Attempt at being positive - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Attempt at being positive

Tartacus

Scotland desperately need a goalscorer, a guy who is seen as a danger man by the opposition. Is there any chance of one emerging by next year? Burke ? I think if we had one the effect on the team would be profound. Defenders and midfielders would improve (Wales being a good example with average players improving with Bale as the danger man).   

15 minutes ago, Tartacus said:

Scotland desperately need a goalscorer, a guy who is seen as a danger man by the opposition. Is there any chance of one emerging by next year? Burke ? I think if we had one the effect on the team would be profound. Defenders and midfielders would improve (Wales being a good example with average players improving with Bale as the danger man).   

Wales defence is streaks ahead of ours.

Gareth Bale in the Scotland team with the present manager would still see us in a similar position.

On playing front, we need to refresh squad with a good 5/6 players losing out to others - centre-half and centre-midfielder are the priorities but we also need to now start building Burke into team more permanently. I think tactics is the area where there's potential for big games. Strachan has set team up to be too defensive and too lethargic. The England showed that when the players are set up with pace and told to play a pressing game, we look far better. Fitness and match sharpness needs to factor far more in player selection in order to play a fast, pressing game.

All in all, I seen enough in the England game to know that as much as we tear our hair out at the state of the national team, this crop of players can play with pace and aggression if they wanted to. Responsibility for this rests with the management team so it's within our control to do better - it's not just down to technical limitations of the players.

4 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

On playing front, we need to refresh squad with a good 5/6 players losing out to others - centre-half and centre-midfielder are the priorities but we also need to now start building Burke into team more permanently. I think tactics is the area where there's potential for big games. Strachan has set team up to be too defensive and too lethargic. The England showed that when the players are set up with pace and told to play a pressing game, we look far better. Fitness and match sharpness needs to factor far more in player selection in order to play a fast, pressing game.

All in all, I seen enough in the England game to know that as much as we tear our hair out at the state of the national team, this crop of players can play with pace and aggression if they wanted to. Responsibility for this rests with the management team so it's within our control to do better - it's not just down to technical limitations of the players.

:ok::ok:Agreed

6 hours ago, Tartacus said:

RB Leipzig on BT tonight. Leverkusen away. See if Burke gets a game or even some game time. At central defence, not sure if Berra and Martin have played together and also wonder if Calum Paterson can play centre half. Jambos please advise.

Good wee video by of all people Pat Nevin, on the BBC, on the new Chelsea formation of 3-4-3 and how it has freed up Hazard.

We could do this :

-------- Marshall /Gordon

Paterson Berra Tierney

Anya -----McArthur Fletch---------- Robertson /Wallace

-------------- Morrison

--------- Burke ---------- Griffiths

With Burke in the Hazard role cutting in from either wing.

We need to be bold from now on.

Edited by runningtings
Missed a bit out

Craig Wighton looks like he's about to become a player. I'm interested to hear how he gets on at Ibrox this afternoon. If he can fill out a bit he's got the ability to be our main striker in a couple of years from now.

Chris Cadden is another player who can boost our pace/power options. I'm wondering if he moves to a higher level whether he could become a right back.