Spurs - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Aye me neither til a pal who supports them told me what was happening. I just assumed stadium was getting redone not that they were only keeping one end and building away.

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Aye me neither til a pal who supports them told me what was happening. I just assumed stadium was getting redone not that they were only keeping one end and building away.

Aye looks like they will build two thirds of it and then knock down the old one and finish that side. Interesting way to do it. 

What are Spurs thinking. This cannot be done. You have to sell your city centre site and move out he middle of nowhere. Everyone knows that is the only way to replace an old stadium. Clearly not having a construction guy as owner has hurt them and they have made a horrible mistake here. How foolish.

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What are Spurs thinking. This cannot be done. You have to sell your city centre site and move out he middle of nowhere. Everyone knows that is the only way to replace an old stadium. Clearly not having a construction guy as owner has hurt them and they have made a horrible mistake here. How foolish.

:lol::ok: 

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

:lol: aye the obvious danger is they will lose atmosphere anyway  with the new stadium but staying in the same site is definite bonus.

The major problem in London is getting another suitable site to build on.   Arsenal got reasonably lucky with the Ashburton grove site being so close to Highbury.  After looking for suitable alternatives, Chelsea are planning to redevelop Stamford Bridge.  

On the other hand, if you're West Ham, you could get your Tory peer CEO to do a deal with the Tory government and her mate the Tory Mayor of London and get a new stadium for next to nothing courtesy of the taxpayer. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

The major problem in London is getting another suitable site to build on.   Arsenal got reasonably lucky with the Ashburton grove site being so close to Highbury.  After looking for suitable alternatives, Chelsea are planning to redevelop Stamford Bridge.  

On the other hand, if you're West Ham, you could get your Tory peer CEO to do a deal with the Tory government and her mate the Tory Mayor of London and get a new stadium for next to nothing courtesy of the taxpayer. 

hows that working out?

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

How's what working out?

11 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I presume he thinks you're an Arsenal fan.

I assume he's just saying that West Ham's move has worked out shitely so far anyway. 

I'm not sure about the Millenium as that was a brand new stadium...maybe Cardiff Arms Park? I know they've had problems with the pitch there for years (I used to work down the road from there when it was the national stadium & locals used to moan about it).

Bournemouth definitely rotated their pitch. The old Dean Court ground was demolished & rebuilt on the same site, but sideways to where it had been. I've not been there for maybe 3 or 4 years, but last time I went they still had one end of the ground unused.

The North Stand at the Millennium is the original from Cardiff Arms Park (that us the one that breaks up the bowl with only 2 decks, rather than 3).

Been plans to redevelop it for years, but apparently to complete it to match the rest of the stadium is only going to add a extra 1000-2000 seats, so no point.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

The North Stand at the Millennium is the original from Cardiff Arms Park (that us the one that breaks up the bowl with only 2 decks, rather than 3).

Been plans to redevelop it for years, but apparently to complete it to match the rest of the stadium is only going to add a extra 1000-2000 seats, so no point.

This. I did the tour over the Summer and asked the question as I'd been in that stand numerous times watching Scotland and wondered the same thing. The tour guide said exactly that. Massive cost for a couple of thousand seats just isn't worth in. And unlike football stadiums there is no natural break in use. It's used for concerts, monster truck shows, speedway, etc. A truly multi use venue, in the centre of a Capital city. IMHO it's the blueprint for redeveloping stadiums. 

J

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

The other issue is that the fabric of the north stand is also an integral part of the south stand at the Arms Park, so to demolish that and rebuild would also mean taking down the adjoining stand at the Arms Park.

22 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Did Athletic Bilbao not build their new stadium in a similar fashion? 3/4 of the new stadium built around the existing one, then move into the new one, and finally demolish the old one to complete the new stadium?

Yup. Here it is during construction: 

rekonstrukce%20San%20Mames%2002.jpg

On 22/12/2016 at 11:01 AM, Huddersfield said:

Incidentally, where's DaveInLondon these days? Apart from, like, obviously in London. It'd be interesting to get a take from the locals on what they make of it.

If it's half as good as it looks it's going to be fantastic we just need to make sure we don't get relegated next year playing at Wembley !! On the plus side next year I will probably be able to afford to take my three boys to a spurs game at the same time for the first time !. That 17k stand looks fantastic and the fact they have planned for safe standing makes it even better.

Say what you want about Levy but it looks like he's going to pull this off with a young side actually playing some reasonable football all on long term contracts and the best bit about it is we get to laugh at West Ham playing football in the soulless mo-farah athletics bowl. ??

although I would say even I have started to feel a smidge of sympathy for them they really have ballsed it up. 

9 hours ago, Nobby said:

If it's half as good as it looks it's going to be fantastic we just need to make sure we don't get relegated next year playing at Wembley !! On the plus side next year I will probably be able to afford to take my three boys to a spurs game at the same time for the first time !. That 17k stand looks fantastic and the fact they have planned for safe standing makes it even better.

Say what you want about Levy but it looks like he's going to pull this off with a young side actually playing some reasonable football all on long term contracts and the best bit about it is we get to laugh at West Ham playing football in the soulless mo-farah athletics bowl. ??

although I would say even I have started to feel a smidge of sympathy for them they really have ballsed it up. 

Cheers Nobby. Spurs are one of only 4 or 5 league teams I've never seen play against Hudds., so it's a shame I never made it to the old ground. It's good to see somebody trying to create a proper football ground anyway. I definitely sympathise with West Ham as I've always had a soft spot for them (they were the first team I ever saw play Hudds back in 1972 & I used to live close to Upton Park). I don't think they will ever really be able to turn it into a 'home' ground.