First Pub You Got Served In - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Pub You Got Served In

On the back of the "best pubs" thread.

As stated in there mine was The Venture in Linwood when I was 16/17.  A bizarre choice looking back on it as it was my old mans local so not only did the majority of the punters know I was underage but I spent the entire time I was in there with one eye on the door waiting for him to walk in and kick my arse up the road!  I think it's now a Tesco car park. :worried:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In common with most teenagers in the local area - @killiefaetheferry? -the first pub I got served in was the Fairmont in Stewarton which now has houses built on the site.  I suspect I was about 15.

I also seem to remember the Corn Exchange in Gordon St across from Central Station being reasonably easy to get served in although to be honest I never really had any problem getting served from the age of 16 onwards. 

I've heard stories from people that went to Kilmarnock Academy that in sixth year they used to go into the Kay Park Tavern - which is next door to the Academy - that they used to go in after school for a pint before getting the bus home.

The Black bull in Inverness was mine. Like others have said, was about 15/16.

My old man and his mate took me in after we had been working for the day, during my summer holidays from school.

They bought me  3 pints and I was trying to keep up with them, ended up spewing my wringer when I got home! 

School of hard knocks, I reckon it was!

It would have been the White Hart Hotel in Campbeltown - 'The Hert'.

Had actually been going in to play pool for a couple of years anyway at weekends and school lunchtimes and ordering Irn Bru etc.  Then someone ordered a drink, got it, and the flood gates opened.  I would have been 16 but some were probably still 15.

I remember one time, maybe during exams when we were in during school hours, the barmaid asking if school was shut that day.  Think we all just looked at the floor and muttered 'eh, don't know' as she probably went off grinning.  They knew fine in there.  

4 hours ago, aaid said:

In common with most teenagers in the local area - @killiefaetheferry? -the first pub I got served in was the Fairmont in Stewarton which now has houses built on the site.  I suspect I was about 15.

I also seem to remember the Corn Exchange in Gordon St across from Central Station being reasonably easy to get served in although to be honest I never really had any problem getting served from the age of 16 onwards. 

I've heard stories from people that went to Kilmarnock Academy that in sixth year they used to go into the Kay Park Tavern - which is next door to the Academy - that they used to go in after school for a pint before getting the bus home.

Yes that would be about right, either there of Jimmy Broons. My mates that i went about with all looked older than me and were all working when i was still at school, so I just lurked away from the actual bar area for a good year or so. Used to get served in a boozer in Killie after playing 5's against our teachers  - one of whom was my cousin, and they would buy us a beer :o. Cannae mind the name - it was right across the main road from the bus station. Can't imagine that happening nowadays, the teachers would get punted no doubt. 

My old man would take me for a pint on a Saturday early evening after I started working with him in the butcher's from 16 year old. Was well chuffed. Pished on one pint :lol:

Edited by killiefaetheferry

Caravan holiday in cleethorpes when I was 12 . Canna mind the pub . It was a pint of stones bitter because I thought If I  went for an old man pint I wouldn't get quizzed . Worked a treat . 

Didn't appreciate my old man finding me crying and puking after my third or fourth . Didn't drink again until I was 16 . 

The Crown in Huddersfield when I was 15. I'd watched Coronation Street so I knew how it was done...

"Pint please luv"

Cue a severe look of disdain & "what of?" I went bright red, pointed at the first one I saw, still got served, staggered onto the bus after two & drunkenly asked for (& got) half fare home.

Poor kids these days with bouncers & ID checks!!

15 years old in Bayview Park social club. Was up to see Berwick play East Fife.

3 of us all aged the same and I got them in due to me looking the oldest. No issue, 3 Pints duly served and we retired over to the puggy machine....

2 minutes later the girl who's just served us the pints shouts over "boys, sorry you canny play on that, you've got to be 18."

I can put an exact date on it - was studying for my O grades at the Mitchell Library (Glasgow) & a small crew of us ditched the books to go down to Brooks bar and watch the Roma v Dundee Utd second leg in '84. Aged 15 & wearing a school tie - tried it on for a round of proper drinks and not an eyelid was batted - fkin disgraceful!

Local - Grays Inn when I was 16,got a good 2 years in there then my dad took me for a pint in my 18th and proceeded to tell all the bar staff it was my 18th,thought he might've clicked when I walked in and they had my pint half poured. 

City centre - The Grill,again 16,first works night out when I tried to keep up with the big boys,threw up all over my mums carpet,hoovered it up and my sister came home later with her pals and quizzes in the morning why the carpet was wet. 

Foreign pint - Some hotel in Maastricht when I was 16,teachers bought us them watching the Scotland v Morocco sham in 98 on the annual school trip,all the younger ones got out to their rooms for quiet time and we had a few with them on the promise we told no one as they weren't meant to be drinking either :lol:

8 hours ago, macy37 said:

15 years old in Bayview Park social club. Was up to see Berwick play East Fife.

3 of us all aged the same and I got them in due to me looking the oldest. No issue, 3 Pints duly served and we retired over to the puggy machine....

2 minutes later the girl who's just served us the pints shouts over "boys, sorry you canny play on that, you've got to be 18."

Brilliant stuff