The group is bawbagged - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The group is bawbagged

bonny78

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

At lunchtime you have lunch, or if it's your main meal of the day, dinner.

At teatime you have tea, or if it's your main meal of the day, dinner.

Pure simple, man.

Whoah. Who says Dinner is the main meal of the day. 

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Dictionaries?

I suppose if you limit yourself to only english dictionaries although even then it does not apply on every day of the week as most would have their sunday roast at lunchtime / afternoon I would guess. The French, the germans the Slovaks (surprised you missed them) off the top of my head for example typically have lunch as the main meal and tend to have a smaller meal as dinner. I think most Mediterranean countries are similar. 

Yup, I was limiting myself to English dictionaries given that 'dinner' is an English word an' all. I know what you mean about the mid-day meal being the big 'un elsewhere, but they don't call it 'dinner' (or 'lunch'). Apparently (so I was reading a few days ago re: Jane Austen - nowt to do with this thread) up to the late 18th century there was no mid-day meal at all for most folk, even the toffs - a breakfast and large late-afternoon main meal, then a light supper later.

10 hours ago, duncan II said:

At lunchtime you have lunch, or if it's your main meal of the day, dinner.

At teatime you have tea, or if it's your main meal of the day, dinner.

Pure simple, man.

Lunch at lunchtime and dinner at dinner time, simple.

Well lads if Scotland were to pull off a great escape and finish second , what's the best possible results do you think are achievable? It's unlikely even in the best case scenario that Scotland would get second place on goal difference so it would have to be on points. I'd imagine 4 points minimum from Slovenia and England at home otherwise it's definitely curtains. I think the best results Scotland can get would be:

Slovenia (H) win 3 points                     

England (H) draw 1 point

Lithuania (A) win 3 points

Malta (H) win 3 points

Slovakia (H) win 3 points

Slovenia (A) draw 1 point

18 points  total. Anything less will almost certainly have Scotland as the worst 2nd placed team.

It's very possible and realistic that Slovenia could draw away to Slovakia, lose to England & Scotland and only beat Lithuania & Malta leaving them on 15 points with Scotland travelling there to hold out for a draw. It benefits Scotland that this is the last game imo. Slovenia end up on 16 points.

Slovakia will beat Malta twice, could lose away to England & Scotland, draw at home to Slovenia & draw in Lithuania leaving them on 14 points. Even if we allow for a win in either of the Slovenia & Lithuania games and a draw away to an already qualified England (more or less) it still leaves them on 17 points.

It's unlikely that Scotland will get these results whilst at the same time both Slovenia and Slovakia dropping points at the same time but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I think it's the best potential outcome at this stage for Scotland.

It's a huge task for Scotland to win in Lithuania and take maximum points at home to Slovenia and Slovakia but they're well capable of it if they can somehow plug the gaps in defense. Scotland certainly created enough chances in the England & Slovakia games that may have gone differently had they taken them.

I can understand the doom and gloom on here but it would be a huge boost going into the England home game in June if Scotland could somehow scrape a big win at home against Slovenia.

19 minutes ago, irish said:

Well lads if Scotland were to pull off a great escape and finish second , what's the best possible results do you think are achievable? It's unlikely even in the best case scenario that Scotland would get second place on goal difference so it would have to be on points. I'd imagine 4 points minimum from Slovenia and England at home otherwise it's definitely curtains. I think the best results Scotland can get would be:

England (H) draw 1 point

Malta (H) win 3 points

18 points  total. Anything less will almost certainly have Scotland as the worst 2nd placed team.

It's very possible and realistic that Slovenia could draw away to Slovakia, lose to England & Scotland and only beat Lithuania & Malta leaving them on 15 points with Scotland travelling there to hold out for a draw. It benefits Scotland that this is the last game imo. Slovenia end up on 16 points.

Slovakia will beat Malta twice, could lose away to England & Scotland, draw at home to Slovenia & draw in Lithuania leaving them on 14 points. Even if we allow for a win in either of the Slovenia & Lithuania games and a draw away to an already qualified England (more or less) it still leaves them on 17 points.

It's unlikely that Scotland will get these results whilst at the same time both Slovenia and Slovakia dropping points at the same time but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I think it's the best potential outcome at this stage for Scotland.

It's a huge task for Scotland to win in Lithuania and take maximum points at home to Slovenia and Slovakia but they're well capable of it if they can somehow plug the gaps in defense. Scotland certainly created enough chances in the England & Slovakia games that may have gone differently had they taken them.

I can understand the doom and gloom on here but it would be a huge boost going into the England home game in June if Scotland could somehow scrape a big win at home against Slovenia.

mate, find something better to do than worry about this, every one of us has given up the ghost a long time ago on this campaign, we wont muster more than 2 more wins out of this group and even that is a big ask, and 1 of them will be against malta. 

6 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

mate, find something better to do than worry about this, every one of us has given up the ghost a long time ago on this campaign, we wont muster more than 2 more wins out of this group and even that is a big ask, and 1 of them will be against malta. 

"Well that's a very defeatist attitude Dougal"

Not worried about it but interested to see how Scotland and Northern Ireland get on in their groups. So I'll continue to speculate if that's alright with you 'mate' :ok:

Those potential Scotland results are hardly unrealistic. Personally I don't think Scotland will beat Slovenia but a win against them could at least revive Scotland's campaign to an extent going into the England game.

On 07/12/2016 at 1:44 PM, LewisEDI said:

Every one of us ? Hardly !!!!

On 07/12/2016 at 1:22 PM, irish said:

England (H) draw 1 point

Malta (H) win 3 points

These results are achievable. Well with Martin O'Neill anyway. He knows how to dig out results. If we beat Slovenia I believe we are well back in it. We are all ready up against it in the most important game of the campaign as the so called greatest fans in the world are planning to boycott the game.

Edited by Doric

On 07/12/2016 at 1:22 PM, irish said:

England (H) draw 1 point

Malta (H) win 3 points

Stop dreaming. We ll get 10 points max

On 12/9/2016 at 5:24 PM, bonny78 said:

Stop dreaming. We ll get 10 points max

He's not dreaming, just suggesting a possible scenario.  Or are we not even allowed to do that on here anymore, lest it be deemed as some form of positive thinking.  :spin:

Whats the point in the what ifs ? After we drew with lithuania it was if we get something in Bratislava . Then after defeat in Slovakia if we win at Wembley we 're right back in it . One game at a time for me but nothing will change and for me can only see 2 more wins , England and Malta at home . Might get a couple of draws in there as well but 3rd place finish for me

10 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Whats the point in the what ifs ? After we drew with lithuania it was if we get something in Bratislava . Then after defeat in Slovakia if we win at Wembley we 're right back in it . One game at a time for me but nothing will change and for me can only see 2 more wins , England and Malta at home . Might get a couple of draws in there as well but 3rd place finish for me

you're right

we might get a couple of draws v england and malta at home

Just now, noctonjock said:

Not sure that equates to a third place finish.