Four minutes and IRA songs - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Four minutes and IRA songs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jersey Jim said:

Why is that relevant? 

Because given the amount of sh*te dragged up about Rangers over the years of this board's existence on here one would have though something like this would be a frequent point of reference. I'd honestly never heard anything about this until a few days ago.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Can you provide evidence he didn't ?

That not really how this works is it?

You make a claim, then you back it up.

Unless you dont want to be taken seriously- which I kinda' get the impression might be the case with you.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some people don't like their folk heroes being questioned. Cooper wasn't a very nice human being. 

Could tell you a few stories from my personal experience about that human filth John Brown too.

The offer is open, provide some evidence to substantiate your claims about Cooper.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some people don't like their folk heroes being questioned. Cooper wasn't a very nice human being.

Nice attempted deflection to John Brown

On Cooper, Ive never met the guy, so I've no idea what he was like. I;m too young to have ever seen him play.

Now, tell me how  good ole' Davie was actually a nasty piece of work?

14 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Nice attempted deflection to John Brown

On Cooper, Ive never met the guy, so I've no idea what he was like. I;m too young to have ever seen him play.

Now, tell me how  good ole' Davie was actually a nasty piece of work?

Ersatz, where have you gone :lol:

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Because given the amount of sh*te dragged up about Rangers over the years of this board's existence on here one would have though something like this would be a frequent point of reference. I'd honestly never heard anything about this until a few days ago.

In all honesty Larky I've certainly considered raising it in the past on here when Cooper has been mentioned but a combination of not feeling like it was in the context of the thread and genuinely just thinking it was a horrible subject to discuss, has prevented me doing so.

i only mentioned it on this thread because someone brought it up and Cooper's personality was being debated. 

Edited by Marky

56 minutes ago, Marky said:

In all honesty Larky I've certainly considered raising it in the past on here when Cooper has been mentioned but a combination of not feeling like it was in the context of the thread and genuinely just thinking it was a horrible subject to discuss, has prevented me doing so.

i only mentioned it on this thread because someone brought it up and Cooper's personality was being debated. 

Are you Jersey Jim in disguise?

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Are you Jersey Jim in disguise?

No I'm not, but we're both Buddies of the same age and were both diehards at the time, so it's hardly amazing that we recollect the event in the same way. 

Especiallly seeing as what we have said is exactly what happened. 

1 minute ago, Marky said:

No I'm not, but we're both Buddies of the same age and were both diehards at the time, so it's hardly amazing that we recollect the event in the same way. 

Especiallly seeing as what we have said is exactly what happened. 

Really ? - a quick google on Cooper Fitzpatrick will give you several messageboard hits that have inputs from several St Mirren fans who remember things differently

The allegation would appear to have started from an anonymous poster on some site who said the story was told to him by Fitzpatrick's brother and it has grown arms and legs from that

First eyewitness

Fitzy came on as a sub and Cooper approached him off the ball and mocked the death of his son, in a way that I shall not repeat. Fitzy of course lost the plot and went for Cooper, resulting in him getting sent off...dragged off the pitch in tears whilst Cooper stood smiling.

Second eyewitness

It's funny I recall the incident at the time been described as a 'flashpoint' in the match report but never actually witnessed the footage. The nature of Tony's reaction tells you all you need to know, I was told. I think Tony thought Cooper was going to say a few respectful words and then to be hit with that must of been utterly surreal. It's crazy to think why the Referee and media didn't question the fact Cooper clearly provoked him

Third eyewitness

I was at the game in question. Rangers fans certainly sung some extremely distasteful songs that night about Fitzys son. I've no idea what, if anything, Cooper said to Fitzpatrick but Cooper certainly did go out that night to wind Fitzy up. Fitzy landed up being sent off and he had to be dragged off the park by Eric Sorensson

Fourth Eyewitness

My memory isn't what it used to be but I think I remember seeing TF losing it completely against Rangers around the time his lad was seriously ill. Fitzy (as I recall it) just started running after Derek Johnstone for no apparent reason, chasing him around the parrk with the ball nowhere near them. I don't think his son's illness was public knowledge at that time. He was red-carded and we awaited a mega-suspension, but the incident seems to have been brushed under the carpet when Tony's circumstances came to light and no further charges were ever brought against Fitzy.

Fifth Eyewitness

I think it was just after his sons death and in the back of my mind I recall Cooper with his arm round Tony after he had been sent off. A referee that I met at a dinner some time after told me that the offence had been dealt with compassionately by the SFA and that several players from both sides had contacted them and that RFC had asked for leniency. Whether anything had been said to spark Tony off is just idle gossip I think.

Sixth Eyewitness

The sending off apart the match was just the same kind of meaty battle that games between the two clubs had become. As a partisan 12 year old I believed Cooper dived to get Fitzy sent off and it was that which provoked the over the top response from Fitzy. There could be something that was said but I don't think we'll ever know or find out.

Seventh Eyewitness

Rangers fans were singing songs about Fitzpatricks son, who it was wall known was seriously ill at the time, Cooper went over and started speaking in Fitzpatricks ear every time they started singing it, and eventually Fitzpatrick just about broke him in a tackle before going crazy at him afterwards, but its never been made public what he was saying

Some of those eyewtitness statements back up what Marky and JJ said though. The first 4 do, the 4th misremembers Derek Johnstone as Davie Cooper as we know from the match report he got sent off for an off the ball incident with Cooper. Only the fifth eyewitness is a naysayer really

Your second "eyewitness" also makes this statement: " It's funny I recall the incident at the time been described as a 'flashpoint' in the match report but never actually witnessed the footage."