First Pub You Got Served In - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Pub You Got Served In

14 hours ago, neilly71 said:

Derry Treanors ( Tucker's) in the Gorbals. We were 14. Nae bother getting served and at that age none of had anymore than 3 or 4 pints at a time, but if we got loud wee Derry told us tae shut it or he'd be asking for id's. I mind when we were 16, we'd managed in early to the Cueball in Coplaw St, my mate went to the bar and asked for 3 pints, lassie asked him pints of what and he panicked and said "anything", that was us papped right out!

FFS Neilly you'll be as auld as me - you'll mind the Cockatoo & the Star Bar (up near the Plaza) ??

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye across from the arcade? I mainly drink in Sweeneys(old bay horse) or The Granary. 

Know them well SH, I quite like Sweeneys, not so much the Granary, also when i'm in Shawlands sometimes pop into Finlay's (though it's no longer as busy as it used to be)

Is that massive pub Tusk (sure that was it's name) still open ?

2 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Know them well SH, I quite like Sweeneys, not so much the Granary, also when i'm in Shawlands sometimes pop into Finlay's (though it's no longer as busy as it used to be)

Only reason i normally go to the Granary is for food, as Sweeney's don't do food (they give you free sausage rolls/pies on a saturday though)

Sweeney's is a cracking boozer. Findlay's is decent enough too. Tusk has been shut a while mate.

Must have been RGs on Union street (now Maxs I think) when I was a young 16 as I was the youngest in our group of friends. No ID asked for or anything, I'd imagine it was just a pint of Tennents. We used to go there quite a lot and remember my mate standing at the bar when we were about 17 saying "aye I'm definatley gona come here on my 18th" to which the bar guy just looked and said "you mean your 19th" my mate didn't know what to do and just nodded, bright red in the face.

In my local it was later on as 16 but had to use the fake ID I had bought, worked like a charm. knows how as it was shite :lol::lol:

Also got taken by teachers on a ski holiday when we were 6th year, basically we had helped them out a lot during the week so it was a reward of "one drink" turned into a good few and french measures help, also had the assistant head of the school necking voddy oranges. Good times

6 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

FFS Neilly you'll be as auld as me - you'll mind the Cockatoo & the Star Bar (up near the Plaza) ??

Aye, we used to go into the Cockatoo to play pool after signing on! Was only in the Star Bar once, getting a meal with my birds familyon  a bank holiday monday (pure classy!), no sign of Ken Manners! Used to be more over the road in McNee's or Sharkeys in the Gorbals. Always the cueball at the weekend (or the Plaza if we were slumming it!)

Edited by neilly71

6 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Only reason i normally go to the Granary is for food, as Sweeney's don't do food (they give you free sausage rolls/pies on a saturday though)

Sweeney's is a cracking boozer. Findlay's is decent enough too. Tusk has been shut a while mate.

I've drank in Finlay's for years, but I must say it's lost it's way in recent times - I still occasionally  jump in late Friday nights for sentimental reasons, and it's always full of very very very drunk people.  Surprised you haven't mentioned The Quaich in Coustonholm Rd - smashing old pub good to visit before Pollok games.

Quaich is about the only decent boozer left in Shawlands. 

I used to occasionally drink in Finlay's back in the mid 90s but it was very cliquey - the regulars had their own spots at the bar and weren't best pleased if anyone else occupied their berth - a guy with a horrendous mullet was the worst offender. 

The Georgic is still a fine establishment in Shawlands. Not been in for ages though since moving back out to the countryside.

My first pint was in the Drumclog Inn in Strathaven ("The Drum") when I was about 16. I still go in for a post-match pint nowadays, although the beers on offer are pretty bog standard.

I occasionally take a jaunt over to the Georgic on a Saturday evening - it's always mobbed though and the karzis could do with a refurb (the smell of single fish can be a bit overwhelming at times). I remember it when it didn't have a ladies' karzi.

Back in the day when Flora and I would go in Jim Baxter and William McIlvanney would often be propping up the bar.

Sweeney's is disappointing - I was never in it when it was the Bay Horse but I was expecting something a bit swankier (not that I like swanky pubs!).

1 hour ago, Charlie Endell said:

I occasionally take a jaunt over to the Georgic on a Saturday evening - it's always mobbed though and the karzis could do with a refurb (the smell of single fish can be a bit overwhelming at times). I remember it when it didn't have a ladies' karzi.

Back in the day when Flora and I would go in Jim Baxter and William McIlvanney would often be propping up the bar.

Sweeney's is disappointing - I was never in it when it was the Bay Horse but I was expecting something a bit swankier (not that I like swanky pubs!).

I lived in Shawlands for a year while at college. Edgemont Street. Used to see Baxter coming back from the local newsagents with paper and a bottle in his hand while strolling about in his slippers. Brilliant!

Star and Garter, just off union street when I was 16 every Saturday lunchtime prior to Pittodrie. Invariably tried to get back in at night time but got turned away.

Had to settle for Stix because they had a back door enterance with no bouncers, and perhaps Betty Burkes if I was feeling brave. 

Rule of thumb was £10 per 5 pints. Changed days. 

21 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

When was the last time you were in out of interest? I only moved to Shawlands 2 years ago and it's a nice pub. Been done up recently again too.

Choice of largers/ales is best in the area too.

17 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Star and Garter, just off union street when I was 16 every Saturday lunchtime prior to Pittodrie. Invariably tried to get back in at night time but got turned away.

Had to settle for Stix because they had a back door enterance with no bouncers, and perhaps Betty Burkes if I was feeling brave. 

Rule of thumb was £10 per 5 pints. Changed days. 

Was there a nightclub in Aberdeen called something like Charlie's?  I seem to remember being in and getting chucked out of there (same night!) when I was about 16/17 when I briefly worked up there one summer!

Edit - This would have been around 93/94.

Edited by Fairbairn

19 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Was there a nightclub in Aberdeen called something like Charlie's?  I seem to remember being in and getting chucked out of there (same night!) when I was about 16/17 when I briefly worked up there one summer!

Yup. Charlie's used to be an ASC hangout back in the day. It's some trendy bar now full of towie s.

3 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

It wasn't that long ago - I think it was the Bank Holiday at the end of August. I didn't mind it - I was just disappointed as it had been talked up by numerous people and I found it a fairly run-of-the-mill boozer. 

They've made changes to it since then.

I like it. Never any hassle and they have a good selection on tap and inthe fridges. 

9 hours ago, deecie said:

Yup. Charlie's used to be an ASC hangout back in the day. It's some trendy bar now full of towie s.

trendy ?  looks skanky as feck now 

I've not been in there for around 5 years though now - doesn't look appealing at all

17 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Dont think it was ever a nightclub back around that time, it was however one of the first pubs to play music as loud as hell all night which effectively killed off any chance of conversation.

When it first opened it was the place to go on a Friday / Saturday night but slowly went downhill. As someone else said, loads of drink promotions and all what that entails.....

On 17 November 2016 at 2:01 PM, Charlie Endell said:

Was in The Georgic before the Lithuania game. Beer very reasonably priced and wasn't overly busy.

Think it will be the boozer of choice pre home games