Respect the National anthems - Page 4 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Respect the National anthems

alanrevie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ach, didn't think about that one, though I did have Day of the Triffids in the back of my mind when I posted.

What I also neglected to mention, contra Bzzzz, is that Blake's main point seems to be that Jerusalem does not exist in England, hence the need to build the thing.

While I agree completely that England needs its own anthem, and in terms of Parry's tune and Blake's poetry Jerusalem would be a fine addition to the world's collection of the things, its Christian mysticism means that it's not inclusive and so fails a fairly important anthem test. I still think it'd likely be the majority choice though.

Edited by DonnyTJS

8 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Ach, didn't think about that one, though I did have Day of the Triffids in the back of my mind when I posted.

What I also neglected to mention, contra Bzzzz, is that Blake's main point seems to be that Jerusalem does not exist in England, hence the need to build the thing.

While I agree completely that England needs its own anthem, and in terms of Parry's tune and Blake's poetry Jerusalem would be a fine addition to the world's collection of the things, its Christian mysticism means that it's not inclusive and so fails a fairly important anthem test. I still think it'd likely be the majority choice though.

As far as dirges go probably only Jerusalem would beat ours hands down though.

God please repair Buckingham Palace for our gracious Queen..... :sing:

I used to sing GSTQ at England matches just because it was the anthem that we (the FA, ECB, RFU) had chosen to use, but recently when I've attended England matches (in whatever sport), I haven't sung it.

I don't believe in God and I think the Queen can manage on her own and doesn't need to be saved. The problem is what anthem do we use instead of GSTQ?

59 minutes ago, George Saint said:

God please repair Buckingham Palace for our gracious Queen..... :sing:

I used to sing GSTQ at England matches just because it was the anthem that we (the FA, ECB, RFU) had chosen to use, but recently when I've attended England matches (in whatever sport), I haven't sung it.

I don't believe in God and I think the Queen can manage on her own and doesn't need to be saved. The problem is what anthem do we use instead of GSTQ?

Is that a question you really want to ask on a Scottish football forum ? ^?^:wacko:

:lol:

1 hour ago, George Saint said:

You even have a matching dance to go with it! :)

I remember Kernie (Kernaghan) had the Flanders and Swann lyric for his signature. :spin:

And I think it's only fair that they let us do the 'English Haka' when we finally face New Zealand to determine who the best rugby union team in the world is.*

* The best team in the world is, and always will be, New Zealand, but I wasn't going to admit that above. :P

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 3:35 AM, George Saint said:

I remember Kernie (Kernaghan) had the Flanders and Swann lyric for his signature. :spin:

And I think it's only fair that they let us do the 'English Haka' when we finally face New Zealand to determine who the best rugby union team in the world is.*

* The best team in the world is, and always will be, New Zealand, but I wasn't going to admit that above. :P

The english haka? you lot going to try stealing that too? lol

Here's your "english haka"... good luck with that.. 

• 3 months later...