Bye Bye Strachan! - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bye Bye Strachan!

BlueBonnetsowertheBorder

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, CNelson said:

What has Moyes actually won? He was well out of his depth with that job, he has 2 titles (Preston NE & Man Utd Community Shield) in his 18 years as a manager not to mention his current win rate at Sunderland & how things turned out at Real.

We need to aim for a winner, yes we are shite but if we continue to settle for mediocracy then is anything ever going to change?

What have any of our managers since Berti Vogts really won? A few trophies with the old firm hardly count when they played in a two horse league. Moyes may have been out his depth an Man Utd, but Van Gaal didn't do any better and Mourinho isn't exactly setting the world in fire, and they both spent a shit load compared to Moyes. Anyone thinking Moyes wouldn't be a step up is kidding themselves on.

17 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

What have any of our managers since Berti Vogts really won? A few trophies with the old firm hardly count when they played in a two horse league. Moyes may have been out his depth an Man Utd, but Van Gaal didn't do any better and Mourinho isn't exactly setting the world in fire, and they both spent a shit load compared to Moyes. Anyone thinking Moyes wouldn't be a step up is kidding themselves on.

I hear your points and get what you are saying but things have been terrible for years with our setup, so why continue to persevere with managers who haven't won anything because that will ultimately lead to the same disappointing outcome? Moyes isn't a bad manager, i'm not saying he. I'm just saying he hasn't won anything. I would rather bring in a manager who has achieved something even if they are not Scottish. 

5 hours ago, CNelson said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37971604

Please not David Moyes. 

Some board members preferring an interim manager should Strachan go. FFS it is this short term thinking that has been one of the drivers in our continued decline. We need to have a long term approach. If Strachan does go this week then we have over 4 months to cast the net and find the right man. Then again I wouldn't trust that shower of idiots that masquerade as the SFA Board to run a menage far less finding a capable replacement

52 minutes ago, CNelson said:

I hear your points and get what you are saying but things have been terrible for years with our setup, so why continue to persevere with managers who haven't won anything because that will ultimately lead to the same disappointing outcome? Moyes isn't a bad manager, i'm not saying he. I'm just saying he hasn't won anything. I would rather bring in a manager who has achieved something even if they are not Scottish. 

He might not have won silverware, but I'd say he achieved things at Everton. He took a team who had been lower end of the table and made them hard to beat and arguably punched above their weight compared to the money he had to spend against the other sides. He made them a top 7-8 side and qualified for the champions league qualifiers. Actually sounds similar to what he'd inherit as Scotland manager. IMO any manager we get, the only success they will have had is if the previously managed the old firm. We're unlikely to be bringing in a Champion league winner. Incidentally I'm all for a foreign manager, in fact think it's almost certain. But if Moyes or Steve Clarke wanted the job I wouldn't complain.

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

He might not have won silverware, but I'd say he achieved things at Everton. He took a team who had been lower end of the table and made them hard to beat and arguably punched above their weight compared to the money he had to spend against the other sides. He made them a top 7-8 side and qualified for the champions league qualifiers. Actually sounds similar to what he'd inherit as Scotland manager. IMO any manager we get, the only success they will have had is if the previously managed the old firm. We're unlikely to be bringing in a Champion league winner. Incidentally I'm all for a foreign manager, in fact think it's almost certain. But if Moyes or Steve Clarke wanted the job I wouldn't complain.

I would say more steadied the ship than achieved. He still only had a PPG average of 1.5 and has an overall career percentage win rate of 42% as manager. As I said I don't think he is a bad manager, I just think his reputation is held in higher regard than it should be. Alex Neil has a win rate of 49% and won promotion with Norwich - surely this holds more weight than any of Moyes achievements? But I agree, foreign is the way forward at this moment in time.

39 minutes ago, CNelson said:

I would say more steadied the ship than achieved. He still only had a PPG average of 1.5 and has an overall career percentage win rate of 42% as manager. As I said I don't think he is a bad manager, I just think his reputation is held in higher regard than it should be. Alex Neil has a win rate of 49% and won promotion with Norwich - surely this holds more weight than any of Moyes achievements? But I agree, foreign is the way forward at this moment in time.

Most of Neil's win ratio will be in the Championship though, Moyes's 42% is mainly in Premiership. Each to their own I suppose.

7 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Most of Neil's win ratio will be in the Championship though, Moyes's 42% is mainly in Premiership. Each to their own I suppose.

Thats true. I look forward to coming back to this debate when we have someone new in place!

A pity that Lagerback is apparently retired from managing & is currently advising the Swedish National manager according to a newspaper report. 

But if Gord walks & with the SFA blazers in a panic on their own future, they should be petitioned to offer Lagerback a contract on the back of his undefeated run against the English.

####sake, that would gie us a wee boost! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/25/iceland-england-euro-2016-coach-lars-lagerback

Edited by OFlowerofScotland

6 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

If trophies at the Old Firm don't count would trophies at Real and Barca count? ?

Nonsense anti-old firm logic there.

Walter didn't win a few, he won 20 trophies and is Rangers most successful manager since the second world war.

McLeish won a treble, 4 other trophies and took Rangers to the last 16 of the champions league.

I think they'd both qualify as ''having won things''

37 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

If trophies at the Old Firm don't count would trophies at Real and Barca count? ?

Walter didn't win a few, he won 20 trophies and is Rangers most successful manager since the second world war.

McLeish won a treble, 4 other trophies and took Rangers to the last 16 of the champions league.

Who cares. They were successful at the big clubs in a two horse second rate league. If you cant win the league as an old firm manager in Scotland you really should take up another line of work

As much as I can't get my head round it.

Mcleish took Motherwell to 2nd in the premier league, won the 1st division with Hibs, won the league cup in England with Birmingham and got promoted from the championship.

I still think he is (was for a while?) the luckiest manager in football, but he must've been doing something right.

McLeish also dismantled the best Motherwell team in generations, left to confirm Hibs' relegation, took Birmingham down etc.

He seems to frequently do an incredible job when he arrives before tailing off - I've no doubt he'd boost us short-term if he returned but whether he'd be a long-term solution I'm less convinced.

Anyway. 

It's hard not to think Michael O'Neill would be the good candidate if interested but I really don't see why he'd want to ditch NI for Scotland - the risk/reward ratio on that move for him would seem massively skewed against us.

I'd also be happy if we gave it to Anna Signuel but I doubt that's realistic either.

It's worth remembering that a lack of viable replacements was one of the main reasons the SFA were happy GS decided to stay in 2015. We're now all but out of the World Cup so if we're going to tempt a foreigner to lead a diabolical team into semi-meaningless games until late 2018, we're going to have hand out a very generous contract - does anyone trust the SFA to get that right? Strachan, for all his flaws, is still by far the best of the last three coaches they've picked!

So with that in mind, I'm not actually in a rush to have Strachan punted...he clearly needs to go before the next Euro campaign starts but taking time to get the right decision and even waiting for changes in the managerial market - most likely next spring/summer - would seem preferable to a new marriage in haste just for the sake of it.

If he goes, it will be his choice, the SFA would have acted by now if it was their choice. To me, this shows that the SFA are utterly incompetent and happy to continue with a failing manager.

Listening to BBC Sportsound, the media whanks are too busy licking his erse, its pathetic.

I hope the next attendances for Scotland games are awful, they dont deserve our support.

17 hours ago, kumnio said:

England was my last game if he stays, not a chance I will be at Slovenia or England games at Hampden. They can stick it up their Strachan. 

my thoughts on the situation also :ok: I left after the 3rd goal went in on Friday night and vowed not to go back under Strachan

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

If he goes, it will be his choice, the SFA would have acted by now if it was their choice. To me, this shows that the SFA are utterly incompetent and happy to continue with a failing manager.

Listening to BBC Sportsound, the media whanks are too busy licking his erse, its pathetic.

I hope the next attendances for Scotland games are awful, they dont deserve our support.

Agreed!

Hoping this boycott grows arms and legs and the attendance is <10K for Slovenia.

On the back of that we should get a reaction from the SFA who will start to panic that they have lost the "bonnie Scotland we'll support you ever more" element of fans who have paid their expenses for years. If they continue as normal without any reaction we can say they DEFINITELY don't deserve our support and continue to stay away and save our hard earned cash for better things

Edited by clarky1606

13 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Who cares. They were successful at the big clubs in a two horse second rate league. If you cant win the league as an old firm manager in Scotland you really should take up another line of work

Or maybe because the pressure is bigger than any other club in Scotland, it shows their managerial ability to cope with pressure and expectation....something all of our managers since have failed to do.

Smith and McLeish are our 2 best managers since Brown.

But don't let your logic get in the way of your chip on your shoulder about the old firm.

2 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Or maybe because the pressure is bigger than any other club in Scotland, it shows their managerial ability to cope with pressure and expectation....something all of our managers since have failed to do.

Smith and McLeish are our 2 best managers since Brown.

But don't let your logic get in the way of your chip on your shoulder about the old firm.

Berti Vogts got Scotland to a play offs, something all these ex old firm managers with their ability to cope with pressure and expectations failed to do. But don't let your logic get in the way if your old firm/Rangers bias. Thanks for the chat. ?

20 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

McLeish took Rangers thru ten games without a win. Can you imagine that in a two horse race?   

12 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

As much as I can't get my head round it.

Mcleish took Motherwell to 2nd in the premier league, won the 1st division with Hibs, won the league cup in England with Birmingham and got promoted from the championship.

I still think he is (was for a while?) the luckiest manager in football, but he must've been doing something right.

The Well fans at my work (too many of them) tell me McLeish got lucky in his first season and was found out when he had to rebuild McLean's team. 

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

The Well fans at my work (too many of them) tell me McLeish got lucky in his first season and was found out when he had to rebuild McLean's team. 

Yeah, it was a bit of a running gag, that just as things took a turn for the worse, he'd get a bigger job.

How we chuckled when he left Rangers, then he got the bloody Scotland job!

:lol:

His flaws at Motherwell and Rangers seemed to be identifying/signing players.

Taking a team to the next level appeared to be something he could do, even with Scotland to be fair, be it man management or whatever, he seemed to get the best out of someone else's team. So probably a good coach?