Top Scots going homeless - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top Scots going homeless

7 hours ago, hunchy said:

Yup sounds the same as with addicts you can't force someone to give up an addiction only to help them see a better way of dealing with why there addicted and giving the help and support for when they decide to give up.

My partner been enjoying this thread and is glad to see someone outside of her work who understands the job she does. Most folk don't understand how hard the job can be or how rewarding so for that you have my thanks

You're welcome. My last year or so in the sector were miserable; nothing but closing down or reducing services & making redundancies so it's nice to know people are still committed to working & trying to make lives better. I suspect as ever things will turn around somewhere along the line! Usually it happens when some tragedy occurs somewhere.

I was thinking further about the non-engagement issue as well. I had started encouraging services to switch to what we called Asset-based support in recent years (you might come across a similar thing in community work; ABCD is Asset-based community development). Many models (including TIC) are what we call deficit-based; they start with a person's problems & try to solve them. That's not wrong per se, but ABS is all about talking to individuals about their strengths right from the off. Your average street drug user actually has to show quite remarkable skill to find a supply, stay out of trouble, get money, get somewhere to sleep, avoid violence, cut & sell drugs, etc., etc., so Asset-based support encourages the worker to draw out the person's skills and strengths and apply them in more constructive directions. It also look at their interests and aspirations (even long-forgotten ones) to support engagement. In fact, I'll tell you one time about our football project which drew on precisely that approach. Yet another major breach of everything I ever believed in was when I used to have to go to meetings & compliment Leeds United. I still feel dirty for doing it.

As with everything it's not a magic bullet though, but you're welcome to message me offline if there's ever anything I can help with, albeit I'm nearly a year out of the sector now & it always did move quickly.

On 16 December 2016 at 8:03 PM, hunchy said:

One of the troubles is there are far to many homeless who think they should get it all for nothing. There priority's when they get money are to get the things they want and screw the bills. This means that those who wish have genuinely fallen on hard times and are trying to get back on there feet end up tarred with the same brush. 

I would say there are good and bad in all walks of life and so of course there will be some bad within this category but I think people's views can be distorted by the bad because these experiences are more likely to stick. I also think that often people just see the result and not the reason. They see the behaviour but don't actually look deep enough into the cause and so don't actually find the genuine reason.

On 18 December 2016 at 4:17 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

IMO they should be left to set themselves back up seen as how society handed it to them on a plate for the duration of there custodial sentence

I always love seeing this attitude because I am pretty sure those expressing it wouldn't think it was so cushy if they ended up in prison. If it is so marvellous surely we would all be queuing out the door to get in.

It also appears that you want those released from prison to fail and end up back there costing us all more money and experiencing more crime. Why on earth would you want to do that even if you do want to just take the selfish point of view?

Edited by Lamia

If i didn't have a family, estranged from my girlfriend, and lost my job; I'd be relying on friends, what if i didn't have many...or mental health meant you'd pushed them away..

Where do you go?  Can the council sort you out with social housing?  I genuinely don't know how it works.  From what i hear it doesn't work very well.  The fact there are still places like the Bellgrove Hilton is a stain on both Glasgow City Council and Scottish Government.

There has to be a line by which noone can fall below.  Basic af, but clean and safe.

On topic, still don't see why the government don't just build these homes in Edinburgh if they're widely regarded as needed?

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

I always love seeing this attitude because I am pretty sure those expressing it wouldn't think it was so cushy if they ended up in prison. If it is so marvellous surely we would all be queuing out the door to get in.

It also appears that you want those released from prison to fail and end up back there costing us all more money and experiencing more crime. Why on earth would you want to do that even if you do want to just take the selfish point of view?

Totally agree.  I have a close relative who has been a victim of unprovoked assault.  Hate the guy who did it but end of the day they have to change their lives round for the best of society.  There has to be punishment first (this guy had a record as long as your arm) but an opportunity when they leave.  Some employers wouldn't touch a person with a criminal record (understandably) I'd recommend some kind of incentive scheme to combat it.  Otherwise, it's a vicious circle.