Imagine we had a great manager - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Imagine we had a great manager

Tartacus

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

James Morrison looks good at club level, but he has close to 50 caps, and saying I could count his good performances on one hand would be generous. Whether we aren't using him properly or what, I'm not sure.

Otherwise his team selection wasn't the biggest problem.

I like Morrison a lot but I don't think we've been using him in his best position, which is really as an attacking midfielder. For the bulk of his caps he's played as holding midfielder usually to accommodate other players, playing further forward.  It's not an exact comparison but it's analogous to the way England used to stick Scholes out on the left so as they could accommodate Lampard and Gerrard in the centre.  He could do a job there but he wouldn't be anywhere as effective there than his natural position.

i suspect his best days are probably behind him, he's had a few injuries and struggles to get a game for West Brom.  I'm not sure he's a Pulis player, probably needs to get a move. 

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Alex Ferguson will be in a nursing home by Qatar 2020, he's 75 in a few weeks!

But we're only 4 points off 2nd spot on the road to Russia. We need him and the famous hampden roar! 

10 hours ago, clarky1606 said:

Totally agree! It was still a great away trip that brought laughter, beer, sunshine and a Scotland win. You have to savour those moments whether they were meaningful or not :lol:

wish could agree

but remember qualify for tournaments and actually going to finals for the full three weeks

beating any team in a dead rubber means fack all to me

sadly it's the best the younger fans are ever likely to experience

13 hours ago, Bino's said:

wish could agree

but remember qualify for tournaments and actually going to finals for the full three weeks

Your showing your age mate :ok::lol: jealous of your memories though!!!!

17 hours ago, Bino's said:

wish could agree

I can remember what you remember mate, but in my opinion it sounds utterly ridiculous to say you can't enjoy Scotland winning a friendly match.

Each to their own though.

3 hours ago, Marky said:

I can remember what you remember mate, but in my opinion it sounds utterly ridiculous to say you can't enjoy Scotland winning a friendly match.

Each to their own though.

the Croatia game he was talking about

watched it, when we won went, yes well done lads, that was it

was far more excited after we beat Malta for instance as it meant something

Alex Ferguson is a pipe dream. We may as well wheel John Lambie, Bertie Auld or Alex feckin Totten out of retirement.

We should be aiming for a young manager or a joint appointment/committee with guys who are respected and are down with the players of today and proper coaching techniques & tactics. 

There is no quick fix. 

As for Chic Young touting Jim Duffy. Chic, please fkkking retire ya unintelligible half wit. 

ETA: Get Darren Fletcher and James McFadden part of the set up. They have the passion that not many of the current players show right now. Only downside of that is they've also never been to a tournament. Passion is passion though. 

Edited by OLAS

45 minutes ago, Bino's said:

the Croatia game he was talking about

watched it, when we won went, yes well done lads, that was it

was far more excited after we beat Malta for instance as it meant something

You said "beating any team in a dead rubber means fack all to me".

Agree though that obviously the Malta result was more important.

1 minute ago, scoobydoo said:

If we had a great manager he would realise that for international games he has to pick the best players available, who are in form and playing regularly.

In the limited time he then has, he has mould them into a team that can get some sort of result.

Agree with that........... and that has been a failing recently.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:23 PM, sandyb said:

If we had a great manager we would not be far off where we are now - Wakey Wakey.

at best 3 points or realistically 2 points off where we are now. 1 win

That would be a lot better than what we have now.

The most blinkered of fans will get their wake up call in the Slovenia match.

On 11/18/2016 at 4:51 PM, OLAS said:

ETA: Get Darren Fletcher and James McFadden part of the set up. They have the passion that not many of the current players show right now. Only downside of that is they've also never been to a tournament. Passion is passion though. 

Disagree. A viewing of the England game suggests passion isnt the problem but rather tactics and how the team sets up. Aye, the players were more up for it but I think that was more because, for once, Strachan, set them up to take the game to England. In other games, the passion reflects the team setup - defensive, passive, unambitious. 

The only time Fletcher and McFadden should be anywhere near the backroom staff, is after they're earned their coaching badges and have a proven track record. It's not enough to be passionate about winning, we need to have the smarts when it comes to management and coaching. Something we've been lacking for some time.