Toulon Tournament - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Toulon Tournament

wanderer

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Reports this morning that Scotland have been invited to send a U20 squad to take part in next Summers Toulon Tournament in France for the first time in 20 years.

Good news. More games like these against good opposition can only aid development at age grade level.

6 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Anyone know why we stopped going?  Did they just stop inviting us?  I remember the team getting lots of praise one year, compared to Brazil in fact.  I also remember them getting leathered 5-0 by the USA!

Somebody told me the reason a few years ago, but can not remember what it was just now, but it was something really trivial (best bet money most likely) yet it resulted in us not being invited again.

Edited by wanderer

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Somebody told me the reason a few years ago, but can not remember what it was just now, but it was something really trivial (best bet money most likely) yet it resulted in us not being invited again.

Oh well... who needs invaluable international experience for their youngsters anyway...

Looks like we had a bunch of diddies in charge then as well!

7 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Oh well... who needs invaluable international experience for their youngsters anyway...

Looks like we had a bunch of diddies in charge then as well!

hahaha true.

The event is free of FIFA, and it costs something like £80,000 to enter it (its not uncommon for teams to pull out of it after accepting a invitation because of this).

On 22/12/2016 at 3:42 PM, wanderer said:

The last time we took part was 1997 and just before the tournament our u21s had a qualifier away to Belarus.  That meant that we sent a weak squad to Toulon. Apparently the orginisers were not impressed and we weren't asked back. ...until now. That is what I was told a few years back anyway.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:45 AM, tartanpar said:

The last time we took part was 1997 and just before the tournament our u21s had a qualifier away to Belarus.  That meant that we sent a weak squad to Toulon. Apparently the orginisers were not impressed and we weren't asked back. ...until now. That is what I was told a few years back anyway.

This time we will just send a weak squad because we're pish and it's the best we can do.

• 4 months later...

Squad just announced

Goalkeepers

Ross Doohan (Celtic)

Jack Ruddy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Defenders

Alex Iacovitti (Nottingham Forest)

Zak Jules (Reading, on loan to Motherwell)

Jamie McCart (Celtic, on loan to Inverness CT)

Ross McCrorie (Rangers)

Anthony Ralston (Celtic)

Greg Taylor (Kilmarnock)

Midfielders

Theo Archibald (Brentford)

Jordan Holsgrove (Reading)    

Kyle Magennis (St Mirren)

Aidan Nesbitt (Celtic)

Ruben Sammut (Chelsea)

Joe Thomson (Celtic)

Iain Wilson (Kilmarnock)

Forwards

Adam Frizzell (Kilmarnock)

Ryan Hardie (Rangers)

Greg Kiltie (Kilmarnock)

Craig Wighton (Dundee)

59 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Squad just announced

Goalkeepers

Ross Doohan (Celtic)

Jack Ruddy (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Defenders

Alex Iacovitti (Nottingham Forest)

Zak Jules (Reading, on loan to Motherwell)

Jamie McCart (Celtic, on loan to Inverness CT)

Ross McCrorie (Rangers)

Anthony Ralston (Celtic)

Greg Taylor (Kilmarnock)

Midfielders

Theo Archibald (Brentford)

Jordan Holsgrove (Reading)    

Kyle Magennis (St Mirren)

Aidan Nesbitt (Celtic)

Ruben Sammut (Chelsea)

Joe Thomson (Celtic)

Iain Wilson (Kilmarnock)

Forwards

Adam Frizzell (Kilmarnock)

Ryan Hardie (Rangers)

Greg Kiltie (Kilmarnock)

Craig Wighton (Dundee)

Looks like a really weak squad. 

Its effectively Scott Gemmills core youth squad from last 3/4 years.

Only real omissions I would say are the likes of McGhee, Cameron, Soutter, Wright and McBurnie (granted I think he turns 21 during the tournament).

This tournament is not FIFA sanctioned, so clubs are not obliged to release players for it, so probably explains a few players not there, but end of the day nobody is really missing out as that is what is only available at the moment (still a few good players there)

Edited by wanderer

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Who would you call up instead?

• Pretty shocking that Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs can muster a player between them given their super, dooper youth academies.

Who claimed Aberdeen have a "super, dooper youth academy"? 

1 hour ago, Stuart87 said:

Wouldn't call up anyone instead. Just think it looks really weak for a Scotland under 20 squad. 

Maybe but quite a few of them are playing regular first team football. I know from my own club the 4 players must have played the guts of 100 first team games this season combined, if not more.

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The clown I was arguing with (and proved him wrong) the other month when he said the bulk of the Youth Squads come from Old Firm, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

I see. Aberdeen don't even have proper training facilities, never mind a super, dooper academy. 

I thought you were just having a random dig at Aberdeen. Which you have been known to indulge in in the past ;):lol: 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The clown I was arguing with (and proved him wrong) the other month when he said the bulk of the Youth Squads come from Old Firm, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Ehh you're wrong.

i said young players from those teams would usually be the best in the country because they are the biggest clubs.

i don't think you've proved me wrong at all.

if anything you've just once again used any opportunity possible to talk about your precious Kilmarnock... 

39 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ehh you're wrong.

i said young players from those teams would usually be the best in the country because they are the biggest clubs.

i don't think you've proved me wrong at all.

if anything you've just once again used any opportunity possible to talk about your precious Kilmarnock... 

I wasn't even talking about you haha