Backroom Staff - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Backroom Staff

Rab The Crab

Since Friday night I, like most if not all of us have been thinking about potential replacements for Strachan should he walk/be sacked.

Which led me to think part of the reason for his failure could be down to his lack of a settled backroom staff.

On taking the job he brought in McGhee and McCall who if I recall correctly were both out of work so at the time I was ok with that.

However, McGhee got the Well job and would he really be totally focussed after that in his responsibilities with us?

The less said about the involvement of Andy Watson the better, Pressley also had some involvement but in my opinion the lack of a settled backroom staff did us no favours.

It suggests to me that it's an aspect that Strachan didn't take seriously and devalues the whole setup a bit.

I know there are managers out there that class an international job as a part time gig but surely due to the mess we find ourselves in it demands more than that?

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Pressley and McGhee should be nowhere near the setup. One is full of himself and thinks Strachan is doing a good job whilst he other is a dour shite bag.

Trying to work out which is which from your statement there!

McGhee is a complete half wit, stubborn and completely oblivious to the obvious failings of Strachan and the current set up.

The sooner a new manager with new ideas, including a new and hopefully younger backroom staff more in line with modern football thinking is brought in, the better.

Strachan is based in England. Andy Watson is based in England. McGhee manages Motherwell. Who is there to scout games in Scotland? McGhee will not look at anyone connected with Aberdeen.

Watson and McGhee are both part time with Scotland and full time jobs so who is Scouting players anywhere?

This is why Strachan sticks with who he has and who he see's on the television.

3 hours ago, davetenerife said:

Strachan is based in England. Andy Watson is based in England. McGhee manages Motherwell. Who is there to scout games in Scotland? McGhee will not look at anyone connected with Aberdeen.

Watson and McGhee are both part time with Scotland and full time jobs so who is Scouting players anywhere?

The only one seems to be Steven Presssley. I've been saying that for the last few weeks. You never see Strachan at games, you always see shots of Southgate, Martin O'Neill and Coleman sitting in the crowd.

After Slovakia, it was David Pleat who said the same thing about Strachan. He never see's him at games, he's always on the telly.

Clearly one of the many issued there.

4 hours ago, davetenerife said:

I think mark mcghee lives in Brighton too.

:lol:

15 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Funnily enough that's the two names I've been thinking about since Friday night.

Although McAllister is a technically astute footballer and former top player for us, I would worry he would be cut from the same cloth as Strachan and a little out of touch.

Probably rather see a younger coach who would be more likely to try new players, systems and want to play as many matches as possible/be involved as much in a full time role would be much better for Scotland I feel. 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Although McAllister is a technically astute footballer and former top player for us, I would worry he would be cut from the same cloth as Strachan and a little out of touch.

Probably rather see a younger coach who would be more likely to try new players, systems and want to play as many matches as possible/be involved as much in a full time role would be much better for Scotland I feel. 

There's always that risk I guess, he's someone I've always had respect for.

I'd love to see Cathro involved to some degree, comes across very well any time I've heard him interviewed and is very highly respected as a coach. The kind of guy who'd want to rejig the whole setup if given the opportunity.

Depends if we still have Regan in place though as something tells me he'll favour an easy option.

12 hours ago, bossman4 said:

The only one seems to be Steven Presssley. I've been saying that for the last few weeks. You never see Strachan at games, you always see shots of Southgate, Martin O'Neill and Coleman sitting in the crowd.

After Slovakia, it was David Pleat who said the same thing about Strachan. He never see's him at games, he's always on the telly.

Clearly one of the many issued there.

Funnily enough Souness was knocked back for the job last time round as he wasn't willing to move back to Scotland.

If turning round our fortunes wasn't a full time job before it most certainly is now.

2 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

There's always that risk I guess, he's someone I've always had respect for.

I'd love to see Cathro involved to some degree, comes across very well any time I've heard him interviewed and is very highly respected as a coach. The kind of guy who'd want to rejig the whole setup if given the opportunity.

Depends if we still have Regan in place though as something tells me he'll favour an easy option.

There's no doubt if Strachan is canned, which I think he will be as he won't walk, the SFA will appoint an interim coach till the end of the campaign - One from the old boys club on a part time basis,  Stuart McCall, Mark McGhee (cringe) etc etc 

26 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

There's no doubt if Strachan is canned, which I think he will be as he won't walk, the SFA will appoint an interim coach till the end of the campaign - One from the old boys club on a part time basis,  Stuart McCall, Mark McGhee (cringe) etc etc 

I think I'd cancel my broadband and TV subscription until the end of the campaign if that was the case. I genuinely couldn't cope with part of the current staff taking over. For what it's worth I still think Strachan will walk when he returns from Portugal on Friday.