venice - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

dan cake

Was there this summer with the family and would offer as follows:

We stayed on the Lido, which in general was much cheaper than the main island, plus you've got the advantage of the beach to spend a few hours at! We stayed at Hotel Rigel which was just a few minutes walk from the jetty. Nice wee bars with some having views over to the main island or overlooking the canals of the Lido, with decent eating options there as well

For getting around, we bought the travel ticket online - was quite expensive TBH but when you consider a single trip on the water ferry was €7.50 and you'd need at least a return, it did pay for itself!

If you're getting the airport bus or the train in, don't worry as they are on opposite side of the canal from each other and no more than 400m apart, so both are well placed for reaching wherever you decide to stay.

We made use of the travel ticket and one day went to the farthest away island, Burano and island hoped our way back to the main island - Burano is the one with the multi coloured houses and Murano is the one for the famous glass items

The main island was pretty good to explore but goes without saying, don't eat or drink anywhere near the main tourist points - we found a few decent places in the middle part, but if you stay on the Lido, plan to get your evening meal there and you can get the night ferry as a later travel option as well

hope that helps but feel free to PM if you want any specific information on the above?

57 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

East a cone and ride a gondola 

:Tumbleweed-2:

26 minutes ago, DeeRus said:

Was there this summer with the family and would offer as follows:

We stayed on the Lido, which in general was much cheaper than the main island, plus you've got the advantage of the beach to spend a few hours at! We stayed at Hotel Rigel which was just a few minutes walk from the jetty. Nice wee bars with some having views over to the main island or overlooking the canals of the Lido, with decent eating options there as well

For getting around, we bought the travel ticket online - was quite expensive TBH but when you consider a single trip on the water ferry was €7.50 and you'd need at least a return, it did pay for itself!

If you're getting the airport bus or the train in, don't worry as they are on opposite side of the canal from each other and no more than 400m apart, so both are well placed for reaching wherever you decide to stay.

We made use of the travel ticket and one day went to the farthest away island, Burano and island hoped our way back to the main island - Burano is the one with the multi coloured houses and Murano is the one for the famous glass items

The main island was pretty good to explore but goes without saying, don't eat or drink anywhere near the main tourist points - we found a few decent places in the middle part, but if you stay on the Lido, plan to get your evening meal there and you can get the night ferry as a later travel option as well

hope that helps but feel free to PM if you want any specific information on the above?

cheers mate

I was there with the bird in the summer for 3 nights and had a great time. 

We stayed at Hotel Filu. Which, while pretty basic was modern (recent refurbishment), clean and reasonably well located. I can be quite fussy when it comes to hotels and don't like places which look dated. This was about the only place we found that was modern and wasn't a fortune. Think we paid around £130/night. It's around a 25 minute to St Mark's Square if the streets are busy but you can do it in about 15 if it's quiet. 5-10 minute walk from the train station. 

In terms of food and drink i would advise to head to Cannaregio, which i believe is the old Jewish district and the only place where Venetians actually still number in the majority. Some cracking small restaurants serving proper food at very reasonable prices. The two of us went out one night, sat right on the banks of a canal, had starters, mains, prosecco and beers and had change from 60 Euros. A few decent bars in this area too. We sat in a few along Fondamenta Dei Ormesini which were lively (with folk of all ages actually, some pubs were clearly more favoured by younger folk though) and very affordable - bottles of Peroni Nastro Azzuro for 2 euros. Some decent places for Ciccetti in this area too, which is good if you're sitting drinking. 

The places in the main tourist areas are mainly crap food and extortionate. You'll pay £80 for a below par meal (2 starters, 2 mains & 1 beer each). 

If you're having a break from sightseeing there's plenty places where you can stop by a quiet square next to the canal and have a few beers purchased from the supermarket. Sitting in the sun, watching the water traffic go buy and having a beer is a great way to spend an hour or two. 

I can't recommend anything "unusual" as we did the main touristy things that most folk do i'd imagine. As mentioned above the water busses are very expensive! We did go out to Murano and Burano but not sure i'd recommend them too highly, unless you're in to seeing pretty scenery. 

If you get the pass as Deeruss suggests you can play water bus roulette. Just get on and see where it takes you. Murano is good and there is also a water bus that takes you past the football ground. Fabulous place all in all.

One unusual thing I did the last time I was there was to go to a classical concert in a church. Ok, I was with the bird and made the casual offer of going thinking it would be sold out. After my initial disappointment when she re appeared with tickets, the concert itself was excellent in a very atmospheric church. It was Vivaldi's Four Seasons so nothing heavy. It was a highly enjoyable night then we went to Harrys bar which I would avoid at all costs. Its like somebody's front room with a toy town bar and really crazy prices. 22 euros for a gin and tonic three years ago. 16 euros for a bellini.