Basel - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Basel

Tartan_Don

7 hours ago, Tartan_Don said:

Heading over fir the Christmas market..any other recommendations fir the city ?

Cheers

Take loads of cash, been a couple of times but not for a few years.  It was expensive enough back then, God knows what it'll be like the way the pound is now.

TBH, it's nice enough but pretty unremarkable.  The only thing that I really remember is there is a fantastic old traditional restaurant in the main SNCF train station. 

I live one hour from Basel. I agree that it would be better to go to Freiburg. Nice town, nice market Christmas, not too big so you can make the most of it by walking. Colmar in France is wonderful too.

Edit: What's the problem with Rothaus beer? It's not that bad!!!

Edited by McVinceSCT

5 hours ago, McVinceSCT said:

I live one hour from Basel. I agree that it would be better to go to Freiburg. Nice town, nice market Christmas, not too big so you can make the most of it by walking. Colmar in France is wonderful too.

Edit: What's the problem with Rothaus beer? It's not that bad!!!

It is dreadful. Acres of brilliant stuff then that pisswasser.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers lads, have tae agree on Basel itself....pretty average. Nice enough and nae a bad wee Christmas market. 

The bars and restaurants are visually really nice but the food in the places I ate let it doon especially considering the price.

Drink was awright, nae too pricey compared tae Londonshire...dinae think a tried the pilsner that got mentioned earlier 

Took a day trip through tae Frieburg, very nice. Quality couple a beer houses, names escape me the now. 

Enjoyable time but a lot nicer places tae visit