We are a pathetic nation of losers - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We are a pathetic nation of losers

macy37

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Completely agree. There are a few people way too far up their own arses on here . I am old enough to remember the fans of the 7O' and 80's and they looked and acted no less ridiculous than some of the fans today. I think there are a few people with very selective memories. 

I was leaving Wembley with my husband last night and the scottish fans were subected to the most vulgar abuse i have ever witnessed at a football game,  from an element of the English support . THAT is what you call losers. The decent english supporters around us apologised saying they were completely disgusted by their behaviour.  But hey, lets have a pop at some guys out for a trip away, having a bit much to drink and singing doh a deer.

I am as depressed as everyone else but turning on your own fans is not the answer as they are not the problem. 

Oh, and lets not forget the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal .  The people who organise, promote and contribute towards this great charity are,  surprisingly, our fans. 

I think you need to re read my post again and my response to the above

Nobody is turning on anyone

Why is everyone missing the "blind loyalty and acceptance of failure" bit that is the crucial point as well as the game being a sideshow for many ?

If you dont think thats a problem then you are part of it sadly - as i was !

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

In that we lost last night and against Slovakia, yes, we are losers. However, I take great offence to you stating that me, my fellow Scots and Scotland football supporters are pathetic and further implying that we are somehow hapless in our lives. Scotland is a great nation and you are an absolute disgrace to make this statement which I hope is made in frustration as a knee jerk reaction to last night's defeat and that you regret making. My nation's team did compete but again failed to take chances in front of goal and defended crosses badly. We lost away to group's top seed. 

Last night wasn't the straw that broke the camels back. 

Hand on heart,no one expected anything last night. 

The constant let downs like Lithuania etc are what kills us. 

Look at the record last 2 years,we've beaten Malta,Gibraltar and just got by roi. 

The game here is dead,it needs ripped apart from the ground up. 

I agree with blind loyalty adding to our problems. However I like doe a deer, I don't mind anyone supporting the team, if they pay their money theyre entitled to sing whatever they want.

I cant stand the folk that get so blooterred, they don't know what planet the match is never mind whats goin on.

I don't like folk that think they're better than others cos they've got 500 badges/6ft feather,kilt and trainers.

Oh each to their own...........but as long as theyre not abusive,good luck to them.

Oh, and lets not forget the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal .  The people who organise, promote and contribute towards this great charity are,  surprisingly, our fans........................AND WELL DONE TO EVERYONE INVOLVED.

We are where we are for various reasons, as this thread is regarding the fans, my tuppence on this issue is quite negative.

Ive argued over this point before, and some people just cant accept any criticism at all, but a large percentage of our fans are nothing more than happy clappers, delusional head in the sand optimistic, happy go lucky fans who are happy with defeat, as long as its done their way. Never criticise the manager, the players, the fans, the SFA, lets just say everything is great. It hasnt worked for 20 years, and theres no sign of it changing soon.

The people wanting Levein to stay after Prague, then after he fcked up one campaign, the people backing Burley despite him being not up to it, the people backing Strachan after failing for the last few years, the happy clappers in Portugal, you people are significantly to blame for our downfall. Accepting defeat will always lead to defeat.

Strachan has turned into an almighty clusterfck of an appointment, yet people on other threads are saying nonsense like, if we win against Slovenia and England we are right back in it. FFS people, get a backbone, grow a pair or something.

Scotland fans give the team great backing, and the trips are great fun, but the football is turning into a nightmare, and enoughs enough. 

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think you need to re read my post again and my response to the above

Nobody is turning on anyone

Why is everyone missing the "blind loyalty and acceptance of failure" bit that is the crucial point as well as the game being a sideshow for many ?

If you dont think thats a problem then you are part of it sadly - as i was !

Ally, I will openly admit that I enjoy your contibutions to this board immensly, and agree with you on far more than not. Nor do I think you are  accusing the fans as losers, my comments on that were more directed to the OP.

However I do not agree that the fans are part of the problem as though that has never been the case in the past. In the 'olden days' we had as equal an amount of supporters that were there  for a laugh and a good time as there are just now. But the success of the team in those days disguised this to an extent.

There is a new generation of young guys and girls who want to do go support their country and have a laugh and a good time and fook me if I am going to be the miserable old sod who tells them they are part of the problem. This is just deflecting the blame and I would much rather spend time sorting the real problem.

Says the wummin who has just spent 5 mins of her valuable time typing this ?

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

However I do not agree that the fans are part of the problem as though that has never been the case in the past. In the 'olden days' we had as equal an amount of supporters that were there  for a laugh and a good time as there are just now. But the success of the team in those days disguised this to an extent.

There is a new generation of young guys and girls who want to do go support their country and have a laugh and a good time and fook me if I am going to be the miserable old sod who tells them they are part of the problem. This is just deflecting the blame and I would much rather spend time sorting the real problem.

Says the wummin who has just spent 5 mins of her valuable time typing this ?

It's one thing going in droves tartaned up to the nines when the team is winning and qualifying for tournaments.

That along with the arrogance that goes with it is encouraged

It's another thing when we are a 4th rate footballing nation with every sign pointing to us getting worse rather than better.

When we keep turning up in large numbers home and away and looking joyful, happy and exuberant it gives the SFA a sense of wellbeing - and we see how that has worked out over the years.

You would think that same association would want to give those fans something to cheer about as well as keeping them happy so they keep coming back

Our SFA evidently hasnt mainly because they dont need to

Seeing what a small country like Iceland has done to increase their chances of success is galling

If our SFA were seen to at least be trying then i would accept it

It's as if they deliberately want us to be utter pish because we have been having this conversation since at least 1993 when i witnessed with my own eyes Portugal taking 5 off us

The night a team died they said

Edited by Ally Bongo

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's one thing going in droves tartaned up to the nines when the team is winning and qualifying for tournaments.

It's another thing when we are a 4th rate footballing nation with every sign pointing to us getting worse rather than better.

When we keep turning up in large numbers home and away and looking joyful, happy and exuberant it gives the SFA a sense of wellbeing - and we see how that has worked out over the years.

You would think that same association would want to give those fans something to cheer about as well as keeping them happy so they keep coming back

Seeing what a small country like Iceland has done to increase their chances of success is galling

It's as if they are deliberately want us to be utter pish because we have been having this conversation since at least 1993 when i witnessed with my own eyes Portugal taking 5 off us

Agree re the SFA and that looking joyous gives the wrong impression that all is well. However I did not see many joyous fans last night, being beaten soundly by your bitter enemies would appear to be a step too far for the  'happy clappers'. 

I do not know what the answer is but I dont think losing our fan base will help. 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Agree re the SFA and that looking joyous gives the wrong impression that all is well. However I did not see many joyous fans last night, being beaten soundly by your bitter enemies would appear to be a step too far for the  'happy clappers'. 

I do not know what the answer is but I dont think losing our fan base will help. 

Maybe they could start taking plenty "SFA get to fvck" banners and singing it too

That would be a happy medium - id maybe even start going back !

If we are going to have anti-SFA banners I'm all for it, but spell the guy's name right - he's Regan like The Sweeney, no Reagan like the last mad president the Americans had.

Can I say a wee word in favour of Doh a Deer? I now associate it with the 1-0 victory over France. After they'd hammered us for half an hour, had the ball in the net twice but it was still 0-0, France ran out of ideas and there was a wee surge of hope round Hampden and it coincided with a round of Doh a Deer which confused the chuff out of their fans and probably players as well.

Doh a Deer is fine with me.

10 hours ago, AustroSchotte said:

Calm...calm...a bit o calm is always good............

the Person complaining of the abuse suffered from the english Support .............come on reallly....honestly.....ohhhh !! haha !

Poor you.

I was trying to show the OP that the real losers are the fans who throw disgusting diatribe around and were clearly attempting to start a fight. Not those singing doh a deer. Perhaps you find it acceptable for women and children to be called every sort of c*nt in the english language, being a woman I do not. 

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's as if they deliberately want us to be utter pish because we have been having this conversation since at least 1993 when i witnessed with my own eyes Portugal taking 5 off us

Very good post sir. 

On 12 November 2016 at 11:02 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Ive been saying this for a while. We the fans are also partly to blame with this blind loyalty. As long as we give them the money they won't care, the longer we accept the utter dross and lap it up with standing ovations nothing will change

A boycott is the only way forward but I struggle to see it taking off due to the elitist attitude of a portion of the fans who think they are better than everyone else 

On 11/12/2016 at 10:43 PM, kumnio said:

We are where we are for various reasons, as this thread is regarding the fans, my tuppence on this issue is quite negative.

Ive argued over this point before, and some people just cant accept any criticism at all, but a large percentage of our fans are nothing more than happy clappers, delusional head in the sand optimistic, happy go lucky fans who are happy with defeat, as long as its done their way. Never criticise the manager, the players, the fans, the SFA, lets just say everything is great. It hasnt worked for 20 years, and theres no sign of it changing soon.

The people wanting Levein to stay after Prague, then after he fcked up one campaign, the people backing Burley despite him being not up to it, the people backing Strachan after failing for the last few years, the happy clappers in Portugal, you people are significantly to blame for our downfall. Accepting defeat will always lead to defeat.

Strachan has turned into an almighty clusterfck of an appointment, yet people on other threads are saying nonsense like, if we win against Slovenia and England we are right back in it. FFS people, get a backbone, grow a pair or something.

Scotland fans give the team great backing, and the trips are great fun, but the football is turning into a nightmare, and enoughs enough. 

Agree 100% - a large number of our day trip brigade are happy to accept absolute failure, as long as they can clown around & bear their arses to the locals, it honestly looks as if the fitba to them is the least important part of the day / trip / weekend (sadly)

On 11/12/2016 at 11:02 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Good post Ally, completely agree.

On 11/12/2016 at 11:02 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Spot on.

I think this campaign is the straw that broke the camels back for many, there's only so much you can take. 

Even our crowd again Lithuania was remarkable IMO given what has gone on the previous 18 years. Not many countries in the world would still be able to pull that kind of crowd given the prices/form/apathy.

Walking out Wembley on Friday, there were plenty of folk saying that's their swansong, myself included. I said after Faro that i wouldn't be at another away game for the foreseeable and would play it by ear for the homes. England away persuaded me to have one last trip but i can't see me going on anymore anytime soon. Life's simply too short to spend hundreds/thousands each year watching that sh1te. Same with the majority of my mates. 40 odd away games but enough is enough.

The SFA don't give a sh1te, so why should we. 

As an outsider looking in it always amazes me how Scotland in football just lack the belief and confidence required to get over the line. I'm convinced if you lot got a decent manager that played to your strengths then you'd start to grind out results. Scotland played responsibly well on Friday but there's zero chance Ireland or N.Ireland would've conceded three goals. I'm not saying we would've won but it certainly wouldn't have been 3-0. Scotland need a game plan that suits your strengths and you need to have a steely resolve. The outright hilarity of the TA's reaction to their Barcelonaesque passing the ball around against Germany and getting three points against us showed a weakness in the mentality. The job wasn't done. It was nowhere near done and then the collapse happened. 

I'm not saying this stuff to have a go but it's just a second set of eyes from the outside giving their opinion. We (Ireland) find ourselves in a fantastic position. Top of the group with Austria, Wales and Serbia all yet to visit Dublin and we're four points clear of Wales.. We're not getting carried away yet though. We don't play pretty but we're getting the job done. Scotland need to look at how we set up and how we manage results. If I was the SFA I would throw all sorts of Scottish Sterling at Michael O'Neill to leave N.Ireland. I'd have zero doubt he'd get Scotland back to the promised land. As a fellow football fan I'd urge you all to not stop believing. Three years ago we went to Austria and got humiliated 3-1 and the future couldn't have looked worse. Three years later we've since enjoyed a decent European Championship and automatic qualification is in our hands with four home games out of six remaining. If you cant believe in yourself Scotland then what's the point? 

24 minutes ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

. As a fellow football fan I'd urge you all to not stop believing. Three years ago we went to Austria and got humiliated 3-1 and the future couldn't have looked worse. Three years later we've since enjoyed a decent European Championship and automatic qualification is in our hands with four home games out of six remaining.

Err they didnt score 3 we didn't score  1 and though well beaten 1-0 we were not humiliated  but apart from that