Getting to St. Petersburg, Flights from Scotland - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Getting to St. Petersburg, Flights from Scotland

bellrock

Does anyone have any advice on how to get to St Petersburg From Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Had a look but it seems there are long flight times to SB and Moscow,

Thought about Estonia then a train trip to SB but all just a bit too confusing.

Plan on visiting both Moscow and  St. Petersburg round about May/June time for a week.

Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

SAS, KLM or Lufthansa probably the best (and most easiest) options from Scotland (can do BA, but involves a night in London).... AirBaltic from Riga also a option.

Relationships between Tallinn and St Petersburg seem to have soured over recent years, and suddenly bus seems to only option (given their distance apart, you would think train would be the best option, but this has been phased out over recent years to the point its a very small skeleton service between the two).

Helsinki to St Petersburg is suppose to be very easy and straight forward to do by train.

Edited by wanderer

I was actually looking at St Petersburg the other day, can fly BA if you dont mind a very quick transfer in London.

British Airways
BA1435

06:50 EDI Edinburgh   1h 35
08:25 LHR London Heathrow  
    Connect in airport   1h 05
British Airways
BA878

09:30 LHR London Heathrow   3h 15
15:45 LED St Petersburg Pulkovo  
Arrives: Thu, 2 Feb 2017Journey duration: 5h 55
Edited by kumnio

On 12/5/2016 at 1:52 PM, bellrock said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to get to St Petersburg From Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Had a look but it seems there are long flight times to SB and Moscow,

Thought about Estonia then a train trip to SB but all just a bit too confusing.

Plan on visiting both Moscow and  St. Petersburg round about May/June time for a week.

Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

Couple of the flights suggestions that the other guys have said may be the most straightforward options.

As Wanderer said - the train between St.Petersburg and Helsinki is also easily done but I'm not sure if there's direct flights back from Helsinki to GLA or EDI. We went a step further from Helsinki to Tallinn and then back from there. 

I've booked up for the Confederations Cup in Russia in June. Flying Glasgow-Paris-St Petersburg and returning St Petersburg-Amsterdam-Glasgow. Price could have been under £200 return, but I've opted for the 11:15 from Glasgow and 17:30 from St Petersburg, allowing me to stay in bed a little bit longer at both ends. Just over £250.

Train from St Petersburg to Moscow takes 3 hours 55 minutes. I've ordered tickets for 8 matches. Final is in St Petersburg. 

As well as the matches in St Petersburg and Moscow, I'm going to a semi-final in Kazan. Totally binning Sochi, the fourth venue.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for help and advice.

I Have booked flights, Glasgow to SPB via Schiphol staying for 4 nights then train to Moscow for 2 nights Fly back to Glasgow Via schiphol

KLM both ways

£500 all in for 2 people.

Best I could do,  (Roll on May) :-)

Have to say getting Visa's is not that straight forward though.

Just had all tickets confirmed, but a change of plan for transport between the cities. St Petersburg - Moscow - St Petersburg £90 by air. St Petersburg - Moscow - Kazan - St Petersburg £190 by air. The fast trains were too expensive.