Oli Burke - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli Burke

calmc92

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dairbee said:

As soon as the 2nd went in Burke should of been on straight away and played up alongside Griffiths.

I remember Strachan saying when he took over that he wanted players in the team that made the crowd excited. Ritchie, Forrest or Burke. No contest. 

Yip agreed. the Change with Paterson probably cost Burke his chance. Or was it Ritchie being more experienced, surprised Martin or Banana never got a chance...

10 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Should have been brought on last night for Morrison instead of McArthur. New manager has to build the team round him.

8 hours ago, AustroSchotte said:

Yip agreed. the Change with Paterson probably cost Burke his chance. Or was it Ritchie being more experienced, surprised Martin or Banana never got a chance...

Disagree.

Burke should have been on from the start.

20 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Most exciting player we've had since Possibly Dalglish and we don't use him.

Only Scotland would do that.

Norway have been picking Odegaard relentlessly since he was 15 years old, regardless of club game time, because he will be a star and it helps his game - Something again Scotland would never do.

100℅ this.

We were all circle jerking about Andy Robertson earning his first cap at 18/19, yet nearly 3 years later he's only just broke into double figures of caps. We are our own worst enemy.

Edited by Rude Gullit

Players not picked as being too young!!  F##kin hare that reason for not selecting someone, fair enough if he isn't good enough or other players are better but age should never be a reason.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.11.2016 at 11:14 AM, Goozay said:

Disagree.

Burke should have been on from the start.

Hoi you I'm still Sitting in the stand in Trnava waiting for the Burke. ...nah reckon our Favorite Drink (Red Bull) told the SFA to go easy wit the kid he's our 15million man and we only Play Him 10 min,  Leipzig rule the SFA There ye go....

On 13/11/2016 at 2:49 PM, Rude Gullit said:

100℅ this.

We were all circle jerking about Andy Robertson earning his first cap at 18/19, yet nearly 3 years later he's only just broke into double figures of caps. We are our own worst enemy.

That we are, lets see what happens come March but a fit Burke should be the first name on the sheet.

Why? Easily the most exciting player we have even in his short career. That and the fact its must win. No excuses.

The lad is almost certain to be playing champions league football next season.

Hell he might even hold a Bundesliga winners medal come May.

Edited by Mazziessc

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

To be fair, so will quite a few of our squad and some that aren't in the squad like Armstrong.

All the better for us. I'd be very disappointed if Armstrong doesn't at least make the bench too come March. Very impressed with him of late.

On 13/11/2016 at 2:49 PM, Rude Gullit said:

100℅ this.

Hmm not really buying that. It's not like Strachan's left him out game after game, we just haven't played very many friendlies, so caps for everyone are on the low side.

Since Robertson's first caps we've played... what? 23 games?
He's played 12 of those.
He's been injured for 3-4.
Was left out cos he play playing the playoff final.
Left out for Tierney to make his debut against Denmark.

So actually only dropped for a handful of games. 2 were friendlies were we tried out Forsyth, since Robertson was the only real left back we had at the time. and 2 were the big games against germany and poland where Strachan went for a more experienced player.

Strachan's done ok at bringing thru young players.
Kingsley, Watt and McKay have all made their debuts.
Paterson's come in and played regularly, has 5 caps now.
McGinn's had a couple of caps despite playing in our most contested position.
Tierney's had a couple of caps, despite the competition with Robertson.
Burke's actually had 4 caps, despite the tears about the 2 games he's been left out.

I can't say for sure, but it feels like we're actually involving more young players than we have for a long time (since Berti had to blood a whole new squad?). I'm sure Burke will be involved in the future, it's disappointing he wasn't against England and Slovakia, but would he have changed those results or lessened the disappointment of them by his involvement? I don't think so.

I think they are using Burke just how they thought they wouldat this point so early on. Mostly sub appearances while they develop him. The fact they paid big bucks for him while still a bit raw makes you think they saw something. If Leipzig win it that would be an extraordinary experience for him. No shame in playing a supporting role in that but from what I have seen a few of their games have turned in their favour soon after the subs (not just him) so hard to say how he is doing without watching him closely. I got a good feeling about the guy. Hope he does well.

edit: you could see some mad scenario where he comes on and scores a crucial goal in their campaign... easily.

Edited by thplinth

He certainly will at the moment as they are winning every week without him starting ! It's still pretty good that he is as involved as he is - another about 15 mins last game after 25 the previous. For a young Scottish guy to be getting that kind of game time 12 games into his first Bundesliga season, with his team 3 points clear of Bayern Munich is pretty decent. Injuries and suspensions to come.......pretty good place for him to be.

remember Burke has played very few games at senior level, let alone Bundesliga. 25 appearances for Forrest and a lot of those will have been as a sub. It will take some time for him to learn where to be on the pitch. I've seen most of his games for Leipzig. He's got an excellent first touch and good vision. The rest is obvious. Already clocked as the second fastest in the Bundesliga - and he'll get a fair bit quicker in the next few years.

12 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

another about 15 mins last game 

Correct, he's actually averaged 17 mins per match. Including a 1 min appearance, a 3 min appearance and two games he didn't play. Add into that the fact he came of the bench and created the winner against Dortmund, which will always be remembered as RBL's first ever top flight win. He scored within 5 minutes against cologne in what I'm sure was his first league start, and he created the crucial second away to Darmstadt also off the bench. 

12 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

remember Burke has played very few games at senior level, let alone Bundesliga. 25 appearances for Forrest and a lot of those will have been as a sub. It will take some time for him to learn where to be on the pitch. I've seen most of his games for Leipzig. He's got an excellent first touch and good vision. The rest is obvious. Already clocked as the second fastest in the Bundesliga - and he'll get a fair bit quicker in the next few years.

Aye? Any link to this, not that a don't believe you! Just that if he's faster than most of Aubameyang, Heller, Costa and Coman that's some feat! 

26 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Correct, he's actually averaged 17 mins per match. Including a 1 min appearance, a 3 min appearance and two games he didn't play. Add into that the fact he came of the bench and created the winner against Dortmund, which will always be remembered as RBL's first ever top flight win. He scored within 5 minutes against cologne in what I'm sure was his first league start, and he created the crucial second away to Darmstadt also off the bench. 

Aye? Any link to this, not that a don't believe you! Just that if he's faster than most of Aubameyang, Heller, Costa and Coman that's some feat! 

Derek Rae, the BT commentator, has access to some data base that shows it. It's on his Twitter account.

Holy shyt ! Are you serious ? He does show himself as quick, but if those stats are correct he should be a centre forward, especially for a team who basically keep it tight and try to break forward (us). I could see a 4-4-2 with Fletcher and Burke working well. Whatever the case, if this young guy has that type of pace he needs to be playing every game for us.

26 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Holy shyt ! Are you serious ? He does show himself as quick, but if those stats are correct he should be a centre forward, especially for a team who basically keep it tight and try to break forward (us). I could see a 4-4-2 with Fletcher and Burke working well. Whatever the case, if this young guy has that type of pace he needs to be playing every game for us.

Does the Leipzig coach no want him to play the No10 role for them... 

48 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Strachan only needs players who run around a lot. Enough of this sensible fast and direct nonsense. ;)

13 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Agree Fletcher and Burke, but Fletcher as centre forward flicking it on for Burke or playing a one-two. What's exciting about Burke is he can pick a pass, and beat a man with skill - even without the pace and power.

23 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Who's fastest then? Robben?

Karim Bellarabi of Bayer Leverkusen (German international.) Burke got clocked at 34.93 km/ph. Compared to this year in the Epl, Burke would be a baw hair behind Jamie Vardy. Also close to Kyle Walker who was third. Some Sunderland reserve, Gooch, is second with Shane Long the fastest at 35.3.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

17 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

17 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Does the Leipzig coach no want him to play the No10 role for them... 

Anyone who has watched Burke will agree there is a lot of work to be done on his technique and touch before he plays as a striker or number 10 for club or country.