We are a pathetic nation of losers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We are a pathetic nation of losers

macy37

It's in our DNA.

Skim through the threads on here and it's astonishing how many are defending our inability to compete as a nation.

Either that or they are trying to justify why we are continually struggling by making weak and pathetic excuses.

That's before we get to the choice of new gaffer. Smith, Jordan, Ferguson and endless other pie in the sky or just plain stupid choices based on our romantic braveheart pish mentality.

Lastly the amount of folk claiming we played ok or even well last night has me on the brink of chucking it. 

Losers, a nation of ing losers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, macy37 said:

It's in our DNA.

Skim through the threads on here and it's astonishing how many are defending our inability to compete as a nation.

Either that or they are trying to justify why we are continually struggling by making weak and pathetic excuses.

That's before we get to the choice of new gaffer. Smith, Jordan, Ferguson and endless other pie in the sky or just plain stupid choices based on our romantic braveheart pish mentality.

Lastly the amount of folk claiming we played ok or even well last night has me on the brink of chucking it. 

Not sure Andy Murray is a loser.... Is he no Scottish?

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

It's in our DNA.

Just chuck it then. All you ever do is moan.

12 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Just to clarify I'm talking about the nations footballers and football supporters.

Sorry for not making this clear.

In that we lost last night and against Slovakia, yes, we are losers. However, I take great offence to you stating that me, my fellow Scots and Scotland football supporters are pathetic and further implying that we are somehow hapless in our lives. Scotland is a great nation and you are an absolute disgrace to make this statement which I hope is made in frustration as a knee jerk reaction to last night's defeat and that you regret making. My nation's team did compete but again failed to take chances in front of goal and defended crosses badly. We lost away to group's top seed. 

There was a time when Scotland fans were great ambassadors for the country but still had an edge to us

That ended around 1998

For the last 18 years the Scotland support has gradually reduced itself to a parody

The majority of our away support consists of guys who are more interested in poncing around a foreign country in ridiculous attire and wanting to be the centre of attention than they are with the actual game which has become a sideshow

49 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Just to clarify I'm talking about the nations footballers and football supporters.

Women's team seem to be playing well above themselves.

As many others have pointed out, we have the world's best tennis player (and his brither is one of the world's best doubles players and the world's best wheelchair tennis player is Scottish too).

We're no bad at cycling, swimming, rowing, snooker, bowls. We're among the world's best at curling. Even the rugby league team had a good result last night.

For our size as a nation we are brilliant at sport.

Men's fitba is, unfortunately, one of the exceptions.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. Nobody does, The problems are overwhelming. Yes, Strachan, Regan, Doncaster (especially the latter two) should walk, but replacing them with Pele and St Peter still wouldn't sort things for a long, long time.

6 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

What a load of shite!! just because 11 players of a ballsportsteam lose to another 11? sportsmen, well paid egos playing for themselves dont determine your character as a nation. your taking it a bit too far here. 

I agree.

The fans ain't the problem here it is the debacle that our national team is and the terrible state of the infrastructure of the game in Scotland that needs addressed.

Over our recent managers McLeish was the only one who I felt had us punching above our weight. (Although he also had his weird Georgia night too.) Had he had any of the others manager's campaigns I think he would have qualified at least once by now. Both world cup finalists in our group, we had no chance and yet we got really close with McLeish. And then after he left we handed much easier groups to Levein who played in fear from day one. Strachan was just the tonic for a while but he ran out of steam and the players I think got sick of him as well as the fans.

If we can get a decent manager to get us back to punching at or above our weight I see no reason why would not qualify given a reasonable group. Opportunities do not come up every time so when they do we have to be ready to take the chance. Too often when the chance comes up with a decent group we have some clown running the team.

Unfortunately now any manager that does do well with Scotland will be seen as some sort footballing miracle worker and will be immediately offered big bucks to go elsewhere. You pay peanuts...

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

wanting to be the centre of attention than they are with the actual game which has become a sideshow

TBF that decribes many fans behaviour at club games these days, especially at big clubs and more especially at big clubs in big leagues (EPL - Man Utd, Liverpool). They think the game should all be about them and SSN hysteria 24/7.

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There was a time when Scotland fans were great ambassadors for the country but still had an edge to us

That ended around 1998

For the last 18 years the Scotland support has gradually reduced itself to a parody

The majority of our away support consists of guys who are more interested in poncing around a foreign country in ridiculous attire and wanting to be the centre of attention than they are with the actual game which has become a sideshow

Utter bollocks. Getting a bit sick of all this blaming certain groups of fans for our ills. Been to some cracking away games over last 25 years with great atmosphere. Milan, Dortmund, Oslo, Bari, Kaunas and not always to watch a win or decent performance. 

What exactly is wrong with travelling to watch Scotland away support the team during the game but dress how they want, make friends, don't cause trouble, have a few beers, catch up with mates and see a bit more of a foreign country than a fookin Irish bar. 

Hey if some want to dress like loons and get their face in the local rag or tv then fair enough as long as come match time they are facing the pitch and singing their support. 

Again people slag the 'doh a deer' crowd but one of best atmospheres was singing that for 20 mins non stop whilst a riot was going on below in the San siro between Italian fans. 

Im sure it was probably easier supporting Scotland pre 1998 on the basis that we had a successful team (relatively) that actuallly qualified for something. 

Quite honestly surprised we still take the numbers travelling we do.

20 minutes ago, teale27 said:

Utter bollocks. Getting a bit sick of all this blaming certain groups of fans for our ills. Been to some cracking away games over last 25 years with great atmosphere. Milan, Dortmund, Oslo, Bari, Kaunas and not always to watch a win or decent performance. 

What exactly is wrong with travelling to watch Scotland away support the team during the game but dress how they want, make friends, don't cause trouble, have a few beers, catch up with mates and see a bit more of a foreign country than a fookin Irish bar. 

Hey if some want to dress like loons and get their face in the local rag or tv then fair enough as long as come match time they are facing the pitch and singing their support. 

Again people slag the 'doh a deer' crowd but one of best atmospheres was singing that for 20 mins non stop whilst a riot was going on below in the San siro between Italian fans. 

Im sure it was probably easier supporting Scotland pre 1998 on the basis that we had a successful team (relatively) that actuallly qualified for something. 

Think you need to re read my post

At no point did i say there was anything wrong with it - but it's one of many reasons why we are where we are 

Blind loyalty and acceptance of failure is the point

If you dont think Scotland fans have become a parody then you are not looking hard enough round about you - or arent yet fed up with doh-a-dear when we are getting horsed

42 minutes ago, teale27 said:

Completely agree. There are a few people way too far up their own arses on here . I am old enough to remember the fans of the 7O' and 80's and they looked and acted no less ridiculous than some of the fans today. I think there are a few people with very selective memories. 

I was leaving Wembley with my husband last night and the scottish fans were subected to the most vulgar abuse i have ever witnessed at a football game,  from an element of the English support . THAT is what you call losers. The decent english supporters around us apologised saying they were completely disgusted by their behaviour.  But hey, lets have a pop at some guys out for a trip away, having a bit much to drink and singing doh a deer.

I am as depressed as everyone else but turning on your own fans is not the answer as they are not the problem. 

Oh, and lets not forget the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal .  The people who organise, promote and contribute towards this great charity are,  surprisingly, our fans.