Billy Gilmour - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Hercules Rockefeller

20 minutes ago, Doric said:

Worrying thing is Will we ever again ?

I know, that's what is quite scary.

Other small countries seem to still produce occasionally world class players and some good international teams over recent decades but we haven't.

We've got worse and others have kept improving.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Googled Calvin Miller and got this

Celtic’s Calvin Miller: Named best young player in the world
0 Posted by Joseph Ruddy - 16/10/2013 - The Journal

God we're good at this

That was an award given to him, not from our journalists! It was after an under 16 tournament.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Erm. We've never done that.

Erm.. I beg to differ.

For a start Kenny Dalglish and Danny McGrain at their peak were both world class. McGrain was arguably the best full back in the world at one point.

I'm sure we could name plenty others too.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Erm.. I beg to differ.

For a start Kenny Dalglish and Danny McGrain at their peak were both world class. McGrain was arguably the best full back in the world at one point.

I'm sure we could name plenty others too.

Denis Law, Alan Hansen (for club rather than country), Dave Mackay, Jim Baxter, Alan Morton, Jimmy McGrory and Gary Teale, 

Watched a few games of his in the recent youth tournament, he does look like a good player. Very comfortable on the ball, good movement, quick in what he does. Looks like he'll have a promising future.

But Chelsea... Chelsea is where talented youngsters go to die. As talented a Gilmour is, the liked of Chalobah and Loftus-Cheek have barely passed the hour mark for premier league minutes combined this season. Anyone can see that you don't go to Chelsea to play football.

I guess it's the safe option tho. If you go to Chelsea you're guaranteed a decent wage for the next 5 years or so. If you don't you'll earn a lot less and hope that you can get a good move later and make a comfortable living. Gilmour has the attributed to go on to better things, but it's still a gamble.

Make your money playing youth football and probably never make it.
or
Work hard to make it and hope you do so you can make your money.

I don't envy the kids who have to make that choice, it feels like a bit of a no win.

On 12/15/2016 at 2:12 PM, Rossy said:

This must be the annual ...'the old firm have a wonderkid 14 year old and he'll be brilliant for Scotland in the future'....thread.

We've had these twice a year on here since 1999 and the best the OF have produced is Danny Wilson and James Forrest.

Part of the problem in Scottish football is that nobody has a clue what a good footballer is.

So is it annual or bi-annual?! :blink: