The group is bawbagged - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The group is bawbagged

bonny78

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

So do we all. You're aware you're calling Scotland fans "glory hunters", yes? :lol: 

In exactly the same way as thousands of club fans come out the woodwork for semi finals and cup finals. The same rules will apply for when we will play England in June. 

Where were you on a Tuesday night at Motherwell translates to international football for where were you at home to Lithuania? 

Answer = glory hunters.

My opinion. You needn't agree.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

In exactly the same way as thousands of club fans come out the woodwork for semi finals and cup finals. The same rules will apply for when we will play England in June. 

Where were you on a Tuesday night at Motherwell translates to international football for where were you at home to Lithuania? 

Answer = glory hunters.

My opinion. You needn't agree.

Was I there ata midweek friendly ve Hungary, or Denmark, or Sweden, or Czech Republic? Was I there at home draws to Serbia or Slovenia or defeats to Belarus or Wales? 

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.  

This isn't about us being shite, it's about us being shite and our manager and governing body taking to responsibility or accountability? Being expected to pay top dollar to fund these wh@nks in their cushy jobs and tacitly accept their condescending attitude towards us fans. 

"Glory hunters". What a load of pish. 

16 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

I don't recall referring to yourself as a glory hunter. I was making the point about supporters following their team through thick, thin and thinner.

And I couldn't agree more about the SFA being a self serving, incompetent, unfit for purpose body.

When's the thick happened?

If you can't see why fans would want to stay away from the stadiums and be extremly negative about every aspect of the SFA from the manager to the very top, then you're an idiot I am afraid.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

When's the thick happened?

If you can't see why fans would want to stay away from the stadiums and be extremly negative about every aspect of the SFA from the manager to the very top, then you're an idiot I am afraid.

How very mature with your personal insults. You must be too young to remember some of the good results and teams of the past 30 years or so. Maybe ask an older relative or carer. Or you can use Google and youtube.

As I've said before most  fans support their team.  Each to their own though as it's a personal choice.

On 02/02/2017 at 3:23 PM, Que Sera Sera said:

You'd rather we didn't qualify?

I'll be at the rest of the games - home and away mate. Have been supporting / attending for many many years to give up as easy as that even given the last series of manager flops from Bertie Vogts onwards. I would love Scotland to qualify and a reduction in faceless idiot trolls like you trolling round trying to take the rise out of people and start arguments.

Only seeing there today Norway hired Lars Lagerback. Didn't realize Scotland could've gotten him before in 2009.

He would been some shot in the arm if you got him for the rest of this campaign. Absolutely crazy that the SFA didn't go for him when he was available a few months back. Even our own incompetent FA brought in a big name like Trappatoni to their credit.

Edited by irish

1 hour ago, irish said:

Only seeing there today Norway hired Lars Lagerback. Didn't realize Scotland could've gotten him before in 2009.

He would been some shot in the arm if you got him for the rest of this campaign. Absolutely crazy that the SFA didn't go for him when he was available a few months back. Even our own incompetent FA brought in a big name like Trappatoni to their credit.

Doubt Lagerback would have been interested.  The Norway job is convenient for him but managing Scotland would have been too much of a hassle at this stage in his career and at his age.

1 hour ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Doubt Lagerback would have been interested.  The Norway job is convenient for him but managing Scotland would have been too much of a hassle at this stage in his career and at his age.

He was seemingly interested in 2009 as he was supposed to have applied for the job but I can see how Norway would be handier for him. Closer to home and all.

2 hours ago, irish said:

We should have. We really, really should have.

Unfortunately, the SFA is one of the most insular, lazy, conservative minded, stuck in the past and fücking stupid FA's in all Europe. They hate the idea of looking beyond Scotland for answers and solutions.

It also has a deeply embedded "jobs for the boys" culture that sees fools like Billy Stark and Archie Knox (in the past), Ricky Spragia and Alex Rae (at present) getting important jobs coaching (and ruining) our national Under 21, Under 19, Under 17 teams etc.

On 06/02/2017 at 11:20 PM, CraigieBrown said:

I'll be at the rest of the games - home and away mate. Have been supporting / attending for many many years to give up as easy as that even given the last series of manager flops from Bertie Vogts onwards. I would love Scotland to qualify and a reduction in faceless idiot trolls like you trolling round trying to take the rise out of people and start arguments.

I wasn't trolling pal. Fair enough, I've got more time for somebody who'll go to the rest of the games than someone who'll boycott them, a boycott which will be over should we somehow be in with a decent chance going into the last couple of games. Having said that, I just don't understand why you're going when you say that we've got absolutely no chance of qualifying. Personally I've been to plenty of meaningless games/friendlies, but I can't say I get overly excited about them. Call me disloyal, but I'm not even sure I'll bother with such games in the future. Lots of people on here rightly talk about accepting failure/celebrating failure/glorious failure with Scotland. To my mind, what you and many others are doing is worse than that: accepting defeat before we've even failed. P.S. I won't stoop to your level and call you an idiot, even though you are as faceless as I am :rolleyes:

On 09/02/2017 at 0:15 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

We should have. We really, really should have.

Unfortunately, the SFA is one of the most insular, lazy, conservative minded, stuck in the past and fücking stupid FA's in all Europe. They hate the idea of looking beyond Scotland for answers and solutions.

It also has a deeply embedded "jobs for the boys" culture that sees fools like Billy Stark and Archie Knox (in the past), Ricky Spragia and Alex Rae (at present) getting important jobs coaching (and ruining) our national Under 21, Under 19, Under 17 teams etc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lagerback hadn't achieved any heroics with Iceland at that time, Vogts had been an abject failure, leaving a mere 5 years before 2009 and Levein had had an outstanding record as Dundee United manager.

If and when Strachan leaves, I'd go with a Scot again. Vogts and Paul Le Guen are two prime examples of foreigners just not understanding Scottish fitba. I cannae think of too many success stories either. Maybe a few but I think that the national team is a harder job and comes with much more pressure, with the possible exceptions of managing either half of the OF.

Rainer Bonhof managed the U21s for a good few years and there was that Dutch guy as well, Mark Wotte.

Edited by Que Sera Sera

49 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lagerback hadn't achieved any heroics with Iceland at that time, Vogts had been an abject failure, leaving a mere 5 years before 2009 and Levein had had an outstanding record as Dundee United manager.

If and when Strachan leaves, I'd go with a Scot again. Vogts and Paul Le Guen are two prime examples of foreigners just not understanding Scottish fitba. I cannae think of too many success stories either. Maybe a few but I think that the national team is a harder job and comes with much more pressure, with the possible exceptions of managing either half of the OF.

Rainer Bonhof managed the U21s for a good few years and there was that Dutch guy as well, Mark Wotte.

Even if you take away his record with Iceland, Lagerback's record with Sweden and Nigeria was very good.

It may hurt some people to read this but Scotland are not a unique nation. We are not respected throughout the world anymore, hard as that may be for some people to accept. Nobody gives a flying feck either about "oor role in inventing the game" and rightly so, it was a bloody long time ago.

Our pathetic FA always has to think small and appoint "one of our ain" to the job. There is too much of this damaging insular thinking, it's been holding us back for ages. It's time for us to go out and meet the big bad world.

Fück the crippling, outdated traditions. A foreigner for me. And I'd be over the moon with an Englishman managing Scotland for a start. 

And what happened to LeGuen or indeed any other Old Firm manager is irrelevant. Another issue entirely.

The Republic of Ireland did alright with an Englishman and then an Italian in charge of them. And I very much doubt whether Jack Charlton and Giovanni Trapattoni "understood" the Irish national team's players, mentality, traditional tactics and history when they took charge of them.

In fact being "outsiders" probably helped them. The difference between Berti Vogts, Jack Charlton and Giovanni Trapattoni is that the latter two had confidence in themselves and worked out good systems to suit their players. Vogts in truth was never confident and had a scatterbrain approach to team selection and tactics. It's just about choosing the right man.

Because we got burned once before doesn't mean we should never again consider a foreign manager.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It may hurt some people to read this but Scotland are not a unique nation. We are not respected throughout the world anymore, hard as that may be for some people to accept. Nobody gives a flying feck either about "oor role in inventing the game" and rightly so, it was a bloody long time ago.

Our pathetic FA always has to think small and appoint "one of our ain" to the job. There is too much of this damaging insular thinking, it's been holding us back for ages. It's time for us to go out and meet the big bad world.

In fact being "outsiders" probably helped them. The difference between Berti Vogts, Jack Charlton and Giovanni Trapattoni is that the latter two had confidence in themselves and worked out good systems to suit their players. Vogts in truth was never confident and had a scatterbrain approach to team selection and tactics. It's just about choosing the right man.

cut some of that out.

paragraph 1. completely agree, same with "everyone wants us at the tournaments" nonsense

paragraph 2. can we actually attract a decent foreign manager? unlikely, how many managers have we had that have gone on to better jobs in football? who we going to pull out the wood work some old fooster wanting a last pay cheque?

paragraph 3. jack charlton was over 20 years ago and the irish have achieved more since trapattoni left and vogts all though he had nothing much to work with was clueless. kevin kyle dobbie frankenstein he was quoted as saying would be a dream player and who can forget, "i know all about the german team, but maybe they dont know about kevin harper?" who says the germans dont have humor !

mistakenly cut out the line about you wanting an english manager, possibly out of blind rage, remember the last english member of the management team? that dinosaur terry butcher who was recently talking about scottish players he didnt want to face his beloved england in june

Edited by LewisEDI

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Get nigel quashie as manager

aye and lets get your hero nigel farage in as his RIGHT hand man, no chance of him getting us to europe mind you, maybe he could bring back the home countries internationals though right enough! waaaaay

Edited by LewisEDI

7 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

aye and lets get your hero nigel farage in as his RIGHT hand man, no chance of him getting us to europe mind you, maybe he could bring back the home countries internationals though right enough! waaaaay

Leave the future prime minister out of it.

15 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

cut some of that out.

paragraph 1. completely agree, same with "everyone wants us at the tournaments" nonsense

paragraph 2. can we actually attract a decent foreign manager? unlikely, how many managers have we had that have gone on to better jobs in football? who we going to pull out the wood work some old fooster wanting a last pay cheque?

paragraph 3. jack charlton was over 20 years ago and the irish have achieved more since trapattoni left and vogts all though he had nothing much to work with was clueless. kevin kyle dobbie frankenstein he was quoted as saying would be a dream player and who can forget, "i know all about the german team, but maybe they dont know about kevin harper?" who says the germans dont have humor !

mistakenly cut out the line about you wanting an english manager, possibly out of blind rage, remember the last english member of the management team? that dinosaur terry butcher who was recently talking about scottish players he didnt want to face his beloved england in june

We can attract a decent foreign manager if we actually bother to look for one for a start. 

Charlton and Trapatonni were good for RoI, build half decent teams and got them qualifying. They weren't lumbered by outdated attitudes. Plus as I pointed out, they had confidence and worked out good systems for their players. Vogts was neither confident or smart enough to work out a system that would have helped get a wind away against the Faroe, Lithuania and Moldova.

Don't care about Butcher. We should be considering English managers in future. What's wrong with having an Englishman involved ? 

Why do we have to the special exemption to every other nation and always without fail appoint a mediocre native to be manager purely out of "tradition" ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We can attract a decent foreign manager if we actually bother to look for one for a start. 

Charlton and Trapatonni were good for RoI, build half decent teams and got them qualifying. They weren't lumbered by outdated attitudes. Plus as I pointed out, they had confidence and worked out good systems for their players. Vogts was neither confident or smart enough to work out a system that would have helped get a wind away against the Faroe, Lithuania and Moldova.

Don't care about Butcher. We should be considering English managers in future. What's wrong with having an Englishman involved ? 

Why do we have to the special exemption to every other nation and always without fail appoint a mediocre native to be manager purely out of "tradition" ?

Agreed.

Our last three Scottish appointments; Burley, Levein & Strachan are perfect examples of just how pish managers from our home nation can be with regards to bizarre selections, even more bizarre squad omissions and very poor relations with the fans and media. Oh and horrific results & performances too of course.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

there's everything wrong with having an englishman involved........... from tea-lady to centre-forward should be scottish as its about your nation, not about buying the best....... in my opinion.

ooooooooh it's a bertie, bertie, bertie, bertie na nana na nah.

1 minute ago, ger intae them said:

there's everything wrong with having an englishman involved........... from tea-lady to centre-forward should be scottish as its about your nation, not about buying the best....... in my opinion.

ooooooooh it's a bertie, bertie, bertie, bertie na nana na nah.

Enjoy mediocrity then. 

I'd have no problem at all with an English manager. 

sorry, but have to say away back to your 'EPL and money' rot that is sliding the whole of football into glossy boredom.

an english manager of the scottish football team would prove that the world truly has gone nuts and they might as well shut done the international game. (and with 200 team world cup finals it's heading there pretty soon!)

2 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

sorry, but have to say away back to your 'EPL and money' rot that is sliding the whole of football into glossy boredom.

an english manager of the scottish football team would prove that the world truly has gone nuts and they might as well shut done the international game. (and with 200 team world cup finals it's heading there pretty soon!)

I hate everything about the Premiership and what it entails but we have to live in the modern world.

Can't remain stuck in the past, trying the same old methods, with the same old people, and getting the same old results.

What did you think when a former England World Cup medal winner took charge of Ireland during an extremely sensitive period in Anglo-Irish relations ?

Also quite frankly your opposition to an English manager just comes across as outright Anglophobia..

Scotland is not some sort of sacred special case. The world doesn't give a feck about us either. Sorry, but it's the truth. We either adapt or die.

its not anglophobia, it's basic "never have your no.1 rivals" (sorry, i honestly don't want to start that never-ending debate about england as our no.1 rivals) in charge of your team...... it's quite simple, and probably very old fashioned. however, this does not mean having a closed mind to new methods and ideas being brought to bear in scotland (time will tell, and unique background but cathro could hopefully be a start?).

I do see scotland as some special case 'cos it's my "case", but I couldn't care less how that is seen elsewhere in the world ..... why is that important?