1993 - The Last Scottish Based Starting XI - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1993 - The Last Scottish Based Starting XI

ErsatzThistle

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, mcnpauls said:

John Collins was the best player in that side. The Levein of the mid 80s was on course to be one of our greatest defenders ever, but really bad injuries (in 86 and 87?) meant he was never the same again. Ferguson was not as good as legend would have it. Robertson was worthy of a good run in the Scotland team and with good service could have scored loads, but never got a sustained run. Boyd, of course, did have a long and pretty decent Scotland career, without being an all-time great.

The rest - good club men.

Ferguson was class and I'd chop a baw off to have his kind of quality when he was in his prime in our side today.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

A pointless, trivial, timewasting thread for Christmas.

Ever wondered when was the last time we put out a starting XI where all the players were signed to Scottish clubs ? Something we are, in all honesty, unlikely to see again.

Anyway, it would appear that this was it:

0-1 friendly defeat vs. Germany (managed by Vogts) at Ibrox on March 24th 1993.

Nicky Walker (Heart of Midlothian) 
Stephen Wright (Aberdeen)
Tom Boyd (Celtic) 
Craig Levein [c] (Heart of Midlothian)
Brian Irvine (Aberdeen) 
Alan McLaren (Heart of Midlothian) 
John Robertson (Heart of Midlothian) 
Dave Bowman (Dundee United)
Duncan Ferguson (Dundee United)
John Collins (Celtic)
Jim McInally (Dundee United)

Sub: 
Scott Booth (Aberdeen) for Wright (64)

With rose tinted glasses removed - was that a fairly decent team or otherwise ?

A fair reflection of Scottish football at the time or was the decline in quality already there to see ?

Which players from that side would you take for today's team ? 

Strachan would take all 11 of these players in today's team. He would then proceed to play the same system he plays now, lose the majority of qualifying games and then publicly complain that he just doesn't have the players and his happy clappers and old boys club pals will say that nobody could do a better job.

On 21/12/2016 at 8:05 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

A pointless, trivial, timewasting thread for Christmas.

Ever wondered when was the last time we put out a starting XI where all the players were signed to Scottish clubs ? Something we are, in all honesty, unlikely to see again.

Anyway, it would appear that this was it:

0-1 friendly defeat vs. Germany (managed by Vogts) at Ibrox on March 24th 1993.

Nicky Walker (Heart of Midlothian) 
Stephen Wright (Aberdeen)
Tom Boyd (Celtic) 
Craig Levein [c] (Heart of Midlothian)
Brian Irvine (Aberdeen) 
Alan McLaren (Heart of Midlothian) 
John Robertson (Heart of Midlothian) 
Dave Bowman (Dundee United)
Duncan Ferguson (Dundee United)
John Collins (Celtic)
Jim McInally (Dundee United)

Sub: 
Scott Booth (Aberdeen) for Wright (64)

With rose tinted glasses removed - was that a fairly decent team or otherwise ?

A fair reflection of Scottish football at the time or was the decline in quality already there to see ?

Which players from that side would you take for today's team ? 

At least 7. Marshall and Andy Robertson would get in that team. Not sure about any others. D Fletcher maybe.

16 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Ferguson was class and I'd chop a baw off to have his kind of quality when he was in his prime in our side today.

Would you play with just the one striker in that case?

On 10 January 2017 at 10:04 PM, mcnpauls said:

John Collins was the best player in that side. The Levein of the mid 80s was on course to be one of our greatest defenders ever, but really bad injuries (in 86 and 87?) meant he was never the same again. Ferguson was not as good as legend would have it. Robertson was worthy of a good run in the Scotland team and with good service could have scored loads, but never got a sustained run. Boyd, of course, did have a long and pretty decent Scotland career, without being an all-time great.

The rest - good club men.

Harsh on McLaren, I'd say the same about him as you did about Levein - which I agree with, BTW.   The job he did against Baggio when we drew 0-0 with Italy in 1992 was a textbook example of Craig Brown's "kill the King" tactic.   A real loss. 

I also think you are being unfair on Boyd as well but I guess it depends on how you define "a real Scotland great".  

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Harsh on McLaren, I'd say the same about him as you did about Levein - which I agree with, BTW.   The job he did against Baggio when we drew 0-0 with Italy in 1992 was a textbook example of Craig Brown's "kill the King" tactic.   A real loss. 

I also think you are being unfair on Boyd as well but I guess it depends on how you define "a real Scotland great".  

McLaren was a massive loss. I often wondered how Euro 96 would've turned out for us if he'd been available.

Broon tended to overdo it with his man-marking skills all the same, having him shadow Litmanen when we played Finland.  Finland FFS!

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Litmanen was better than any of our players so if he's eliminated, we win. McLaren could have been a great player.

Absolutely, and that's a big part of why we beat them home and away and qualified for Euro 96.

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I'd say Robertson was better than all three... maybe on a par with Naismith.  I don't rate Griffiths or Fletcher.

people forget how poor our current level is compared to the past

Robertson was part of a squad, played and scored against the top seeds in a group which qualified us for the top 8 sides in Europe

he didn't make finals squad only through injury

that's up there as best we've ever been

he also scored 200 odd league goals

if we had him today he would just be edged out of starting line up for on strike Chris Martin for height and defensive set piece reasons

On 13/01/2017 at 3:14 PM, daviebee said:

McLaren was a massive loss. I often wondered how Euro 96 would've turned out for us if he'd been available.

Broon tended to overdo it with his man-marking skills all the same, having him shadow Litmanen when we played Finland.  Finland FFS!

Is that the same Craig Brown whose team sat back and let Marc Wilmots dictate play at Hampden as Belgium came from 2 goals down with a man less?

4 hours ago, Que Sera Sera said:

Is that the same Craig Brown whose team sat back and let Marc Wilmots dictate play at Hampden as Belgium came from 2 goals down with a man less?

Barry ferguson had a great chance from close range to finish the game and make it 3-0.  We then seemed to collapse and defend deep... I don't think that was browns instruction

Edited by Malcolm

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 8:00 PM, Malcolm said:

Barry ferguson had a great chance from close range to finish the game and make it 3-0.  We then seemed to collapse and defend deep... I don't think that was browns instruction

It's the manager's job to give instructions. Wilmots actually sat very deep and dictated play, which just shows how negative we were, defending deep with a man more.

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon

Jack

Wilson

Souttar

Tierney

Forrest

Brown

Armstrong

Walker

Miller

Griffiths

Other options; Shinnie, Wallace, McGregor, Henderson, Clark etc etc...

Off the top of my head a possible Scottish XI while I am bored at work. Is that any worse than teams we put out at the moment!?

• 2 weeks later...