Glasgow - where to live - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - where to live

Alrighty?

Might be moving back to Scotland next year, to Glasgow - a place that I don't know very well at all (other than Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox, and I don't want to live in any of those places!)

What areas would  people recommend that we look at for buying a house?

Folk have told me that the South side and West End are nicest - but what particular areas?

I think ideally we'd be looking for somewhere that's not in the City Centre, but good transport links into it, or near some nice bars, restaurants etc and parks and decent schools

Any advice much appreciated, planning on going up next week for a look around, so any advice on what areas to look at would be a big help,

Thanks

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Maq said:

Alrighty?

Might be moving back to Scotland next year, to Glasgow - a place that I don't know very well at all (other than Hampden, Parkhead and Ibrox, and I don't want to live in any of those places!)

What areas would  people recommend that we look at for buying a house?

Folk have told me that the South side and West End are nicest - but what particular areas?

I think ideally we'd be looking for somewhere that's not in the City Centre, but good transport links into it, or near some nice bars, restaurants etc and parks and decent schools

Any advice much appreciated, planning on going up next week for a look around, so any advice on what areas to look at would be a big help,

Thanks

Obvious questions, what's your budget and what are you looking for?

Great town.  Moved here seventeen years ago having lived in the three East coast cities previously.  I wouldn't move back East again.  Lots of lively neighborhoods for tenement flat living.  Shawlands in the South.  Patrick in the West.  Dennistoun in the East. North Glasgow is uniformly grim.  You could go off piste in Tollcross, Govan or Anniesland and get more bang for your buck.  If you have the cash then plenty of suburbs with good schools in East Dunbartonshire or East Renfrewshire or live in the heart of the action in Finniestoun or the Merchant City.

12 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

Great town.  Moved here seventeen years ago having lived in the three East coast cities previously.  I wouldn't move back East again.  Lots of lively neighborhoods for tenement flat living.  Shawlands in the South.  Patrick in the West.  Dennistoun in the East. North Glasgow is uniformly grim.  You could go off piste in Tollcross, Govan or Anniesland and get more bang for your buck.  If you have the cash then plenty of suburbs with good schools in East Dunbartonshire or East Renfrewshire or live in the heart of the action in Finniestoun or the Merchant City.

I'm interested in what North Glasgow areas you are describing as "uniformly grim".  Genuine question.  Thanks.

I am amazed how expensive and madly popular Netwon Mearns is. Yeah sure that motorway makes it handy for commuting but FFS it is a social and cultural wasteland. Mad chunts paying a million quid for a box house in the middle of nowhere. It is like Bearsden... who the fhuck wants to live there.

Finnieston. But you have missed the boat.

I think the southside will be the next boom area. G41 & G42 are solid. Avoid Govanhill obviously.

Edited by thplinth

Giffnock is probably the best area for a family home on the Southside. 

Depending on your circumstances, Ralston or Oldhall have great connections into the city despite being in Renfrewshire.

It's an interesting anomaly that many of the best areas to live in greater Glasgow aren't actually part of the city...

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

I am amazed how expensive and madly popular Netwon Mearns is. Yeah sure that motorway makes it handy for commuting but FFS it is a social and cultural wasteland. Mad chunts paying a million quid for a box house in the middle of nowhere. 

Agree with you about the Mearns. I'm sure the motorway makes it much handier, the queues to get on it in the morning look horrendous.

It's interesting to nip into the Waitrose there and observe the clientele. It's hard to believe you're in the same country!

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

Finnieston. But you have missed the boat.

I think the southside will be the next boom area. G41 & G42 are solid. Avoid Govanhill obviously.

Finnieston has certainly boomed since the Hydro opened. My mate there was raging recently that his local had about doubled their bar prices.

I sold up in G41 about 10 years ago. It had certainly undergone a boom at that point. Wouldn't move back though, the on street parking is murder.

I'd suggest somewhere like Jordanhill or Scotstoun.  Lovely period houses in that neck of the woods as opposed to characterless new builds that are prevalent elsewhere and decent transport links.  Handy for both the City Centre and the West End and some decent schools if you are looking for that too.

I lived in Shawlands for a year or so, nice enough area. A friend of mine moved through about 15 years ago and has had a house in both Jordanhill and Scotstoun. He loves it there, now has a huge flat off the Great West Road. The West End/Byres Road as well obviously. Really does depend on budget and what you are after.