Oli Burke - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli Burke

calmc92

Would you play him from the start bearing in mind he is still very raw, drifts in and out of games, this is a huge game against top top players, knowing he is going to have to do alot of work defensively aswell(keeping shape, tracking runners) and i'm not sure how reliable he is for that (not seen enough of him to judge).

OR..

HOPE the game is tight with 25mins to go and try use him as an impact sub?

I know Gordon talks about experience being key for these games so i'm unsure whether he will start him.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, he is so direct but has the power and pace (Bale-like the way he powers through people). I think after the Slovakia game where a lack of pace really hurt us, he should start. It also gives England another thought about overloading players forward.

If we start with a similar team against slovakia with no pace, England will press up so high knowing there's little to no chance of them being caught out. Especially with the pace of their full backs.

17 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

I agree, he is so direct but has the power and pace (Bale-like the way he powers through people). I think after the Slovakia game where a lack of pace really hurt us, he should start. It also gives England another thought about overloading players forward.

If we start with a similar team against slovakia with no pace, England will press up so high knowing there's little to no chance of them being caught out. Especially with the pace of their full backs.

Agreed. They could give most of our players a ten yard start and still catch them. We need him on the field to stop us being swamped.

Edited by er yir macaroon

Should he start; Yes because we need to hit England on the counter at pace to stand any chance

Will he start; Probably not because Strachan will play the usual suspects in his 451 defensive formation which will lead to a 1-0/2-0 half time score and a 3-0/4-0 full time score 

Really hope I am wrong but feel fairly certain the above will be the case 

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Should he start; Yes because we need to hit England on the counter at pace to stand any chance

Will he start; Probably not because Strachan will play the usual suspects in his 451 defensive formation which will lead to a 1-0/2-0 half time score and a 3-0/4-0 full time score 

Really hope I am wrong but feel fairly certain the above will be the case 

I thought the exact same.. they will grind us down and grab probably 1-0 HT, we try keep it tight with the hope of grabbing a goal that never comes, as we open up they score 2 more. 

1-0 HT 3-0 FT my prediction. Hope i'm wrong, want nothing more than to take something from the game. We have the players to cause them some problems but our defence is a major issue, I remember feeling Slovakia were going to score anytime they attacked us.

Can't help hoping for Burke to make an impact in this game of all games

There's only a very few times you ever get a new talent on the pitch as a relative surprise and do some damage before the opposition know what has hit them

Well you can only dream, eh?

2 hours ago, exile said:

Can't help hoping for Burke to make an impact in this game of all games

There's only a very few times you ever get a new talent on the pitch as a relative surprise and do some damage before the opposition know what has hit them

Well you can only dream, eh?

It would make you weep,...

if you dared to hope, without expecting the worst...

Hard to believe this lad didn't set foot on the pitch in 92 minutes in a game where Ikechi Anya fluffed the ball out of play 3 times, Robert Snodgrass didn't hit a Scotland player with any of his 10 or so free kicks/corners and James Forrest yet again produced nothing.

£13M and quicker than any player we've had since.... Maybe the quickest ever infact, in a game where we needed to counter attack and utilise our pacey players.

Deary me Gordon you really are a delusional poor manager. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Any man that thinks Forrest should play ahead of Burke is not a man that should be in charge of a football team

Yep that was among his worst decisions tonight. Along with Hanley playing instead of Russell Martin and Morrison instead of McArthur.

If John McGinn had came off the bench I think I would've lost the plot.

57 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hard to believe this lad didn't set foot on the pitch in 92 minutes in a game where Ikechi Anya fluffed the ball out of play 3 times, Robert Snodgrass didn't hit a Scotland player with any of his 10 or so free kicks/corners and James Forrest yet again produced nothing.

£13M and quicker than any player we've had since.... Maybe the quickest ever infact, in a game where we needed to counter attack and utilise our pacey players.

I can't believe it either.

I thought even maybe at half time he would come on (maybe too soon at only 1-0) but after 55-60 mins (possibly 2-0 at that point?) I thought it was a certainty.

Then 70-75 mins passed....still no Burke.......................... then FT.:(^?^

10 hours ago, macy37 said:

Incredible that for our last 3 matches he's barely played. Just incredible. About as incredible as the arseholes who clapped and sang for Strachan and kept him his job off the back of it.

Most exciting player we've had since Possibly Dalglish and we don't use him.

Only Scotland would do that.

Norway have been picking Odegaard relentlessly since he was 15 years old, regardless of club game time, because he will be a star and it helps his game - Something again Scotland would never do.

21 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Cannae believe I'm agreeing with you! :o

I never leave a game early, but bringing Ritchie on instead of Burke was the moment I made my way out of the stadium yesterday.

As soon as the 2nd went in Burke should of been on straight away and played up alongside Griffiths.

I remember Strachan saying when he took over that he wanted players in the team that made the crowd excited. Ritchie, Forrest or Burke. No contest.