Trafalgar Square - Page 2 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trafalgar Square

MarkNorquay

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a fight it must have been pretty low scale as I was there when it was supposed to take place. My son wanted to see Trafalgar Square as it was his first Wembley visit. TS isn't my ideal way of pre match "entertainment" unless you enjoy watching inebriated guys making tits out of themselves. On this occasion it seemed to be pretty restrained compared to previous years. Not got a problem with blootering a lightweight fitba about but taking a dip in fountains which formed part of a commemoration was neither big nor clever.

However, anyone who was unfortunate enough to be in the same carriage on the way to Wembley as the pondlife giving it "10 German Bombers" would have witnessed a new level of disrespecting the dead of previous conflicts on a day we should have been remembering them.

In saying that, 99.9 percent of both sets of fans were absolutely fine in their behaviour in my experience. What was it? Two arrests out of 87,000? Get a grip Daily Record...  

10 minutes ago, GLOSTA said:

We has a great time with the Grimsby fans in a pub on Chandos St. They showed us video of being pelted with cans and bottles because they walked into the square showing an England flag.

Best behaved support?

Not anymore, best support in terms of numbers following a rank rotten team but not best overall

Thats why the games away to smaller places with lower allocation are the best as it weeds out the riffraff

Gibraltar, Malta and now Wembley has seen a few one trip wonders turn up behaving like complete cockwombles. Prague to a lesser extent also

as for folk paggering in a boozer, it happens 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

40 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Not anymore, best support in terms of numbers following a rank rotten team but not best overall

Thats why the games away to smaller places with lower allocation are the best as it weeds out the riffraff

Gibraltar, Malta and now Wembley has seen a few one trip wonders turn up behaving like complete cockwombles. Prague to a lesser extent also

Totally agree. Seemed like a load of folk that had never been out the house before.

I shall not be attending a game now for a while. 

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

There is no defending the blokes on front of Sunday Mail, should be banned if discovered to be SSC members (although that might not be a bad thing judging by our current results).

One guy went into the fountain to get a ball. Is that really worth a ban? It didn't affect the floating poppies at all

That article is a disgrace / over reaction.

No doubt the original head line was meant to be about our fans not respecting Armistice day.  However, to a man, the minutes silence inside the stadium was impeccably observed.  So no doubt they had to come up with another angle ? ;)

We spent most of the day in the pub - then noticed at 4pm on the web cams that Trafalgar square had filled up with Tartan Army.  This was several hours after the Armistice ceremony had finished at 11am!  Have to say the behavior was what you would expect for a large group of football fans drinking in a public space.  Basically lots of singing and folk drinking carry outs.  No bins to put rubbish in (....not that I condone litter) and some folk pissing in public (which isn't ideal) but apart from that it really was a case of "nothing to see here".

That article had an agenda and went looking for the very worst behavior it could find in a large group of ~5000 people.

10 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

That article had an agenda and went looking for the very worst behavior it could find in a large group of ~5000 people.

and some drunken buffoons were only too happy to give them what they wanted. 

54 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Totally agree. Seemed like a load of folk that had never been out the house before.

I shall not be attending a game now for a while. 

Pretty bad state of affairs when good supporters like Scott and his family are put off attending games .

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the bunch of English neds down behind the goals who spent the whole match taunting and threatening us over the narrow divide. Stewards did nothing about them but lifted a young Scots guy with a tartan horn hat who rose to the bait . His mate was also a total pratt, lucky not to be huckled . A pretty nasty atmosphere all match in that part of the ground .

I was pleasantly surprised with the behaviour of the Scotland support. I saw very little anti-social behaviour or absolutely jaked fans in the ground.

Some examples of bawbaggery in this story, but as someone said, not sure if there was a bit of an agenda? The guy in the fountain looks like it may be deliberately put in a context that makes it look much worse than it really was. This sort of stuff has been happening all over the world for as long as I've been going (these 2 things are not directly related! :lol: ) I'm not saying it shouldn't be highlighted, but why now?

Having said all that, and to contradict myself, perhaps it is about time the worst of our travelling support were shamed into sorting their act out.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Some examples of bawbaggery in this story, but as someone said, not sure if there was a bit of an agenda? The guy in the fountain looks like it may be deliberately put in a context that makes it look much worse than it really was.

Yip - a dude in his boxers fishing a football out a fountain is hardly an example of "outrageous behavior".  The fact they even used this as example shows how desperate they were (the armistice day event finished hours earlier and the fountains were long turned off).

Compared to a Scotland-England game in the 1980s this was a non-event :D
I am pretty pleased with can now play them again and fans of both sides can go to the game feeling safe.

Edited by Haggis_trap

Lots of self righteousness going on here. I was there from about half 2 onwards, and as always in a crowd that big there was a couple of bawbags but nothing aggressive or threatening. The tourists and many England fans that were there took it good spirit and had a good laugh with us.

saying that a couple of one trip wonders on the tube were complete fannies. An enormous over reaction to what was a good party. Oh and why didn't the thumb play in snoddy, that's the biggest crime I witnessed all day

14 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Some of the riff raff are the folk that go to every away game.

Your wallpaper plastering flashers and such like.

15 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

One guy went into the fountain to get a ball. Is that really worth a ban? It didn't affect the floating poppies at all

I'd happily ban anyone who think punting a fitba about a busy square is a good idea. Absolute bawbag behaviour that occurs at every single away game. 

Hold the front page..................some Tartan Army get very drunk. Like that's never happened in the past, e.g. 60s, 70s, etc. Irregular attenders, very regular attenders, they all do silly things when drunk and the Tartan Army like to drunk far more than they should.........old and young, 8 pointers and non-members, professionals and builders, students and office workers, male and female.

Overall I saw some of that but also plenty of fun and great ambassadors for Scotland in our cultural friendly, funny but drink too much compared to other countries persona. That's what Scots are like whether club or country football fans, rugby, regular Friday night works nights out or Christmas Office party. We drink too much for our own good but we know how to have fun and we seldom take life too seriously.

Re. the guy in the fountain I'd think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was surely drunk and made a call that the remembrance day tributes were finished and didn't think he was being disrespectful. Does anyone actually think the guy made a deliberate and conscious decision to disrespect the poppy? Surely he was simply naïve and ill advised!

24 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

Overall I saw some of that but also plenty of fun and great ambassadors for Scotland in our cultural friendly, funny but drink too much compared to other countries persona. That's what Scots are like whether club or country football fans, rugby, regular Friday night works nights out or Christmas Office party. We drink too much for our own good but we know how to have fun and we seldom take life too seriously.

Re. the guy in the fountain I'd think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was surely drunk and made a call that the remembrance day tributes were finished and didn't think he was being disrespectful. Does anyone actually think the guy made a deliberate and conscious decision to disrespect the poppy? Surely he was simply naïve and ill advised!

You wouldn't go down to your local cenotaph today and walk over the top of the wreathes on the basis that the remembrance service was yesterday, would you?

I agree with you that it wasn't a deliberate or conscious decision but sometimes you have to think "how is this going to look?" and it doesn't look at all good.  I don't think drunkenness is an excuse. 

If it had been a fountain without any poppies in it, there wouldn't have been an issue and no-one would have taken a picture, let alone had it plastered over the front pages of a national paper.  Let's face it, it's not exactly as if he could miss them.

Given the lead up to the game, the poppy on shirts rage, advice given to make sure that armistice commerations were respected - which btw doesn't stop when the service does - anyone who didn't think that the press would be looking for the slightest excuse to do a hatchet job is naive in the extreme.  Therefore you have two options, one, avoid areas like Trafalgar Square or two, make sure you are on your best behaviour and don't give them the photos they need to make their story.

Its quite simple really.  If you don't want to be on the front page of the paper - and to have to deal with the consequences of that - then don't be a dick in a public place where there are loads of photographers and TV crews.   

Like the vast majority of the Tartan Army (myself included), too much drink was consumed and many judgement calls were made in error (drink does that to you). The punishment does not fit the crime.

Its ying and yang. The Tartan Army get pissed and mostly it's fun and funny. Some don't but most do. We think it adds to our "characters" and it does really but to many foreign cultures simply drinking to excess including in the morning for breakfast is not considered a positive thing even if the behaviour is ok. Far from it. Different cultures............we've all made bad judgement calls whilst under the influence. We've all had to cringe at the previous night's antics. Self ritchious garbage from superior than thou football fans is not a good stance. The guy(s) made a mistake whilst drunk. They're being punished and they've caused a bit of shame to the perfect (not) Tartan Army.

Give the guys a break. I'd be surprised if those condemning had never got too drunk and caused some embarrassment, offence, got into a fight, disrespected someone............the fact we have such a good reputation for fun and banter lends itself in many ways to over indulgence. Unfortunately many overstep the mark and the fun crosses that line towards offence, embarrassment, etc.

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone and basically get off their high horse!

Bar passing through not long after the 2 minute silence, we avoided Trafalgar Square the whole trip, but the whole time we were there I knew it was only a matter of time before images like that were set to appear in the media.

To be honest, the guy in the fountain does look a lot worse than it really is (there is plenty of photos which clearly show his mates chucking him in, yet press seem content on the one of him retrieving the ball), but the ones of the guys flashing is inexcusable (wearing a kilt does not elevate you above the law and common decency!).

Pretty sure after England fans at the Euros that the local press and media were going to be watching like hawks for instances like this.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Bar passing through not long after the 2 minute silence, we avoided Trafalgar Square the whole trip, but the whole time we were there I knew it was only a matter of time before images like that were set to appear in the media.

To be honest, the guy in the fountain does look a lot worse than it really is (there is plenty of photos which clearly show his mates chucking him in, yet press seem content on the one of him retrieving the ball), but the ones of the guys flashing is inexcusable (wearing a kilt does not elevate you above the law and common decency!).

Pretty sure after England fans at the Euros that the local press and media were going to be watching like hawks for instances like this.

I agree with all of that...............and I'd add that if this guy wasn't in the fountain they'd have used photos of steaming Scots lifting their kilts with the "disgrace" headline in practically any London street, pub, square where we congregated, etc. The fact it was done in Trafalgar on that day added the embarrassment up a notch or two.

Until every single one of us learn to keep the right side of the drunk/pissed line there will be opportunities for the press to do a sabotage job on us. It's been done before.

Its a binge drink culture discussion that needs to be had rather than something focusing on whether or not the Tartan Army are respectful to war dead. In every town and city in every corner of the UK it happens. Its also taken to Ibiza and Majorca in the summer. Scenes travelling home from every trip has probably the majority looking a mess, white as a sheet, tired, hungover, etc., etc. and there's no doubt I'm in that group even though I'd love to be more sensible.

To be clear I'm not making a case for getting pissed to be seen as funny, the opposite maybe. My point is we all need to give this guy a break as if we're all honest there's a lot of us getting blootered and whether we'll accept it or not its not totally seen positively in Paris, Brussels, Madrid, Milan, Prague or other places..............outside the UK really. I've been saying for years the press would turn on the TA as generally the extremely friendly and funny antics have another angle should the press choose to portray that side - a half "decent" journalist with a camera could have done a sabotage job in London by wandering SOHO, Covent Garden, Russell Square, Leicester Square.............not just Trafalgar. The TA have been wooing the locals for years and years and its not even newsworthy any more (maybe if we qualify for a big tournament it might) so all that's left is a negative stunt. Take a look at yourself and your travelling group and tell me there's never a negative angle is there was a dodgy tabloid journalist infiltrating your company.

5 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

Its a binge drink culture discussion that needs to be had rather than something focusing on whether or not the Tartan Army are respectful to war dead

Nah, i'm not having that. I had 3 days where i consumed a hell of a lot of drink. Not once did i expose myself in public, punt a football about a public place or in any way disrespect a remembrance memorial. 

It's not a drink issue, it's a folk being bawbags issue. It's really simple: 

1. Don't punt fitbaws about

2. Don't expose yourself in public

3. Don't go near memorials for anything other than respectful purposes. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nah, i'm not having that. I had 3 days where i consumed a hell of a lot of drink. Not once did i expose myself in public, punt a football about a public place or in any way disrespect a remembrance memorial. 

It's not a drink issue, it's a folk being bawbags issue. It's really simple: 

1. Don't punt fitbaws about

2. Don't expose yourself in public

3. Don't go near memorials for anything other than respectful purposes. 

You're wonderful. You've never done anything wrong when pissed. I salute you.

1 minute ago, Hampden View said:

You're wonderful. You've never done anything wrong when pissed. I salute you.

I've never disrespected war dead or committed a sex offence, that's for sure :ok: