Better Options at Centre Back? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Better Options at Centre Back?

Super_Scotlandfan

Surely it’s time to look at other options at centre back - but is there anything better out there?

Other than Hanley, Berra and Martin who else is out there? All three have proven to be positionally unaware,capable of mistakes and lacking under pressure. Surely we should be looking to the future/other options if we want to qualify for a major championships. People go on about Hanley being young but he’s shown zero improvement in the last 3 or 4 years and can’t get a start for a championship team.

Guys in the Scottish Prem - Mark Reynolds, Danny Wilson aren’t good enough, not sure if there’s anything else. Can we stick in John Souttar already? He definitely has the potential.

An interesting option could be Steven Caulker at QPR - if he’s called up and is fully committed, he could be the answer. Anyone know if we’ve made any moves for him recently?

A shorter term option could be Darren Fletcher at centre back. He’s got nowhere near the energy and penetration you used to have in midfield. He’s unbelievably committed, intelligent, composed and at 32 he could prolong his career playing here.

We need to change something at centre back, hopefully Gordon/a new manager has the foresight to do this.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I have seen of Hanley the more he reminds me of Gary Caldwell. He is too handy pulling jerseys when either attacking or defending - dangerous trait that. He also has poor positional sense. As others said last night I can't understand why Strachan opted for Hanley over Russell Martin who is the lesser of two evils.

No doubting we need to cast our net further afield and give the likes of Souttar a chance along with perhaps Cooper at Leeds. We can't do any worse than we are at present.

the problem isn't who is out there

it's Strachan playing a guy who hadn't started a club game since August

martin or Greer would have done a reasonable job last night as they have every time they've played

when he was picking martin and hanley for the last three games everyone was crying out for martin and Berra, then he goes and picks Hanley and berra

and Hanley unsurprisingly was shite again

15 minutes ago, Bino's said:

the problem isn't who is out there

it's Strachan playing a guy who hadn't started a club game since August

martin or Greer would have done a reasonable job last night as they have every time they've played

when he was picking martin and hanley for the last three games everyone was crying out for martin and Berra, then he goes and picks Hanley and berra

and Hanley unsurprisingly was shite again

Strachan probably done  eeny meeny miny mo when he was choosing Martin or Hanley 

20 minutes ago, JECK said:

Truth is Strachan could have played any combination of defenders available to us and it wouldnt have made a difference - none of them are good enough at this level.

Correct.  Souter is miles away from being an international centre half.  He captained the u21s and they got a pumping too.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Caulker clearly isn't the answer given that he's English. 

Open your mind.

Caulker is as eligible to play for Scotland as anyone else in the squad.

If he feels his Scottish heritage is enough to represent us with 100% commitment and effort then who is anyone to question him. If not then sack him off - all i'm saying is that he should be considered. 

13 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Fletcher as sweeper in a back 5?

Jings, no.

Did you see the goals we conceded last night and in Slovakia ? 

Twice Fletcher stood still and allowed a guy to run off him. He's not a defender.

Agree about Caulker. Not convinced on Cooper. Souttar has to be in the squad from next year if he continues to develop. Martin should have played. I don't mind Berra. Greer is too old now. Hanley should be nowhere near the squad until he learns the basics and is playing regularly.

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Open your mind.

Caulker is as eligible to play for Scotland as anyone else in the squad.

If he feels his Scottish heritage is enough to represent us with 100% commitment and effort then who is anyone to question him. If not then sack him off - all i'm saying is that he should be considered. 

If he was 100% committed then presumably he would not have chosen to play for England and not waited for his career to bomb before showing a half hearted interest in playing for us.

I'm pretty sure the home nations have an agreement not to pick players that have already played a full international for another British team and its not right anyway, it would just cheapen the jersey further (if it could look any cheaper than last night's girlish apparel)

had a thought before has anyone ever went with 4 centre halfs before, aswell as full backs? 2 midfielders, 1 forward and one in behind. Genuinely thinking this given we have shipped f***** 8 goals already in this campaign. Fletcher as one those centre halfs is mental though as he you couldn't get a Sunday Post under him - he can barely jump.

31 minutes ago, mcnish said:

If he was 100% committed then presumably he would not have chosen to play for England and not waited for his career to bomb before showing a half hearted interest in playing for us.

I'm pretty sure the home nations have an agreement not to pick players that have already played a full international for another British team and its not right anyway, it would just cheapen the jersey further (if it could look any cheaper than last night's girlish apparel)

He was called up by the country of his birth. Why would he have turned it down? He can be as committed as he was for them as he can be for Scotland. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

I don't believe capping a player completely eligible would cheapen the shirt. 

If players are eligible, give their all for the shirt and improve the squad then we need to call them up. 

Anyway, this thread should be about trying different players at centre back, not eligibility! Hopefully it'll get back to that...

Kingsley at centre back seems a good shout, especially as we're well covered at left back. Never seen him play there though, definitely something that should be tried out in a friendly unless he's moved into the middle for Swansea.