Four minutes and IRA songs - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Four minutes and IRA songs

Doubt Cooper would have got all the TV gigs / working with kids etc if there was any doubt regarding his character or his alleged incident with Fitzpatrick.

Maybe it's all a massive Masonic conspiracy.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Mitre said:

Doubt Cooper would have got all the TV gigs / working with kids etc if there was any doubt regarding his character or his alleged incident with Fitzpatrick.

Maybe it's all a massive Masonic conspiracy.

What a ridiculous train of thought. Yeah, no one of questionable character in the past has gotten TV gigs. :lol: 

Paedos and all sorts have been on TV for years and working with kids. 

I have no knowledge of this alleged incident with Cooper but your logic is nonsensical. 

My uncle was very friendly with Cooper. I think it's fair to say he was a merciless wind up merchant on and off the pitch. I have no idea whether he was a bigot or not but given some of the company he was fond of keeping let's just say, I wouldn't be surprised.

8 hours ago, phart said:

the 4th misremembers Derek Johnstone as Davie Cooper as we know from the match report he got sent off for an off the ball incident with Cooper.

Really Phart ?

You know for sure he got the two of them mixed up in a thread full of unsureness ?

I expect better from you :(

14 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

I was at the aforementioned St Mirren v Rangers game, Fitzpatrick went absolutely mental and had to be dragged off the pitch after being sent off as he tried to get to Cooper, as Marky pointed out this was massively out of character for him, TF was a true gentleman.

He was  subjected during the game to constant songs from the Rangers supporters about the death of his young son from leukemia, utter utter scum, in my opinion he eventually lost the plot as a result of this, he probably shouldn't have played as his sons funeral was only the week before.

it all happened in front of the dug out and many St Mirren fans in the enclosure allegedly heard what Cooper had said to him, 

There is no TV coverage of this as Sportscene/Scotsport in those days only showed highlights of one game every week, these were the days before the Internet and I know that several Saints fans phoned in the Daily Record hotline to complain about Cooper but they never printed any of the calls, absolute Old Firm bias IMHO.

Tony Fitzpatrick is probably St Mirrens greatest player in their history, he has never spoken of this incident, he actually wrote some children's books dedicated to his son, but always declined offers to write an autobiography, many Saints fans believe he never wrote one as it was inevitable he would have to have wrote about the Cooper incident. 

Cooper in my opinion was an utterly despicable individual. 

I was at a St Mirren game years ago where the fans made hissing noises to mock the death of Norrie McCathie who had recently died from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Suppose that makes them utter, utter scum too.

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I was at a St Mirren game years ago where the fans made hissing noises to mock the death of Norrie McCathie who had recently died from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Suppose that makes them utter, utter scum too.

I think you're being a bit oversensitive here. He's clearly referring to the Rangers fans who were carrying out those actions, not all Rangers fans. :lol: 

There's no moral high ground for any fans, we all have our idiots.

Sorry, but Cooper just wasn't a nice guy. He was a gambler, loved his horses. Like most guys I know like that he was a bit of a loner. Maybe it was his default position to be horrible to folk to push them away, I don't know. Team mates like McCoist and Durrant probably thought it was all just great banter but he really he was just a miserable git!

It doesn't detract from his ability as a player. He scored one of the best free kicks I've ever seen against Hibs in a league cup quarter final. Don't ask me what I was doing there, we used to do that then.....just go to a game if your own team weren't playing.

At the end of the day Henrik Larsson was and still is a crashing bore. His book was the biggest yawnfest I've ever read......still love him to bits though! ?

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

It doesn't detract from his ability as a player. He scored one of the best free kicks I've ever seen against Hibs in a league cup quarter final. Don't ask me what I was doing there, we used to do that then.....just go to a game if your own team weren't playing.

It was the second leg of the 85-86 semi-final. I did exactly what you did, went to the game because it was on and affordable to do so (unlike today).

And I agree with you about that free-kick. It knocks the one against Aberdeen into a cocked hat.

• Mod11 locked this topic

Threads like this do some of the people who post in them no favours.

Nor the board.

Well, it appears that the Moderating and Admin on here has been receiving some criticism. The Big Bosses have decided that we'll all be double rostered for a while. Thanks for that.

With apologies to the more civil posters - thread locked.