Trafalgar Square - Page 3 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trafalgar Square

MarkNorquay

24 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

To be clear I'm not making a case for getting pissed to be seen as funny, the opposite maybe. My point is we all need to give this guy a break as if we're all honest there's a lot of us getting blootered and whether we'll accept it or not its not totally seen positively in Paris, Brussels, Madrid, Milan, Prague or other places..............outside the UK really. I've been saying for years the press would turn on the TA as generally the extremely friendly and funny antics have another angle should the press choose to portray that side - a half "decent" journalist with a camera could have done a sabotage job in London by wandering SOHO, Covent Garden, Russell Square, Leicester Square.............not just Trafalgar. The TA have been wooing the locals for years and years and its not even newsworthy any more (maybe if we qualify for a big tournament it might) so all that's left is a negative stunt. Take a look at yourself and your travelling group and tell me there's never a negative angle is there was a dodgy tabloid journalist infiltrating your company.

It was clear this was going to happen since the date of the fixture was announced.

Most folk accepted that it was just one of those things and was not the time or place for us to gather.... others felt that it was more a "challenge" put in our way and in some kind of way was England trying to get one over us by making us stay away from the square, to get in the way of tradition.

The SSC made it very clear to be on your best behavior or to not even bother going there, but stick a few 1000 football fans in a large group anywhere (regardless of the event or occasion) you will always get a couple of guys in that who spoil it for the rest.

The media are blowing it out of proportions, but do not think it reflects the vast majority of folk who were there.

Edited by wanderer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nah, i'm not having that. I had 3 days where i consumed a hell of a lot of drink. Not once did i expose myself in public, punt a football about a public place or in any way disrespect a remembrance memorial. 

It's not a drink issue, it's a folk being bawbags issue. It's really simple: 

1. Don't punt fitbaws about

2. Don't expose yourself in public

3. Don't go near memorials for anything other than respectful purposes. 

Good post. 

I posted this on another thread earlier: 

I was there. Thats my flag in the background. Funny how they don't show the bottom of it with the "Lest We Forget" attachment on it!  The Silence in the Square had been over for four hours by that stage. The Silence was a very sombre and fitting event. The hundreds of Scots in the crowd paying their respects. What a terrible article by the Sunday Mail. As a current serving Serviceman I didnt take any offence to any of it. I doubt any fallen would have either. 

Shame on you Sunday Mail/Daily Record. Poor, poor reporting. 

Edit to add: I never seen the tadgers getting their tadgers out, that's lewd and libidinous behaviour. Charge anybody who thinks thats funny needs their head examined. 

Edited by shaddypeekey
Forgot a bit!

i'd love to say we're the best but think i've had the wool pulled from my eyes.  the behaviour was alright, didn't see anything particularly bad but..

we hardly sing

the demographic is 99.9% male.. pure sausage fest man

it's a stag doo with kilts on. 

been railing against us being a bunch of incoherent drunks just pished all the time.. but it is what it is.. at least we had patter before.  

It might just have been the company i was with but i found the whole thing boring as f$ck. i won't be back.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

This, We must be the quietest away support in Europe.

Never really felt like their was much of an atmosphere after the game kicked off.

Admiitedly there wasn't much to shout about.

If I were to make excuses, the layout with the hospitality tier perhaps made it difficult for anything to spread, but given the atmosphere outside the stadium, it was pretty quiet inside.

47 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I've never disrespected war dead or committed a sex offence, that's for sure :ok: 

Me neither but have you ever sung anti-English songs, pissed in places you're not supposed to or been loud and drunk on public transport or restaurants with families and pensioners around (note they don't know we're friendly so can be worried) because your list of 3 is simply not a full list of behaviours that could get us a negative tabloid headline if a journalist and his Editor decide they're bored with the TA wooing the locals and being fun and friendly.

I'm not in any way condoning the Trafalgar Square fountain guy. No way. I'm also not suggesting the TA behaviour is bad. How could I with my friendliest fans in the world keyring and other positive newspaper cuttings. My point is be careful as there are dozens of types of behaviours outwith your 3 listed that could come back to haunt us if we're not careful.

32 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i'd love to say we're the best but think i've had the wool pulled from my eyes.  the behaviour was alright, didn't see anything particularly bad but..

we hardly sing

the demographic is 99.9% male.. pure sausage fest man

it's a stag doo with kilts on. 

been railing against us being a bunch of incoherent drunks just pished all the time.. but it is what it is.. at least we had patter before.  

It might just have been the company i was with but i found the whole thing boring as f$ck. i won't be back.

I think you're going to far and although all true its also true that we have won the awards for our friendliness and fun factor..............I could tell dozens of stories to that affect. But it is necessary to be aware that we need to be careful and maybe police ourselves a bit more than we have done in recent years.

4 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

Me neither but have you ever sung anti-English songs, pissed in places you're not supposed to or been loud and drunk on public transport or restaurants with families and pensioners around (note they don't know we're friendly so can be worried) because your list of 3 is simply not a full list of behaviours that could get us a negative tabloid headline if a journalist and his Editor decide they're bored with the TA wooing the locals and being fun and friendly.

I'm not in any way condoning the Trafalgar Square fountain guy. No way. I'm also not suggesting the TA behaviour is bad. How could I with my friendliest fans in the world keyring and other positive newspaper cuttings. My point is be careful as there are dozens of types of behaviours outwith your 3 listed that could come back to haunt us if we're not careful.

I never claimed it was a complete list. I didn't do any of the things you mention over the weekend though, so hope that clarifies it for you :ok: 

I just know how to behave when both sober and drunk. Maybe it's an upbringing or education thing, who knows. Dressing in a kilt, getting your cok out and singing you "feking hate the english" might be an idea of fun for some. To be it just makes them attention seeking, xenophobic sexual offenders. 

I'll leave that shite to the arseholes, while i stick to having a few pints and a laugh with my mates while  acting respectful to those around me.

44 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Flashing your bum, could just about be passed off as harmless, flashing your boaby in public is just not on.

The point is this was previously considered mad Scotsman banter but I fear even baring your arse in anything other than the traditional quick lift at wedding photo could be considered a sex offence, noting different countries have different acceptance levels.

The Sunday Mail has done a hatchet job because of a handful of ill advised behaviours...........lets not give them any scope for future headlines

I'm pretty happy with a hatchet job if it makes folk behave in future. 

Too many folk think "we're the Tartan Army, we're funny and everyone loves us, we can do what we want". 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I never claimed it was a complete list. I didn't do any of the things you mention over the weekend though, so hope that clarifies it for you :ok: 

I just know how to behave when both sober and drunk. Maybe it's an upbringing or education thing, who knows. Dressing in a kilt, getting your cok out and singing you "feking hate the english" might be an idea of fun for some. To be it just makes them attention seeking, xenophobic sexual offenders. 

I'll leave that shite to the arseholes, while i stick to having a few pints and a laugh with my mates while  acting respectful to those around me.

Course. Lets all hope the tabloid journalists hang about with you and your pals in all trips with you being perfect.

Actually its the likes of you we need to worry about with your complacency...............get off your high horse, you might just drop your halo one day and end up on the front page with a hatchet job.

Just now, Hampden View said:

Course. Lets all hope the tabloid journalists hang about with you and your pals in all trips with you being perfect.

Actually its the likes of you we need to worry about with your complacency...............get off your high horse, you might just drop your halo one day and end up on the front page with a hatchet job.

I'm not perfect. I just know how to behave. 

If thinking folk who expose themselves are complete bawbags is me being on "my high horse" then i'm well and truly on my high horse. :ok: 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm pretty happy with a hatchet job if it makes folk behave in future. 

Too many folk think "we're the Tartan Army, we're funny and everyone loves us, we can do what we want". 

While I would question the timing (I've seen, and if I'm honest, expected much worse than what we saw on Friday) I agree that perhaps it's a needed wake up call to some with the attitudes you mention.

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm not perfect. I just know how to behave. 

If thinking folk who expose themselves are complete bawbags is me being on "my high horse" then i'm well and truly on my high horse. :ok: 

Yes, you're on your high horse......................but you are perfect. At least I hope you are because that means your complacency about yours and your groups behaviour won't come back to bite us.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

While I would question the timing (I've seen, and if I'm honest, expected much worse than what we saw on Friday) I agree that perhaps it's a needed wake up call to some with the attitudes you mention.

The hatched job is a wake up call for sure but tough to take and hopefully we can all take a look at ourselves and those in our groups and with some honesty regroup and maybe tone some thiings down a bit. As I keep saying and I've said it for 10 years, the press are bored with the positive wooing of locals and tourists angle.

15 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

Yes, you're on your high horse......................but you are perfect. At least I hope you are because that means your complacency about yours and your groups behaviour won't come back to bite us.

He's already said he's not perfect. And if knowing how to behave in public and not committing sexual offences, fighting, being racist/xenophobic, pissing in full public view or disrespecting war dead constitutes being on some high horse then I am up on it with Parkie.

As for being complacent I don't think any of us are but when you know how to conduct yourself with decency I don't think complacency comes into it. You're either an arsehole or you're not.

Its really not difficult to grasp if you have the slightest modicum of intelligence.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

10 minutes ago, Hampden View said:

The hatched job is a wake up call for sure but tough to take and hopefully we can all take a look at ourselves and those in our groups and with some honesty regroup and maybe tone some thiings down a bit. As I keep saying and I've said it for 10 years, the press are bored with the positive wooing of locals and tourists angle.

I don't think anything that happened on Friday was worthy of the front page headline, so I don't totally disagree with you, but there are perhaps too many who dine out on the good reputation our fans have without themselves doing anything to actually deserve that reputation.

9 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

He's already said he's not perfect. And if knowing how to behave in public and not committing sexual offences, fighting, being racist/xenophobic, pissing in full public view or disrespecting war dead constitutes being on some high horse then I am up on it with Parkie.

As for being complacent I don't think any of us are but when you know how to conduct yourself with decency I don't think complacency comes into it. You're either an arsehole or you're not.

Its really not difficult to grasp if you have the slightest modicum of intelligence.

9 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Nope, there's definitely some complacency there...........and that's where the worry is.

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't think anything that happened on Friday was worthy of the front page headline, so I don't totally disagree with you, but there are perhaps too many who dine out on the good reputation our fans have without themselves doing anything to actually deserve that reputation.

Would we win the friendliest fans award like France '98 if we qualified for France '16 ? I'd think we'd have been in with a really good chance but I also think to be sure we need to all take a look at ourselves and those in our groups

2 hours ago, Newryrep said:

bit of light relief lads

That's pretty funny.  I'm just imagining what it would be like if Only an Excuse did something similar this Hogmanay.  You'd be able to hear the squeals of outrage all the way in Newry.