Imagine we had a great manager - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Imagine we had a great manager

Tartacus

Who would the new manager have played up front v England?  Strachan picked Griffiths (who many were demanding) and Griffiths wasted a golden chance to play Snodgrass in. He ran about a lot and belted a free kick over near the end and had a shot blocked (or hit it straight at a defender depending on your view). The best thing he did was to leave the ball alone to allow it to run to Forrest (who did the hard bit and then scuffed a shot wide).  If Burke had played and done nothing (like the Lithuania game) people would have said Strachan was stupid throwing a young lad in who cannot get a regular game at club level. So what exactly would a 'great' manager do differently? Could he make the team better when he only gets time with them periodically? Would the players have greater belief with a different manager? Would a new manager just defend and make Scotland hard to beat (that went well with Levein). I think Strachan, like all managers, has to take the flak as you can change the manager but not really change the players. Or perhaps a new guy will bring in Charlie Adam and Scotland will go on a 25 match winning run?  If you watch the England match again many of Strachan choices were pretty good. Anya dealt well with fast England players down that side. Wallace did well. Our midfield did match England's most of the time. Scotland payed well but a lack of top quality in our box and in their box was the difference. Ultimately it is about putting the ball in the net. How will a new guy improve that? The best I can see is we will be 'harder to break down'. Cue folk moaning about negative football and 0-0 draws. ? 

Was thinking exactly this earlier this morning. What would Mourinho, Guardiola. Klopp, Pellegrini, Simeone, etc actually be able to do different with this crop? They're used to working with players at the very top.

Although none of these would be interested in the job anyway, even if they were we'd be crazy to even think along these lines.

1 minute ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Was thinking exactly this earlier this morning. What would Mourinho, Guardiola. Klopp, Pellegrini, Simeone, etc actually be able to do different with this crop? They're used to working with players at the very top.

Although none of these would be interested in the job anyway, even if they were we'd be crazy to even think along these lines.

They know how to coach a team in shape. They know how to give detailed instructions to players on where they should and shouldn't be in match situations. They get players to work even harder for them than others would. 

Honestly, folk that come out with "what would another manager do?" should just shut the feck up and stop making themselves look like prize morons. 

17 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Only Simeone would do any good . The rest have had to spend  millions to get success . 

53 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They know how to coach a team in shape. They know how to give detailed instructions to players on where they should and shouldn't be in match situations. They get players to work even harder for them than others would. 

Honestly, folk that come out with "what would another manager do?" should just shut the feck up and stop making themselves look like prize morons. 

Seriously? I'm a moron? For thinking Mourinho and his mates would all struggle to turn our defence into one which is international standard? For thinking turning Grant Hanley into a vented half might be beyond them?

OK then.

Just now, DaveyDenoon said:

Seriously? I'm a moron?

I don't know you, so i don't know. 

Your comment implies that no manager would make a difference. If you don't think managers can make a massive difference, then yes, when it comes to football, i'd say you are a moron. 

James Forrest had one of his better games in a Scotland shirt, and I forgot he was playing for a large chunk of the game. He's been anonymous every time I've seen him for Scotland.

We aren't blessed with great centre halves, but I'd have McManus back in the squad before I'd play Hanley!

James Morrison looks good at club level, but he has close to 50 caps, and saying I could count his good performances on one hand would be generous. Whether we aren't using him properly or what, I'm not sure.

Otherwise his team selection wasn't the biggest problem.

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't know you, so i don't know. 

Your comment implies that no manager would make a difference. If you don't think managers can make a massive difference, then yes, when it comes to football, i'd say you are a moron. 

That's not what I'm suggesting at all. Of course different managers will make a difference.

I am saying the top top managers would be no use for Scotland even if they were interested as they're in no better position to get more out of the kind of player we have than Strachan is. They don't work with players of the ability levels we have. None of them will turn our defence into anything remotely international standard.

Stop misquoting me, thanks. And whilst you admit you don't know me, you also don't know what my football knowledge is like. So stop judging that too please ?

13 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Just tell him we are playing Rangers every time and he'll win everything in the air and chip in with a goal :ph34r:

:lol:

Yeah, reckon he could've given one of those performances on Friday night. He does tend to find another level when the opposition fans whip out the union flags!

To be fair, we lost two left backs and had Anya on the other side.  Anyone that's played football knows defences take time to settle.  Weirdly, both of them played well but it knocks the balance out of the side.  Berra and Hanley haven't really played together either. They're meant to be professionals - granted - but nothing about that defence would fill you with confidence from the get go.  Cobbled together.

The problem wasnt the England game. It's been almost every other game we've played in the last 2 years. The fact the team selection, tactics and performance was far better than it has been only raises more questions about whether Strachan is up to it.

What what a better manager do? He'd get better performances out of the players in the games that really matter.

We have beat Gibraltar twice and Malta once in the last 18 months / 10 competitive games, think thats what I heard on the radio. Is that good enough, is that really enough to keep a manager in a job?

Yes, theres a list of things we need to sort as a nation, most of these cant be done overnight, several can, one of which is getting a manager who gets the most from his players. Strachan started off really good, but has been dreadful recently, this alone warrants the sack.

The people who think we can do no better, or no manager will improve things are comical. Whats the point of ever changing anything then? Lets just plod along being happy clappers.

The only credit left for Strachan is the relatively positive start he made. He had us playing pretty well, winning games we should be winning like Macedonia away, Ireland at home etc.

From Ireland away, things just seem to have gone downhill, although there were already warning signs with what could be considered as dropped points away to Poland and Germany (despite performing pretty well) and we really struggled against Georgia at home with the result perhaps papering over the cracks that far back.

Come to think about it, the good times under Strachan basically consist of a couple of friendly wins and some dead rubbers in 2013.

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The only credit left for Strachan is the relatively positive start he made. He had us playing pretty well, winning games we should be winning like Macedonia away, Ireland at home etc.

From Ireland away, things just seem to have gone downhill, although there were already warning signs with what could be considered as dropped points away to Poland and Germany (despite performing pretty well) and we really struggled against Georgia at home with the result perhaps papering over the cracks that far back.

Come to think about it, the good times under Strachan basically consist of a couple of friendly wins and some dead rubbers in 2013.

Doing the double of Croatia in 2013 was a highlight. Pity it meant nothing as we were out by then. 

I remember taking a hammering from my mates for spending big money to go to Croatia when we couldn't qualify but it was me who was laughing when I mentioned I was there when we beat the team ranked 4th in the world in their own back yard with a B team!

1 hour ago, clarky1606 said:

Doing the double of Croatia in 2013 was a highlight. Pity it meant nothing as we were out by then. 

I remember taking a hammering from my mates for spending big money to go to Croatia when we couldn't qualify but it was me who was laughing when I mentioned I was there when we beat the team ranked 4th in the world in their own back yard with a B team!

afraid still means nothing

only of any value if helps us qualify

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we've got one, he just refuses to come out of retirement and manage us

Fergie?

If the Sam allardyce tapes are to be believed Alex Ferguson is getting 400 to 500 hundred grand for one speaking engagement. It's is mad.

So Why oh why would he put that in jeopardy by managing a basket case SFA team? 500 grand is 100 grand more than they paid Mcliesh for his year in charge.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Fergie?

If the Sam allardyce tapes are to be believed Alex Ferguson is getting 400 to 500 hundred grand for one speaking engagement. It's is mad.

So Why oh why would he put that in jeopardy by managing a basket case SFA team? 500 grand is 100 grand more than they paid Mcliesh for his year in charge.

cause he's scottish and we are in a mess and facking need him