The Scottish Sunday Mail - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Scottish Sunday Mail

bigfathagiz

8 minutes ago, Bingo Foot Soldier said:

Dreadful journalism from a dreadful dying paper.

Guys have had too much to drink and act daft, where in the world would you get on the front page. That's right in the piece of trash called the Record or Mail. These guys deserve a slagging and firm talking to by their mates. Not nationally ridiculed with massive lifetime issues ( job loss etc )

Honestly makes me sick. These guys meant no disrespect to the fallen soldiers. Quicker that paper goes under the better,

Thing is though, this is exactly what tabloid newspapers do.   Personally I wasn't anywhere near Trafalgar Square so I can't comment on what did and didn't happen.  I've no doubt that 99.9% of people behaved perfectly appropriately but it only takes a few idiots to make a story and these jokers gave them plenty of ammunition.

This is exactly why in the lead up to the game the message was "don't go to Trafalgar Square and if you do go, behave yourself".

People can't say the weren't warned, what did they think was going to happen? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree mate total stupidity from these guys, and they will be paying a heavy humiliating cost for what they have done. Police / SFA security should be down there and names taken and given official censures re watching Scotland. But these guys could face all types of issues because that rag decide there is nothing news worthy. Their front page should have been a tribute to the fallen not this tabloid crap. Guys bearing their backsides is beyond me however I bet the camera man was goading the picture out them !

Just now, Bingo Foot Soldier said:

Totally agree mate total stupidity from these guys, and they will be paying a heavy humiliating cost for what they have done. Police / SFA security should be down there and names taken and given official censures re watching Scotland. But these guys could face all types of issues because that rag decide there is nothing news worthy. Their front page should have been a tribute to the fallen not this tabloid crap. Guys bearing their backsides is beyond me however I bet the camera man was goading the picture out them !

I've no doubt the photographers were encouraging them but that doesn't mean you have to flash your boaby.   Outrage and bad news sells papers and these idiots have given them the front page they were looking for.

The guy that went in the fountain to get a ball, is that really worthy of front page news and being branded a disgrace?

It didn't effect the poppies at all. 

The behaviour was no different than in 2013 where it wasn't deemed a problem.

Actually there were lots of people in the fountain then so the fans were better behaved.

Edited by iainmac1

1 hour ago, KennyMiller said:

Lot of shite.

Respect was paid then everyone had a laugh.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Anyone know who the "Tartan Army chiefs" are how you become one?

1 hour ago, deecie said:

How long is your feather?

18 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

The guy that went in the fountain to get a ball, is that really worthy of front page news and being branded a disgrace?

It didn't effect the poppies at all. 

The behaviour was no different than in 2013 where it wasn't deemed a problem.

Actually there were lots of people in the fountain then so the fans were better behaved.

This and this and this and this.

Praised by police, Praised by veterans,praised by myself(thought both sets of fans were good but I only attended the match ie kings cross/Wembley park/st pancras all night........not a bit of bother did I see, but gr8 banter.)

But if the tabloids report it, then it must have been Shockingly horrendously hideously appallingly bad............

Like we don't have enough problems.

It's pretty clear from the article that the 'journalist' is attempting to create a story out of very little. Should guys have flashed? Should they have jumped in the fountain? Should they have lit a couple of flares? The answer will vary depending on who you ask. Desperate-to-be-offended middle Englanders and Daily Mail journalists will no doubt condemn it as an absolute disgrace on a day that should be set aside for respect of those who died and served. As someone who was there (and was there simply to take in the atmosphere - I wasn't drinking as I had my son with me) these were all minor things. Is showing you baws clever - no. Is it offensive - well offence is in the eye of the beholder, so yes, to some it is. Is it something that justifies being splashed all over the front page of a national newspaper and vilified. No, not even close.

But here's the thing. Many Scots attended the service and the silence was impeccably observed (I was there). But by the time Trafalgar Square started to get crowded the remembrance event was over. By a good two or three hours. Indeed, they had dismantled the stage by the time people started singing. And many of those Scots who were in the Square were ex-soldiers - the ones most attuned to what respect is required. An ex-soldier over on Facebook, who was there, put it best when he said that he spoke to a number of ex-soldiers and their response was along the lines of 'the fallen would be happy for us to have a drink'.

For me the negative story comes about because of a combination of two things - the politicisation of the whole remembrance day/poppy which has happened in the last 15 years (no poppy on strips in 1999), and a growing dislike of us uppity Scots in the establishment media (which has grown since we were 'given' our own parliament in 1999).

You can bet if the team hadn't lost the game 3-0, or if we were in a better position in the group, the Sunday Mail wouldn't have run with this story.  Not as front page news anyway.  But in keeping with most of the tabloid press, they like to kick people when they're down.

My reading of it is that a relatively small number of fans did what some Scots have a tendency to do when alcohol is involved - drink too much of it and behave objectionably in a thoughtless rather than a nasty or malevolent way.  It happens all the time up here (and down south too, to be fair) at football matches, on nights out, at gigs and music festivals.  It isn't something that is is unique to followers of the Scotland football team, that's for sure.

It's not great, it's not something to be applauded, but so long as no one got hurt it really isn't too much to get upset about.  Typical lazy journalism from the holy Wulllies at the Sunday Mail/Record.

The fans of the Scottish National Football team, despite the SFA being a unionist cabal, are seen as being massively pro Independence.

This is why a large, and increasing number due to peer pressure, of Rangers fans hate the "Tartan Army" and wont have anything to do with Scotland

It's not surprising therefore that the unionist media will have an agenda of blackening the TA - many of their readers will enjoy that kind of thing 

58 minutes ago, Stapes said:

It's pretty clear from the article that the 'journalist' is attempting to create a story out of very little. Should guys have flashed? Should they have jumped in the fountain? Should they have lit a couple of flares? The answer will vary depending on who you ask. Desperate-to-be-offended middle Englanders and Daily Mail journalists will no doubt condemn it as an absolute disgrace on a day that should be set aside for respect of those who died and served. As someone who was there (and was there simply to take in the atmosphere - I wasn't drinking as I had my son with me) these were all minor things. Is showing you baws clever - no. Is it offensive - well offence is in the eye of the beholder, so yes, to some it is. Is it something that justifies being splashed all over the front page of a national newspaper and vilified. No, not even close.

But here's the thing. Many Scots attended the service and the silence was impeccably observed (I was there). But by the time Trafalgar Square started to get crowded the remembrance event was over. By a good two or three hours. Indeed, they had dismantled the stage by the time people started singing. And many of those Scots who were in the Square were ex-soldiers - the ones most attuned to what respect is required. An ex-soldier over on Facebook, who was there, put it best when he said that he spoke to a number of ex-soldiers and their response was along the lines of 'the fallen would be happy for us to have a drink'.

For me the negative story comes about because of a combination of two things - the politicisation of the whole remembrance day/poppy which has happened in the last 15 years (no poppy on strips in 1999), and a growing dislike of us uppity Scots in the establishment media (which has grown since we were 'given' our own parliament in 1999).

Belter of a post. Well put sir

I was there. Thats my flag in the background. Funny how they don't show the bottom of it with the "Lest We Forget" attachment on it!  The Silence in the Square had been over for four hours by that stage. The Silence was a very sombre and fitting event. The hundreds of Scots in the crowd paying their respects. What a terrible article by the Sunday Mail. As a current serving Serviceman I didnt take any offence to any of it. I doubt any fallen would have either. 

Shame on you Sunday Mail/Daily Record. Poor, poor reporting. 

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The fans of the Scottish National Football team, despite the SFA being a unionist cabal, are seen as being massively pro Independence.

This is why a large, and increasing number due to peer pressure, of Rangers fans hate the "Tartan Army" and wont have anything to do with Scotland

It's not surprising therefore that the unionist media will have an agenda of blackening the TA - many of their readers will enjoy that kind of thing 

:lol: