FAW in Poppy trouble now. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

FAW in Poppy trouble now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

It's the fans in the stands that is crazy.

Whats the FAW supposed to do, rip poppies off of everyone's chest?

J

That's strict liability. Celtic got fined for fans flying Palestine flags. 

I see where you are going.

But is the annual wearing of a Poppy in all walks of life across the country the same as waving many flags in response to actual live Israeli bombing of Palestinian territory the same?

Seems that FIFA/UEFA believe it to be the same.

Not sure the majority of the British public see it the same though.

J

12 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I see where you are going.

But is the annual wearing of a Poppy in all walks of life across the country the same as waving many flags in response to actual live Israeli bombing of Palestinian territory the same?

Seems that FIFA/UEFA believe it to be the same.

Not sure the majority of the British public see it the same though.

J

What "the majority of the British Public see" is completely and utterly irrelevant. It's not 1950 and Britannia doesn't rule the waves.

Maybe if successive British Government didn't turn the poppy in to a political symbol, this would never have happened.  

Guest BlueGaz
7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What "the majority of the British Public see" is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Surely what the public see and want to do in this situation is absolute?

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

Surely what the public see and want to do in this situation is absolute?

In terms of FIFA rules, which FAW have been charged for breaking, it is utterly irrelevant. 

Has any country just refused to pay a FIFA fine?

If so, what is the consequence?

Also, what would be the consequence if 3 Associations refused to pay?

While I'm asking questions, I assume their was not a single Poppy at Northern Irelands game v Azerbaijan either on the pitch or in the stands. 

J

3 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

While I'm asking questions, I assume their was not a single Poppy at Northern Irelands game v Azerbaijan either on the pitch or in the stands. 

J

The IFA are being investigated. 

Bizarrely this seems to be one particular issue that unites all the British and Irish FAs (IFA not FAI (who are also under investigation for their centenary embriodary)).

FIFA trying to raise the stakes and take shots at the FAs that they believe wield too much power in the game and should be one association? 

Or are they just standing by the letter of their own laws? I guess this isn't going to go away quietly, whatever you think about the Poppy.

J

55 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did the Spanish, French or Norwegians display poppies at their games.

I doubt if they wear a poppy in Spain, being neutral - it was more a 'Commonwealth' thing I believe -  Canada, USA, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia....?

In France they wear the blue cornflower -  "le bleuet"

If we do get punished by FIFA over poppies, should we threaten to boycott the World Cup Finals ??

or maybe, like there is in boxing, could the 4 home nations form a new World Football body? We could be straight into the semis !!

15 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Bizarrely this seems to be one particular issue that unites all the British and Irish FAs (IFA not FAI (who are also under investigation for their centenary embriodary)).

FIFA trying to raise the stakes and take shots at the FAs that they believe wield too much power in the game and should be one association? 

Or are they just standing by the letter of their own laws? I guess this isn't going to go away quietly, whatever you think about the Poppy.

J

Quite obviously it's the latter. 

The FA and SFA were told if they pressed ahead with it they'd be breaking the rules and would face punishment. I don't quite know why anyone would think anything different. 

37 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Quite obviously it's the latter. 

The FA and SFA were told if they pressed ahead with it they'd be breaking the rules and would face punishment. I don't quite know why anyone would think anything different. 

And the Welsh?

Guest BlueGaz
17 hours ago, Parklife said:

That's strict liability. Celtic got fined for fans flying Palestine flags. 

Why is every club in the UK (probably) not being investigated for fans wearing poppies in the stand, the week before?  Or is it only something that can't happen at an international game?

44 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Why is every club in the UK (probably) not being investigated for fans wearing poppies in the stand, the week before?  Or is it only something that can't happen at an international game?

If it was just that, i doubt there'd have been any investigation. It'll be more to do with poppy card displays in the stand, i'd have thought.