Find This Sad - Page 2 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Find This Sad

glasgow jock

2 hours ago, the_walls said:

Wow :lol:

Would that be indicative of a large chunk of Rangers' support or would it just be a small minority?

IMHO the hard core sectarian element are a small minority (well it certainly used to be) - does Ireland have an element of the population with a self loathing cringe ?

1 minute ago, glasgow jock said:

IMHO the hard core sectarian element are a small minority (well it certainly used to be) - does Ireland have an element of the population with a self loathing cringe ?

Not that I am aware of anyway.

I just find it utterly bizarre that Scottish football fans would cheer against the Scottish football team, no matter how bad the perceived bias is against their club. Mental!

I'd imagine those type of lads would be fully in favour of a Team GB?

Like all countries not all club fans have much interest in International football (which I can fully understand), however not too many countries has a section of fans (from it's biggest club) who openly detest their own national team and gloat when we lose to our oldest footballing rivals.

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Just as we have our North Brits, Ireland has its own West Brits, Bob Geldof being a great example.

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 6:18 PM, aaid said:

Just as we have our North Brits, Ireland has its own West Brits, Bob Geldof being a great example.

Do they actually though? They might have some that live in the UK and might appear to love Britain etc as it's where they live but is there actually any significant section of the population in the Republic of Ireland that want to join the UK?

3 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Do they actually though? They might have some that live in the UK and might appear to love Britain etc as it's where they live but is there actually any significant section of the population in the Republic of Ireland that want to join the UK?

There's not as many as in Scotland - but then Ireland has been independent for almost 100 years - but they do have a disproportionate influence and voice.  You're primarily talking about the Irish aristocracy, landowners and upper and middle class Dubliners.  

I lived in Dublin for a short time in the early 90s and it was a term that was pretty widely used.

Bob Geldof is actually a great example - especially as he was the first person I heard described disparingly as such by friends of mine in Dublin.  Bearing in mind, this was only a few years after Live Aid and pretty much everyone in the UK was buying into the whole Saint Bob myth.   

He grew up in Dun Laoghaire - where I was actually working - and is really West Brit central and went to Blackrock College which is one of the top fee paying schools in the Republic.  

For all the sweary punk rock posturing, he's a West Brit to his bones and that showed when he was all too keen to accept his knighthood and his subsequent intervention in IndyRef.

Good summary here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Brit

Guest BlueGaz
On 24/11/2016 at 3:26 PM, the_walls said:

Not that I am aware of anyway.

I just find it utterly bizarre that Scottish football fans would cheer against the Scottish football team, no matter how bad the perceived bias is against their club. Mental!

I'd imagine those type of lads would be fully in favour of a Team GB?

You think that all the Scots who bought tickets and openly supported ROI in the qualifier at Hampden would be fully in favour of a Team GB?  I don't.