Strachan remains

clarky1606

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Norway coach Per-Mathias Hogmo has resigned after a series of defeats in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup finals, the Norwegian Football Federation has confirmed.

“Per-Mathias and the NFF have agreed that Hogmo will end his functions as Norwegian manager,” the NFF said in a statement.

With only three points from four matches in World Cup qualifying, Norway have little chance of qualifying for the 2018 tournament in Russia. The Norwegians have lost to Germany (3-0), Azerbaijan (1-0) and last Friday 2-1 to Czech Republic and are second bottom in Group C. They have one win over San Marino.

Hogmo says he has “reached the point where the players and (the federation) weighed more.”

Under him, Norway also failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 European Championship.

There is no news yet about the identity of a possible successor.

You can't deny there are some striking similarities here!

Strachan started out well and it has all seemed to go to pieces since the victory at home to Ireland. Having started that campaign with a high-tempo and expansive game, he seemed to start trying to play in a very contained and measured, stand-offish way that totally highlighted our weaknesses and limitations. 

The selection and approach on Friday night was back to what I would want and expect. Both from a starting lineup and from the approach to the game. Granted we lost cheap goals and missed chances but that's the difference in quality of the players - not the manager if you ask me. It was a world apart in comparison the Lithuania and Slovakia games just a month earlier. 

I probably thought it was time for him to go as well but I don't doubt that he has the belief that we can still get 2nd in the group. It'll take a miraculous run of results but he'll need to go back to the way he started his tenure and hope that it all clicks in to place. He knows that support for him has never been lower so I have a bit of admiration that he has the balls to risk even more brutal criticism from all quarters in an attempt to put things right. At the end of the day - the guy wants us to win and succeed. Whether he can make that happen is a different matter. 

We have Slovenia at home next. If he comes out on the Monday morning press conference before that and says that it's not must-win then i think someone will chuck him in the Clyde. It's time for him to change his tune, tactics and selections to adapt to the reality of the environment. Win that one and it's England next at home... 

13 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Strachan started out well and it has all seemed to go to pieces since the victory at home to Ireland. Having started that campaign with a high-tempo and expansive game, he seemed to start trying to play in a very contained and measured, stand-offish way that totally highlighted our weaknesses and limitations. 

The selection and approach on Friday night was back to what I would want and expect. Both from a starting lineup and from the approach to the game. Granted we lost cheap goals and missed chances but that's the difference in quality of the players - not the manager if you ask me. It was a world apart in comparison the Lithuania and Slovakia games just a month earlier. 

I probably thought it was time for him to go as well but I don't doubt that he has the belief that we can still get 2nd in the group. It'll take a miraculous run of results but he'll need to go back to the way he started his tenure and hope that it all clicks in to place. He knows that support for him has never been lower so I have a bit of admiration that he has the balls to risk even more brutal criticism from all quarters in an attempt to put things right. At the end of the day - the guy wants us to win and succeed. Whether he can make that happen is a different matter. 

We have Slovenia at home next. If he comes out on the Monday morning press conference before that and says that it's not must-win then i think someone will chuck him in the Clyde. It's time for him to change his tune, tactics and selections to adapt to the reality of the environment. Win that one and it's England next at home... 

Good post. It's Strachan's mindset and demeanour that I just can't see changing. If Burke starts regularly in the Bundesliga, will he start for us? I doubt it - Strachan will find some tortured 'what if?' reason to leave him out. We'll never mix up the forwards with the guys (McCormack, Rhodes etc) who have been fenced out, and we'll keep getting a haunted, lost looking WGS talking about how we're scared as a footballing nation, we don't have the players.... and we'll refuse to take on realistic friendlies, or probably friendlies of any sort. 

Everything just feels so stale.

The only +ve is (and you have to be an optimist to see it this way) that it would surely have been easier for Strachan to walk away or agree a termination package. This cannae be fun for him either, but he obviously cares/believes somewhere deep down that all is not lost. The cynic in me says that his whopping salary probably takes the sting out of this difficult time for him somewhat.

10 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Good post. It's Strachan's mindset and demeanour that I just can't see changing. If Burke starts regularly in the Bundesliga, will he start for us? I doubt it - Strachan will find some tortured 'what if?' reason to leave him out. We'll never mix up the forwards with the guys (McCormack, Rhodes etc) who have been fenced out, and we'll keep getting a haunted, lost looking WGS talking about how we're scared as a footballing nation, we don't have the players.... and we'll refuse to take on realistic friendlies, or probably friendlies of any sort. 

Everything just feels so stale.

The only +ve is (and you have to be an optimist to see it this way) that it would surely have been easier for Strachan to walk away or agree a termination package. This cannae be fun for him either, but he obviously cares/believes somewhere deep down that all is not lost. The cynic in me says that his whopping salary probably takes the sting out of this difficult time for him somewhat.

The cynic in me says that it is the same sheer bloody mindedness that he has shown over the past couple of years that is keeping him here. I have no doubt whatsoever about his passion for Scotland but his arrogance is blinding him. For me there is sadly now no other option than a boycott . 

8 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Where else do you keep your job while being an utter failure?

8 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Where else do you keep your job while being an utter failure?

Most international football managers are 'utter failures' and don't manage to get their teams to final tournaments. I'm guessing the SFA contemplated (and perhaps researched) possible replacements. They may have also canvassed what the players think of Strachan. The lack of a better replacement and most players supporting him probably made up their mind.

11 minutes ago, Tartacus said:

Most international football managers are 'utter failures' and don't manage to get their teams to final tournaments. I'm guessing the SFA contemplated (and perhaps researched) possible replacements. They may have also canvassed what the players think of Strachan. The lack of a better replacement and most players supporting him probably made up their mind.

And I think you give the SFA far too much credit.

Nah it's just another spineless, self serving, phuked up decision to go with all the others. 

Useless khunt$ to a man!

3 minutes ago, Brassrubber said:

How much are the In Gord We Trust badges now ?

I am still behind him. Think there are more on here than you think that do also.