Email from SFA - DO NOT OPEN! - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Email from SFA - DO NOT OPEN!

killiesons

5 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I'm expecting answers from SSC - this suggests a data-breach/hack. If not, I'd like an explanation of how fraudsters managed to email all SSC members.

And non-members as I didn't renew last time but my details must still be on their database.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, yourname said:

Jesus Christ I actually clicked on it. Not enough coffee this morning and I was just on autopilot. Anyone know where I can obtain a good anti-malware/virus-scanning program?

Malwarebytes' scan only took a few minutes, which isnt normal, and didn't find the virus

I clicked on it as well on my phone...exactly the same, not enough coffee.

Haven't noticed any problems so far.  it downloaded but wouldn't open for some reason.  hopefully didn't get something.

will probably reboot my phone in case.

There is a duty of care for our data to be protected.  I haven't renewed but my data is still there as well.  I'm sure the SFAs contract will protect them from compensation however.

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If they've got our email addresses then how easy is it for them to also have a hold of our card details?

Is it anything to worry about? 

My concern also. 

They could have my name, DOB, address and card details. 

5 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I clicked on it as well on my phone...exactly the same, not enough coffee.

Haven't noticed any problems so far.  it downloaded but wouldn't open for some reason.  hopefully didn't get something.

will probably reboot my phone in case.

I'd be wary of thinking something didn't open. I'd recommend getting hold of a virus checker app immediately and running a full scan.

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I've just been into my SSC account and deleted my cards, address etc

Not to be alarmist, but it's a bit late for that. If there's been a data breach, whoever has access to the data will have a copy.

Needs to be a clear statement from SSC/SFA about what data has been breached.

Edited by Auld_Reekie

Just now, Parklife said:

My concern also. 

They could have my name, DOB, address and card details. 

I'd say that's unlikely.  It looks more like a straightforward email hack where an email account has been hacked or spoofed and they've got a hold of the email contacts.  That stuff happens all the time.

A couple of things make me think that's the case.  Firstly, some people are reporting that they are getting it from the "Scotland Supporters Club" and from "Scotland National Team" and people are reporting getting it sent to personal and work email addresses.

More importantly, if the SSC membership database been hacked, then that would include your personal details, and so you expect them to include things like your name and address in the email to make it look more authentic.

12 minutes ago, fringo said:

And non-members as I didn't renew last time but my details must still be on their database.

It seems that the Data protection act 2003 doesn't count in Mount Florida.. Whoever their data controller is has a wee bit explaining to do.. 

4 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Needs to be a clear statement from SSC/SFA about what data has been breached.

I wouldnt hold your breath

The silence has been deafening since the England game

They might be afraid they get asked something non email related

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

Its a shit state of affairs but unfortunately common experience among organisations bigger and with more £ than the SFA.

BT, Paypal and Ebay used to be really bad for it (and "their" email would have a lot more personal feel to it that would lure you in)

Edited by wanderer

31 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

It seems that the Data protection act 2003 doesn't count in Mount Florida.. Whoever their data controller is has a wee bit explaining to do.. 

If people clicked the box about receiving marketing mails when the last renewed then non-renewal would not have stopped this unless explicitly told to so the details would remain in the system. Fairly certain that will be their explanation.

Edited by theweestevie

14 minutes ago, wanderer said:

BT, Paypal and Ebay used to be really bad for it (and "their" email would have a lot more personal feel to it that would lure you in)

Those ones from big global companies are more likely scammers harvesting email addresses and then guessing that people will have accounts with eBay, Paypal or whoever as they are popular companies rather than it being as a result of a data breach per se.   They send out 1000 emails, 100 of them may be to people that have a PayPal account and if 1 out of that 100 follows up on it then they are quids in.

I get loads of spam email purporting to be from various accounts I've never had any dealings with in my life.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

I get loads of spam email purporting to be from various accounts I've never had any dealings with in my life.

Yeah I have tried to use that excuse to when my wife unexpectedly sees my inbox.

Guest BlueGaz
19 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

I got this email as well..........opened the bloody thing ...but never opened the link though...hopefully be okay

No issues looking at the emails - its the links/attachments that can be the problem.

Got two emails asking for £170 each. I would have expected by now an official email from the SSC to all members acknowledging their security breach plus a warning not to open the link. I would expect there are many members unaware of this thread and will innocently open the link. An apology would also be appreciated and an note of the extent of the security breach.

Guest MorayCupMan
17 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

No issues looking at the emails - its the links/attachments that can be the problem.

arite...cheers for that....Im fairly thick regarding this kinda stuff..