Leonard Cohen - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leonard Cohen

In terms of 'poetic expression' perhaps a more fitting recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature than Dylan?

I remember this from a few months back when Marianne Ihlen died:

Mollestad, a documentary maker, read Cohen’s letter to her before she died. “It said well Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

“And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.”

Edited by DonnyTJS

Can't really be "gutted" when someone passes at 82 but it's sad nonetheless.  I discovered Leonard Cohen relatively late in life but very grateful that I did.  I went to his concert at the Clyde Auditorium and it was probably the most spellbinding show I'ev ever been to.  He shuffled on stage like an old man and looked like he'd struggle to reach the mic (he was mid 70s at the time) but once he got there he captivated the entire room for 2 and a half hours.  It's maybe not music you'd put on at a party but he was pretty close to a genius for me.  This was always a favourite of mine and a particularly upbeat number for Leonard!

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Think it was just last month he released his last album - You Want It Darker.  Hadn't got round to buying it yet but will pick it up over the weekend.

Straight to number one now I bet 

2 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

There'll be a day of mourning in EK. 

Too young to die. 

A truly unique beautiful man with so many different elements to his artistry.

Last saw him in Manchester 2013 when he closed the first half of his remarkable 3 hour performance with this fitting song.  

England has Shakespeare.

Scotland has Robbie Burns.

Canada has Leonard Cohen.

Simple as that. Pure beautiful genius