Strachan remains - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan remains

clarky1606

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Tartacus said:

I think if someone is eligible through family or living in Scotland and they really want to play for Scotland it shouldn't be a problem.  

That there is the problem for many. Most of these guys don't really want to play for us, as guys like Morrison and bardsley have openly admitted. We are a back up plan for their careers, and I'm sorry if I haven't moved with the times on this, but that's not good enough for me if you are going to represent my country. 

Why can't they all be like Don Hutchinson, English born to Scottish parent who clearly stated he was Scottish. 

41 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

That there is the problem for many. Most of these guys don't really want to play for us, as guys like Morrison and bardsley have openly admitted. We are a back up plan for their careers, and I'm sorry if I haven't moved with the times on this, but that's not good enough for me if you are going to represent my country. 

Why can't they all be like Don Hutchinson, English born to Scottish parent who clearly stated he was Scottish. 

Good post.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

Look at how pish we are - even our own born and bred players like McCarthy and McGeady have chosen another country to represent. 

How many tournaments has McGeady been to since he made the decision to represent a different nation? How many would he have been to if he'd stayed with Scotland - 0

We are even a back up plan to our own players sometimes. 

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Look at how pish we are - even our own born and bred players like McCarthy and McGeady have chosen another country to represent. 

How many tournaments has McGeady been to since he made the decision to represent a different nation? How many would he have been to if he'd stayed with Scotland - 0

We are even a back up plan to our own players sometimes. 

By all accounts mcgeady wanted to be Irish from day one, although he had to use the granny rule to qualify I think. McCarthy is no different to the aforementioned Morrison and Bardsley. I think he is cheating some Irish lad out of the opportunity of playing for his country. Either way if they are not proud to be Scottish then they shouldn't be welcome anyway. 

3 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

was he really

when young and at Liverpool Hutchison was considered a decent player but nowhere near good enough to get past your shearers at that time

is it really the case that if he was and had been asked he would have said no I'm Scottish

do we just remember him more fondly than others cause of one goal

seem to remember missed a competitive cap as arranged his marriage for same weekend

Edited by Bino's

13 minutes ago, Bino's said:

was he really

when young and at Liverpool Hutchison was considered a decent player but nowhere near good enough to get past your shearers at that time

is it really the case that if he was and had been asked he would have said no I'm Scottish

seem to remember missed a competitive cap as arranged his marriage for same weekend

it was Liverpool West ham and Sheffield United he'd been at before even began representing us when at Everton

who Walter smith was manager at time wasn't he?

hardly busting at seims from word go

more like tapped up like all the rest

If Don Hutchison had a son, who was born in England with an English mother, should the son be allowed to play for Scotland?

14 minutes ago, Bino's said:

it was Liverpool West ham and Sheffield United he'd been at before even began representing us when at Everton

Not really sure what your point is here

33 minutes ago, Bino's said:

was he really

I can understand missing a cap for your wedding. It's one of the most important days of your life. He's a footballer not a saint ffs. Mulgrew got stick for something similar too. Ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Don wasn't born in Scotland. He qualified because his dad was born in Scotland.

Indeed. Earlier poster has questioned whether he was 'always' Scottish, but my understanding is that he always classed himself so, albeit I'm in no position to confirm. I've certainly never seen pictures of him in an England shirt tho, I know that much. So, my position here is that the 'son' would in fact have a Scottish father. 

I can understand missing a cap for your wedding. It's one of the most important days of your life. He's a footballer not a saint ffs. Mulgrew got stick for something similar too. Ridiculous. 

international footballers should not be scheduling their weddings for dates that have international fixture dates

have you ever heard of a top level Saturday fixture for that reason

it does show a lack of commitment

it was early in his Scotland career, when he maybe wasn't as committed as he was laterally

2 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Indeed. Earlier poster has questioned whether he was 'always' Scottish, but my understanding is that he always classed himself so, albeit I'm in no position to confirm. I've certainly never seen pictures of him in an England shirt tho, I know that much. So, my position here is that the 'son' would in fact have a Scottish father. 

You're selective with your viewpoint here.

Hutchison, like the others you named, also wasn't good enough for England.

If he was, he would've been capped for them well before he came on our radar. That's why he only became avaialable to us in his mid 20s 

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If he was, he would've been capped for them well before he came on our radar. That's why he only became avaialable to us in his mid 20s 

Or he matured late and was never considered for a cap until then. A bit like the awesome Matt Ritchie.

9 hours ago, Bino's said:

I've always been under the impression that it was never up fir debate that don was a scot through and through, however you got me questioning it. Thought I'd take a wee visit to his Twitter see if there was any clues. I am now wholly satisfied that he's as Scottish as the rest of us. 

20 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I've always been under the impression that it was never up fir debate that don was a scot through and through, however you got me questioning it. Thought I'd take a wee visit to his Twitter see if there was any clues. I am now wholly satisfied that he's as Scottish as the rest of us. 

Whats up Don Hutchison ? Is Jordan Rhodes and Andy Rhodes Not a Prime example here? Im pretty sure the Name Don is a Short abrreviation of Donald only Used in Schottland, or is Don only Used in Italy ?

On 11/24/2016 at 11:31 AM, TartanTon said:

A great game but sadly not a sport easy accessible to all in Scotland despite rhetoric to the contrary.

Have to disagree with that.  5/10 minutes from my house I have Strathaven Rugby club, EK, and Hamilton Rugby Club who all have excellent facilities for young players, in Motherwell you have Dalziel, who I started playing with at 5 years old, whilst elsewhere in Lanarkshire you have Lanark, Biggar, Cambuslang,  Uddingston, Drumpellier, Cumbernauld to name a few.  Rugby has never been more inclusive or accessible to youngsters in Scotland, if anything it is far more accessible than football is these days.

57 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Rugby has never been more inclusive or accessible to youngsters in Scotland, if anything it is far more accessible than football is these days.

Emphasising again the complete ineptitude of the SFA and our supposed national game

18 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hutchison always wanted to play for Scotland, whether or not he was good enough for England was irrelevant.

He played in a B international against Wales when he was 22 in 1994 and still at Liverpool.

That was a pretty big deal for him as it was during the period when UEFA had the three foreigners rule in place and by playing for Scotland - even at B level - meant he would be considered as a foreign player for Liverpool.   I remember at the time there was a lot of talk in the press that Liverpool were putting him under pressure not to play for Scotland.   Dominic Matteo was in the same position which might have had a bearing on his initial decision to play for England.

Edited by aaid