"Bonnie Scotland we'll support you ever more" element of fans has to go - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"Bonnie Scotland we'll support you ever more" element of fans has to go

clarky1606

17 minutes ago, teecee- said:

No this is some regular travellers who party no matter what the result is. Ok if we had been unlucky or good but we were toothless and inept.

We've regular supporters who will go out drinking after the games anyway have the craic but at the same time, are gutted when the team loses. I wouldn't expect people to be solemn and not enjoy themselves on trips but the ones that are dancing in bins and fountains are the over-the-top dressed up wankstains who didn't want to know about the Ireland team during our wilderness Kerr/Stan years. The same event junkie type that hopped onto the Irish rugby bandwagon glory years.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Folk keep saying it's the big game that attract these folk, i disagree. I think some of the worst offenders are the self titled elite. 

Quite a claim from someone who consistently implies that he's a better football fan than others.

13 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

It goes without saying that all Scotland games matter to us all.

However, surely at some point you actually want to follow a winning team and witness some success?

If it's just a carry on and a few pints and laughs you're after, you can do that any weekend.

Aye, I'd like to see them win.  But I think the SFA would like to see that too.

I've no idea what good a boycott would do or what purpose it would serve.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

So would we all, I do think the SFA would like a win but only after making sure the bank accounts full.

I will be attending this and every other game as long as I am able, I genuinely believe this misery will end and I intend to be there when it happens.

As for the boycott if people chose that's what's needed and believe some good will come of it then good on them. I'd be more inclined to join in with a visual protest during the game in front of their precious TV cameras than I would be to leave a seat empty, there will be enough of them already.

22 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

"appointed" by the press to that lofty elevated position that you clearly are in awe of.
so far as I'm aware Hamish Husband always states that he's representing WESTA and he was appointed their spokesman democratically by their members.
blame the lazy MSM for referring to him as the TA spokesman.

I agree with Squirrel - he doesn't half spout some amount of pish, never heard anyone agree with anything he says.

Ach I don't think vilifying a certain type of Scotland fan is really going to help us out here. And I doubt the clapping at the end of the campaign was really that decisive for the SFA. People still buying tickets at daft prices and in large numbers would have been far more decisive for them than a round of applause at the end of a campaign IMHO. So anyone attending is a much to blame as anyone else in that regard. There seems to be more and more of this on this forum over the years with fans looking down their noses at each other for different reasons. Scotland fans do need to develop a more ruthless edge when it comes to the failings of the SFA but I don't see how slagging each other off will advance that aim. Also I'd be cautious about getting sucked into slagging people for fancy dress etc. This is reminiscent of all that Tranny Army stuff you get from folk with real chips on their shoulders about the TA.

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

If the fans did properly start boycotting games then it would force change without any doubt. The continued appearance of the fans regardless of how sh*t we are doing allows the sfa to carry on regardless.

53 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

If the fans did properly start boycotting games then it would force change without any doubt. The continued appearance of the fans regardless of how sh*t we are doing allows the sfa to carry on regardless.

Correct. Our best chance of forcing change is to stay away and hit them where it hurts - in the pocket.

Plus the camera's showing an empty stadium any time we play will reflect badly on the SFA also.

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Complete pish. 

I don't even consider "what the majority of people on the board would agree with". If you think i give a shite about what 95% of the folk on here think then you're mistaken. 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Complete pish. 

I don't even consider "what the majority of people on the board would agree with". If you think i give a shite about what 95% of the folk on here think then you're mistaken

Interesting to see you haven't actually raised a counter point to Alan's post, merely attempted to play the man... Merely highlights that he's touched a nerve with you and you don't have a decent counter argument. :lol:  

Interesting to see you haven't actually raised a counter point to Alan's post, merely attempted to play the man... Merely highlights that he's touched a nerve with you and you don't have a decent counter argument. :lol:  

Quite a statement for someone on over 6500 posts. 

Haven't read the whole thread, but to get the word out on a boycott, we should crowd fund adverts for the newspapers and/or digital media where you can focus directly on people's interests. 

I'm happy to set it up and donate. 

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Still waiting......

Okay then, lets look at this post.

23 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's almost exactly the same as my crowd that i've traveled with for almost 15 years. 

If we lose i try my hardest to get away from a pub full of Scotland fans, some of these folk sing non stop in pubs and couldn't tell you what support was whilst in the stadium.

I find myself trying to avoid large gathering of Scotland fans on trips, much rather mingle with the locals. Now of the view what's the point? Team are p1sh, support full of roasters more interested in dressing up/flashing/delete where applicable. 

Folk keep saying it's the big game that attract these folk, i disagree. I think some of the worst offenders are the self titled elite. 

At least when you to club football you are sitting/standing with guys who have a clue about football. More and more you find yourslef surrounded by folk at Scotland games that don't even seem interested about the main reason they are  meant to be there for.

You start off by saying you've been going for 15 years, what other reason is there to state that than to assert that you think you are better than other fans.

You then follow on saying that you avoid other Scotland fans because they are roasters who don't know anything about football.  The implication being you think you're better than other fans.

Basically you are saying that you and your mates are "proper" football fans and that anyone who doesn't fit you're view of what a "proper" football fan is, somehow less than you.

You constantly sneer at people who wear kilts and make a big deal about somehow wearing jeans makes you more of a real fan, I really don't get that.  Wearing a kilt doesn't make you a "big fan" - whatever that is - and neither does wearing jeans and sambas.

Are there people who are only there for the party?  Absolutely and I've no time for them either, however they are as much likely to be wearing a pair of jeans and a Scotland top as a kilt and a Glengarry.   They are also as much likely to go to club football as not.  I've met many, many people who go to club football who are completely clueless about the game.

The clincher though is your line about "self titled elite".  I've never ever met anyone who has described themselves as that, except as a joke, and that's usually aimed at people - like you - who seem to believe that people think like that.

Personally speaking, I haven't worn a kilt for years for no other reason than it's too much of a hassle, I go to club football regularly, I have season tickets for two clubs.  I was the first one back on our bus after the game in Faro primarily as I was full of the flu but also as I'm never one to hang around in stadiums after a match, win lose or draw, I don't see the point.  If you catch me on TV sitting on the steps looking glum after a defeat you have my permission to shoot me.  When I got back from Bratislava I went straight back to the hotel as I was so pissed off.  I'm no happy clapper.

I could give you plenty of other examples but your constant sneering at other Scotland fans can only lead me to imply that you think you're better than they are.

even after all this debate the same point applies.

Happy clappers are rife in our support. So much so they try and tell other fans not to voice their honest opinions about the woeful management and displays of the team on the park.

The last guy who told me to stop voicing my opinion was promptly told to shut up. I pay my money like everyone else and if we are not performing i am not going to stand there and sing we'll support you ever more. I will support them ever more, its not like fans are going to ditch their nation for another (well, we know that type anyway), but equally we are entitled to let the SFA, management, players etc aware we are not happy.

The longer failure is readily accepted the more of a problem it becomes. Now, since its 18 years i think we have more than the right to voice criticism.

On 17/11/2016 at 8:12 AM, Alan said:

The fans have got the team they deserve.

The Tartan Army has became a drinking club. People aged +40. Disposable income. Chance to dress up and act daft. The self congratulations and insular patting on the back peaked after Gibralter with 10k+ holiday makers cheering failure and wallowing in decades of lowered standards.

Look at the threads on here. Football in minority with the rest talking about pubs, "who did you meet?" and pre and post match "perty".

I'm amazed how many people on here do not attend club games, do not support Scottish football minus their Scotland "stag do" trips, some only go to away games instead of Hampden. Even when ATAC meet with the SFA it was about quality of pies and stewards shepherding drunks to their seats instead of indoor facilities, youths, culture of the game.

When you look around and realise everyone is dressed the same, singing the same songs for 2 decades and many with limited knowledge of the players who watch all their football via Super Sunday on Sky Sports you know it needs refreshed. Sack the SFA? Sack the Tartan Army.

I had this same conversation on the bus home from Wembley. The average age on the bus was post 40. And stop calling ourselves the Tartan Army. It's a pishy name. 

12 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

even after all this debate the same point applies.

Happy clappers are rife in our support. So much so they try and tell other fans not to voice their honest opinions about the woeful management and displays of the team on the park.

The last guy who told me to stop voicing my opinion was promptly told to shut up. I pay my money like everyone else and if we are not performing i am not going to stand there and sing we'll support you ever more. I will support them ever more, its not like fans are going to ditch their nation for another (well, we know that type anyway), but equally we are entitled to let the SFA, management, players etc aware we are not happy.

The longer failure is readily accepted the more of a problem it becomes. Now, since its 18 years i think we have more than the right to voice criticism.

Plenty people around me clapped the team off the park v Lithuania a couple of months ago. I was in shock.