Whites v Blacks - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whites v Blacks

23 hours ago, stocky said:

3-2 to the'' blacks''..  really interesting programme..  how far we have come..  

I know

Would probably be 5 or 6 nothing today

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Really? Where are you getting that from? 

Welbeck

Walcott

Rose

Rashford

Dele Alli

Walker

Defoe

Sturridge

Sterling

Townsend

Oxlade Chamberlain

Smalling

Need i go on ?

Can't see it here either. We certainly have come a long way. Clyde Best for West Ham was the only black player I remember from early MotD watching. Before my time but Charlie Williams played 150+ times for Rovers in the '50s.

Edited by DonnyTJS

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Can't see it here either. We certainly have come a long way. Clyde Best for West Ham was the only black player I remember from early MotD watching. Before my time but Charlie Williams played 150+ times for Rovers in the '50s.

Never saw Charlie Williams play (obviously -_-) but saw him on stage when he was a comedian. He used to handle hecklers by threatening to move in next door to them if they didn't shut up.

Albert Johansson of Leeds was the first black footballer I saw play & remember being shocked by the monkey chants & bananas thrown.

I never thought I'd witness the same scenes in Scotland 20+ yrs later when Mark Walters suffered the same racial abuse on his debut & the game had to be stopped so the pitch could be cleared of bananas.

We have come a long way indeed.

5 minutes ago, Scotunited said:

The story about lawrie Cunningham was quite funny - 3 guys abuse him and wife in street, he confronts them, beats them up and one of the guys suddenly realises who it is that has beat them up and is star struck. 

Aye that was some story indeed.  What a player he was too.

Him and Kaz Deyna died in car crashes within a few weeks IIRC....

7 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Clyde Best always got the recognition of being the first black player in the original English first division but Ipswich Town had a guy called Johnny Miller who played the season before Best [68-69 season] , Miller was born and bred in Ipswich so can rightly be called the first English black player to play in the top flight.