Strachan remains - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan remains

clarky1606

3 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Have to disagree with that.  5/10 minutes from my house I have Strathaven Rugby club, EK, and Hamilton Rugby Club who all have excellent facilities for young players, in Motherwell you have Dalziel, who I started playing with at 5 years old, whilst elsewhere in Lanarkshire you have Lanark, Biggar, Cambuslang,  Uddingston, Drumpellier, Cumbernauld to name a few.  Rugby has never been more inclusive or accessible to youngsters in Scotland, if anything it is far more accessible than football is these days.

Yes. Your house. 

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, aaid said:

He played in a B international against Wales when he was 22 in 1994 and still at Liverpool.

didnt know that!

who else played in that game

PS the return of the three foreigners rule would go some way to curing the ills of our game

Edited by Bino's

7 hours ago, TartanTon said:

Yes. Your house. 

Point being that your assertion of the West of Scotland being a closed shop of posh kids when it comes to Rugby is wrong. The facilities available have never been better, the level of coaching is the best it has ever been, the coaches are doing training classes in every primary school that will let them and kids are taking an interest in it. Having a relatively exciting national team and a successful Glasgow side helps greatly right enough.  If you are in Greenock, you have at least 6 rugby clubs with good facilities that are open to everyone within a 30(ish) minute drive.  Rugby is no longer a sport for just kids with wealthy parents(hasn't really ever been where I'm from).

My wee boy goes to football, rugby & tennis as his main sports and the most expensive is the Football, not only in terms of monthly cost, but in general expense.  The rugby is cheapest, with the tennis/rugby coaching and facilities absolutely streets ahead of the what football has to offer.

16 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Point being that your assertion of the West of Scotland being a closed shop of posh kids when it comes to Rugby is wrong. The facilities available have never been better, the level of coaching is the best it has ever been, the coaches are doing training classes in every primary school that will let them and kids are taking an interest in it. Having a relatively exciting national team and a successful Glasgow side helps greatly right enough.  If you are in Greenock, you have at least 6 rugby clubs with good facilities that are open to everyone within a 30(ish) minute drive.  Rugby is no longer a sport for just kids with wealthy parents(hasn't really ever been where I'm from).

My wee boy goes to football, rugby & tennis as his main sports and the most expensive is the Football, not only in terms of monthly cost, but in general expense.  The rugby is cheapest, with the tennis/rugby coaching and facilities absolutely streets ahead of the what football has to offer.

It is where i live, in a fairly large swathe of the west coast, so my assertion is not wrong. 30 minute drives are no good if you don't drive either. Maybe i just live in a forgotten town eh? (and yes, the local club does do mini rugby but i do not know a single person with a child attending, maybe i live in among the forgotten people)

Successful national team? When was the last time they had a decent 6 nations? I think the last time they won it was 99 (5 nations), last grand slam is so long ago its virtually grainy footage (90).  (One game v Australia in the WC doesn't state we have a good national team). In the past 4 years we have collected the wooden spoon twice and very nearly collected another 2 times. Excellent progress.

In fact, looking at it, its following the same pattern of our football. ie, *****. and if we have huge numbers of kids involved, as we have in football, then something is seriously wrong as internationally we (both) are going backwards.

I'm also scratching the head a little at the assumption tennis//rugby are streets ahead in facilities considering the massive investment in football and all round sports facilities. Maybe though catering more for the elite is actually detrimental (when we are a nation woefully lacking in top talent across the sports, with one obvious exclusion who learned his trade in Spain and England)

4 hours ago, TartanTon said:

It is where i live, in a fairly large swathe of the west coast, so my assertion is not wrong. 30 minute drives are no good if you don't drive either. Maybe i just live in a forgotten town eh? (and yes, the local club does do mini rugby but i do not know a single person with a child attending, maybe i live in among the forgotten people)

Successful national team? When was the last time they had a decent 6 nations? I think the last time they won it was 99 (5 nations), last grand slam is so long ago its virtually grainy footage (90).  (One game v Australia in the WC doesn't state we have a good national team). In the past 4 years we have collected the wooden spoon twice and very nearly collected another 2 times. Excellent progress.

In fact, looking at it, its following the same pattern of our football. ie, *****. and if we have huge numbers of kids involved, as we have in football, then something is seriously wrong as internationally we (both) are going backwards.

I'm also scratching the head a little at the assumption tennis//rugby are streets ahead in facilities considering the massive investment in football and all round sports facilities. Maybe though catering more for the elite is actually detrimental (when we are a nation woefully lacking in top talent across the sports, with one obvious exclusion who learned his trade in Spain and England)

Do you watch rugby or just look at stats off Wikipedia!?

We were robbed out of qualifying for the semi final of the World Cup last year and just completed a successful autumn international period. 

Ranked 7th in the world and the most exciting side we've had with the best depth in over 15 years < the opinion of rugby experts.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

We were robbed out of qualifying for the semi final of the World Cup last year and just completed a successful autumn international period. 

Ranked 7th in the world and the most exciting side we've had with the best depth in over 15 years < the opinion of rugby experts.

The other 5 teams below us must be gutted! :P

I'd go as far as saying that if the current rugby team and current football team we both playing on telly at the same time, I'd probably watch the rugby. As much as I've always enjoyed watching Scotland play rugby, that is a complete turnaround for me.

TT, in my opinion the fortunes or international rugby teams ebb and flow much more than football. Outside of the very top sides, countries results can vary massively even from year to year. If you think Scotland doesn't currently have a very good rugby team then you haven't been paying attention.

The Scotland rugby team is actually decent just now and the best since we last won the championship in 1999.  That was a relatively old team though and this is a young one which has a lot of good years ahead of it given there is strength and depth in the squad as well.  Rugby is still though very much a minority sport in this country with far fewer than 10,000 adult males playing for clubs (no matter what the SRU's official number is) and that is one of the reasons we can only expect to have a decent team once every 15 to 20 years.  Yes we're not shy at selecting English, Zimbabwean, South African, Australian and New Zealand players but we are starting from a very narrow base plus all of the other major European countries do exactly the same with much higher participant levels.

If you're just a football fan who doesn't like other sports or are the sort of idiot who thinks rugby can only be enjoyed by posh people then you're hardly likely to choose the rugby team over the football team to watch.  I personally love both sports so watch both national teams though I know which one I'm going to get easily get the most pleasure watching in the next 10 years.

On 28/11/2016 at 5:52 PM, ProudScot said:

I played it, i watched it. I was thoroughly interested. now, i couldn't give a sh*t about it. successful Autumn international,, yippee, but if ok i'll refer you back to the 5/6 nations to gauge Scotlands 'success'.

As for being robbed, again, i don't care, i smirked when that happened. Me bad.

7th in the world of rugby is like being quarter finalists in the Irn Bru cup. In other words the big boys don't notice.

Scotland could be so much better to.

5 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

The Scotland rugby team is actually decent just now and the best since we last won the championship in 1999.  That was a relatively old team though and this is a young one which has a lot of good years ahead of it given there is strength and depth in the squad as well.  Rugby is still though very much a minority sport in this country with far fewer than 10,000 adult males playing for clubs (no matter what the SRU's official number is) and that is one of the reasons we can only expect to have a decent team once every 15 to 20 years.  Yes we're not shy at selecting English, Zimbabwean, South African, Australian and New Zealand players but we are starting from a very narrow base plus all of the other major European countries do exactly the same with much higher participant levels.

If you're just a football fan who doesn't like other sports or are the sort of idiot who thinks rugby can only be enjoyed by posh people then you're hardly likely to choose the rugby team over the football team to watch.  I personally love both sports so watch both national teams though I know which one I'm going to get easily get the most pleasure watching in the next 10 years.

Is that accurate? If so it tells me all i need to know about this 'inclusive' sport.

17 hours ago, TartanTon said:

I played it, i watched it. I was thoroughly interested. now, i couldn't give a sh*t about it. successful Autumn international,, yippee, but if ok i'll refer you back to the 5/6 nations to gauge Scotlands 'success'.

As for being robbed, again, i don't care, i smirked when that happened. Me bad.

7th in the world of rugby is like being quarter finalists in the Irn Bru cup. In other words the big boys don't notice.

Scotland could be so much better to.

The 5 nations was last played 17 years ago.

I switched off when you mentioned that and realised you have very little idea what you're talking about.

16 hours ago, Bino's said:

I thought it was 50,000

It says 11,687 for senior males.  But the genuine figure is about three-to-four thousand fewer given the reduction in the number of clubs and the number of sides they put out compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

Edited by Chesney TA

1 hour ago, Chesney TA said:

It says 11,687 for senior males.  But the genuine figure is about three-to-four thousand fewer given the reduction in the number of clubs and the number of sides they put out compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

not a bad effort nationally then considering

20 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The 5 nations was last played 17 years ago.

I switched off when you mentioned that and realised you have very little idea what you're talking about.

Did ye aye?

maybe if you had read it right.

here, I'll help

i said "When was the last time they had a decent 6 nations? I think the last time they won it was 99 (5 nations"

18 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

In other words Rugby is in a downward trend in Scotland.

4 hours ago, McVinceSCT said:

This is a bigger problem than Strachan remaining...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37989247

No ball games signs everywhere when I was a tot. It's got even worse with the amount of selfish, whinging old fvckers we have. No voting cvnts that'll be deid soon though.

Edited by Ormond

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Ormond said:

No ball games signs everywhere when I was a tot. It's got even worse with the amount of selfish, whinging old fvckers we have. No voting cvnts that'll be deid soo though.

You sum a lot of things up nicely for me.  :ok:

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

No ball games signs everywhere when I was a tot. It's got even worse with the amount of selfish, whinging old fvckers we have. No voting cvnts that'll be deid soon though.

We used to use the no ball games sign as a post. Even better if there was a handily place tree to act as the other post. 

• 1 month later...