Wembley Ticket Collection - Page 6 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wembley Ticket Collection

ATAC

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, that sounds about right. It probably took a big jump for Euro 96 then another one for WC 98. So the numbers were probably a wee bit higher than I remembered and started to increase a wee bit sooner.

For Euro 96 there was no restriction on ticket applications, if you wanted to you could get  tickets for all games as an STC member.  I'm pretty sure they kept the STC open so you could join before the finals and get tickets.  I'm also pretty sure we didn't take our full allocation for the Switzerland match.  I would've put the STC membership at Euro 96 no higher than 8000 and even then I think I'm overestimating it.

They closed STC membership for France 98 the night we secured qualification by beating Latvia at Celtic Park and if you look at how the ticket allocation was decided for the final, the STC membership was probably no higher than the low 10,000s going into France 98.

I found this from the Herald in 1998 which shows that arguments over ticket allocations is nothing new.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12296754.Letters_to_the_sports_desk/

Two things are important to remember about the play-offs against England in 1999.  Firstly, every STC member could buy *two* tickets for the match and then there was also a public sale.  Remember the fuss about the telephone sales going through the GCC call centre and GCC dtaff being able to jump the queue.   Secondly, we were offered something like 8-9000 tickets for the match and had to return a few hundred.  Again, that tends to suggest that membership was in the low 10,000s.  

The SSC converted into the STC after this in 2000/2001 and there was an immediate jump in memberships, then probably getting towards the 20000 mark or maybe even slightly about that.

The SSC only reached the capped 35000 mark when membership opened up in 2008.  This was immediately after the Italy "decider" in 2007.   That game also went to a public sale, which was a bit of a shambles.  People might remember the overnight queues at Safeways and also the "unpreeecedented demand" recorded messages.   That was the point when a lot of people joined the SSC to guarantee home tickets.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this about France 98, people forget that although we had a load of fans there, especially in Paris, the allocation for the STC was pretty small.

For the Brazil game we got about 5000 and for the remaining two matches we only got 2000 each.

The way the tickets were allocated, you could have been an STC member, not had gone to any away games but could have received a ticket for one of the games.

I'm going to revise my previous estimate of STC membership in 1998 downwards to around 8-9000.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-fa-anger-at-ticket-share-for-france-98-1147255.html

I have often believed that the 'away ' support moved in cycles.

if the major tournaments Italy, France etc are placed to one side, as they will always attract numbers ( if the younger posters don't know - they do - your time will come ).

looking at the away support over the years, I have found that large numbers of younger folk are attracted and enjoy it, will go regular for a number of years and then reduce in numbers as they get married / partner up / have children. Their obligations change, time constraints, money is a factor etc a number of years later they come back and enjoy it. This will have an impact on the way the STC / SSC numbering is driven up.

Of course, there are many who are constants but the 'churn' within the SSC is high. In the absence of major tournament qualification many will question the value and benefit relationship if they are not travelling following the team. The SSC has been 'fortunate' in recent times that a couple of 'appealing' matches are there to validate membership at renewal time or encourage new membership for those younger folk starting out on the cycle. At Wembley for example I saw far more 'younger fans' than I have seen at an away game since, well, probably the last time we played them.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Here we go - 16000 STC members in 1999

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/474925.stm

"Tickets for the match at Hampden will cost from £6 for a child in the family section to £30 for an adult in the South Stand.

The SNP's shadow Deputy Sports Minister Fiona McLeod MSP said she was disappointed at the increase in prices - tickets for the last match against Lithuania cost £16.

She said: "It seems everyone is trying to cash in on the Tartan Army."

At least some things never change.:lol:

me and my brother got tickets for the brazil game no bother. 106 quid each. got offered 1500 each outside the ground.

couldn't  get norway or morocco tickets so i phoned fifa and got morroco tickets. 52 quid for 4. also got 4 belgium mexico for 52 quid for 4 also which i sold for 1000 aafter the norway game.

so at that time there wasn't enough tickets for all.

As an external interested party I was slightly somewhat envious that your clubs at least had an a working relationship with the SFA where issues of mutual concern to ATAC clubs and ( concerns likely shared by independent TA) could be raised and indeed minutes issued for scrutiny by members of individual TA clubs and indeed non members alike.

Unlike the current situation here where the CROISC is effectively an FAI construct, indeed issue statements on their behalf ( alledgely) and frankly don't particularly care about fans outside their wee clique as long as their back are scratched with regards freebies and away tickets, a few rounds of drink . the aforementioned fans spokemen are wheeled out when a fans view is needed 

Glasgow away game  being a prime example where independents with near perfect records were shafted

However I would not want to go down the road of a fee to join some global scheme ( whos fee  invarilbly will grow in size )  ( and  would be universally unpopular) though I was willing  to accept 5 euro on an away ticket as an 'admin fee'

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

me and my brother got tickets for the brazil game no bother. 106 quid each. got offered 1500 each outside the ground.

couldn't  get norway or morocco tickets so i phoned fifa and got morroco tickets. 52 quid for 4. also got 4 belgium mexico for 52 quid for 4 also which i sold for 1000 aafter the norway game.

so at that time there wasn't enough tickets for all.

Same as us, I seem to remember most people got Brazil tickets but Norway tickets were like gold dust. Didnt even get a sniff of any around Bordeaux.

A few mates got some via staff and players, so they must of had a number given to use themselves. 

It made it even worse this summer that we missed out and there was a lot if matches with plenty of empty seats. 

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So, about 120.000 part timers? ;)

It does show how many have joined and chucked it over the years. Many of the ones i travel with let their membership lapse and they just take their chances at getting tickets as in their opinion it was a wast of time and money being in the SSC. Some of course have left and went back.

38 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

It does show how many have joined and chucked it over the years. Many of the ones i travel with let their membership lapse and they just take their chances at getting tickets as in their opinion it was a wast of time and money being in the SSC. Some of course have left and went back.

Yes my STC number was a lot lower than my SSC number.

18 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Same as us, I seem to remember most people got Brazil tickets but Norway tickets were like gold dust. Didnt even get a sniff of any around Bordeaux.

A few mates got some via staff and players, so they must of had a number given to use themselves. 

It made it even worse this summer that we missed out and there was a lot if matches with plenty of empty seats. 

The criteria for France 98 if I remember right was :

Been to 1 away game, you got a Brazil ticket

Been to 2 or more (or the game that never happened in Tallinn), you got all 3

Been to none, you got one for Morocco/Norway (or if you were lucky Brazil)

Edited by Glasgowmancity

1 hour ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I think it might have been three qualifiers for all matches but that was the general principle.  

We'd a total of 9000 tickets for the finals across the three games.  I doubt there was more than a thousand that got all three matches so it does suggest the STC had around 8000 members at that point.

1 hour ago, Glasgowmancity said:

To this day i have no idea how they worked out the Brazil game. One of our group who had not been to an away game and had not long joined the STC somehow got one while the rest of us who had went to away games and had been STC members well before the WC didn't. I got one for Norway only.

17 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

To this day i have no idea how they worked out the Brazil game. One of our group who had not been to an away game and had not long joined the STC somehow got one while the rest of us who had went to away games and had been STC members well before the WC didn't. I got one for Norway only.

There was a ballot and there does seem to be some suggestion that you got precedence for the Brazil game if you've been to an away qualifier.  

It could just be that it was a straight ballot and because there were more tickets available for the Brazil game than the others, it just looked like they had given priority to people that had been to an away qualifier.  Who knows, Marjorie I guess.

TBH, out of the three, Norway was the best one to get as it was a better match and also the general atmosphere in Bordeaux was brilliant.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

There was a ballot and there does seem to be some suggestion that you got precedence for the Brazil game if you've been to an away qualifier.  

It could just be that it was a straight ballot and because there were more tickets available for the Brazil game than the others, it just looked like they had given priority to people that had been to an away qualifier.  Who knows, Marjorie I guess.

TBH, out of the three, Norway was the best one to get as it was a better match and also the general atmosphere in Bordeaux was brilliant.

Bordeaux was that good i went back two years later for a holiday and staff in restaurants and pubs where still keen to talk about the 'friendly invasion'

When i think back now i really feel for our younger gen of fans, spending near 3 weeks at that particular WC was one of the best football experiences of my life and its hard to describe unless someone has been. Half of our fans have never even know what a tournament is like. Kind of hits it home when thought about like that.

55 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

I had only been to the rearranged game in Monaco & got the Brazil game.  The guy next to me hadn't made any away games that campaign, but had a record of going to previous tournaments & previous qualifiers so got a ticket for all 3 games :ok:

36 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I had only been to the rearranged game in Monaco & got the Brazil game.  The guy next to me hadn't made any away games that campaign, but had a record of going to previous tournaments & previous qualifiers so got a ticket for all 3 games :ok:

I went to previous tournaments as well (before and after joining the STC) and i'd need to check back but pretty sure i got to 2 of the qualifiers (deffo one) and still never got a Brazil brief. 

tbh at the time i was not fussed as i was just chuffed i got one at all (even if i did break my ankle the day before the Brazil game playing football outside the Hotel des Invalides, but thats an entirely different story. :P )

46 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

There was definitely a weighting towards those with the lower membership numbers  . I think we got 7500 tickets for Brazil . Four of us got official tickets with the highest membership number about 12,500 .

I'm just below that & got one, my pal was 14400ish & got one too.

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

There was definitely a weighting towards those with the lower membership numbers  . I think we got 7500 tickets for Brazil . Four of us got official tickets with the highest membership number about 12,500 .

That's the way it used to be in the STC. The folk who had been in the STC longest, got priority for tickets. But it didn't matter too often because for most games everybody who wanted a ticket usually got one. I think the WC98 was the first time they started to move away from that principle. 

11 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

They must just not like you :lol::lol::lol: 

:unsure:

mibbes aye :P I've never had an issue in all the years travelling dealing with the STC/SSC, tbh, I do owe them a debt of gratitude for help at one game when they really looked after me many moons ago so far as they were arranging to fly me home but circumstances changed and I didn't need it but I'm eternally grateful for the care and compassion they showed.

2 hours ago, TartanTon said:

:unsure:

mibbes aye :P I've never had an issue in all the years travelling dealing with the STC/SSC, tbh, I do owe them a debt of gratitude for help at one game when they really looked after me many moons ago so far as they were arranging to fly me home but circumstances changed and I didn't need it but I'm eternally grateful for the care and compassion they showed.

Aye, they were good and it came accross as they cared. Perhaps im looking back with rose tinted spectacles. 

Im pretty sure the first few trips we did were with Passport travel, who Im not sure were officially linked with STC or not. 

8 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

We got under 5000 tickets for the Brazil game, your membership number was irrelevant. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-fa-anger-at-ticket-share-for-france-98-1147255.html