Dual destination flights - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dual destination flights

Mitre

My parents are flying to Philippines tomorrow with Emirates. The flight stops first in Cebu then same plane goes onto Clark (their final destination).

Any idea if they will they need to exit the plane at the first destination (Cebu) then come back on? I checked the internet but it seemed to give conflicting accounts per airline. Anyone had any experience of this with any other airlines? A number of years ago I flew Beijing to Manila which stopped in Xiamen and I had to get off the plane and sit in a wee holding area before going back on after around an hour.

I've experienced it a couple of times with Emirates: Dubai > Addis Ababa > Luanda. We didn't have to get off the flight. I imagine it's partly down to the length of the stopover in the intermediate destination. Addis was maybe an hour or a bit less, cleaners came on board but just worked round us.

Edit: thinking about it, it may also depend on refuelling; I assume the plane must be emptied if refuelling is taking place. These days, I wouldn't have thought that was necessary with the fuel capacity of most modern airliners, and Emirates have a very modern fleet.

Edited by DonnyTJS

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

My parents are flying to Philippines tomorrow with Emirates. The flight stops first in Cebu then same plane goes onto Clark (their final destination).

Any idea if they will they need to exit the plane at the first destination (Cebu) then come back on? I checked the internet but it seemed to give conflicting accounts per airline. Anyone had any experience of this with any other airlines? A number of years ago I flew Beijing to Manila which stopped in Xiamen and I had to get off the plane and sit in a wee holding area before going back on after around an hour.

It really depends

Glasgow - Toronto - stopover in Halifax - we had to get off the plane and recheck in our bags

Cape Town to Singapore - stopover in Johannesburg - we stayed on the plane

Cape Town to Istanbul - stopover in Johannesburg - we stayed on the plane

Istanbul to Cape Town - stopever in Durban - I stayed on the plane

Johannesburg to Pointe Noire, Congo - stayed on plane somewhere i don't recall 

Luand to Windhoek on Saturday - stopover in Lubango - had to get off plane cos they wanted to refuel 

8 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Luand to Windhoek on Saturday - stopover in Lubango - had to get off plane cos they wanted to refuel 

Brilliant! You could probably drive a small car from Luanda to Lubango without having to refuel. As you suggest, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I don't think it's mandatory that the plane has to be empty while its refuelling, I've been on loads of flights that have still been refuelling while boarding.  All they say is not to put your seatbelt on - presumably - for a quick exit - while they're refuelling.  

I'm only guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are only dropping people off at Cebu and not boarding passengers, in which case it's almost certain you won't be able to get off the plane.  

You could probably check this by seeing if it's possible to buy a ticket from Cebu to Clark on that flight.

Alternatively, you could be really radical and ask Emirates.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Brilliant! You could probably drive a small car from Luanda to Lubango without having to refuel. As you suggest, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Lubango surprisingly looked quite nice - only plane on the airport like - i was expecting the usual of just sitting on plane - but got kicked off for 15 mins 

Lubango scenery reminded me more of Namibia

Driving Cape Town to Windhoek in 2 weeks time which is 1500 km 1 way - did this in March also - I of the Irish guys at work drove 2 weeks in his Defender to get from Cape Town to Luanda  

For the Georgia game on the way home I did Tbilisi-Baku-Doha with Qatar Airlines.

The stop in Baku was just a footnote on the booking, but we were there for a good hour at least as people got off the plane who were stopping in Baku, while everyone going to Doha had to stay on the flight (it was pretty boring as they turned off all the entertainment facilities).

We flew from Manchester to Rome with Veuling and our flight was over an hour late which left us with a mad dash and sprint to get off, clear passport control and go through security again to go to the furthest away boarding gate only to find it was the same plane we were boarding to go onwards to Malta. Very infuriating. All that happened was that there had been a change of cabin crew. The cabin crew on the initial flight knew a number of us had to make a connecting flight yet not one of them cracked a light.  

4 minutes ago, Exglasgowasc said:

We flew from Manchester to Rome with Veuling and our flight was over an hour late which left us with a mad dash and sprint to get off, clear passport control and go through security again to go to the furthest away boarding gate only to find it was the same plane we were boarding to go onwards to Malta. Very infuriating. All that happened was that there had been a change of cabin crew. The cabin crew on the initial flight knew a number of us had to make a connecting flight yet not one of them cracked a light.  

You also used the airport to enter the schengin zone.

15 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Not the same plane, but when we played in Bari we flew on Alitalia from Heathrow to Rome.

We were on a late afternoon flight had been some sort of disruption so a lot of planes were delayed into and out of Rome and although we should've had a reasonable stopover at Fiumicino, we ended up landing just after our connecting flight to Bari was supposed to have taken off.   

I guess there were a dozen or so Scotland fans making the connection and we were met off the plane told to go to the gate but obviously had to go through immigration and security and leg it to the gate eventually getting there about half an hour after we landed.  As it was the last flight of the day to Bari, they'd held it for us.   Piled onto a bus and out to the airplane and boarded.  Our relief at getting the flight was only compounded by the sight of a load of other Scotland fans, including Flat Earth and Lamia looking seriously pissed off as they'd had to sit on the Tarmac for the best part of an hour waiting for us.   Made my night.