Worst miss - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'll never forget Roy Essandoh's miss for Motherwell against Ipswich in Colin O'Neill's testimonial.

A long, mazy, powerful, skillful run in which he passed players like they weren't there against a side who had a few decent players in their ranks.  As the run is reaching its crescendo, with what could be one of the greatest goals ever seen at Fir Park, he calmly skinned the experienced Canadian International 'keeper Craig Forrest, took the ball in towards the empty net for a few more touches then proceeded to miss an open goal from about 3 yards.

2 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

I'll never forget Roy Essandoh's miss for Motherwell against Ipswich in Colin O'Neill's testimonial.

A long, mazy, powerful, skillful run in which he passed players like they weren't there against a side who had a few decent players in their ranks.  As the run is reaching its crescendo, with what could be one of the greatest goals ever seen at Fir Park, he calmly skinned the experienced Canadian International 'keeper Craig Forrest, took the ball in towards the empty net for a few more touches then proceeded to miss an open goal from about 3 yards.

Was that the game Psycho went round the track on a dirt bike?

:lol:

Would make a great thread, great misses.

For me, it would be David Clarkson in the 2003 Scottish cup semi. It wasn't the worst Miss in an Iwelumo sense, but Motherwell were 2-1 up approaching halftime and a ball from the right fell to Clarkson right in the middle of the goal 7 yards out with Klos in no mans land and he sliced his volley over the bar.

That would've put us 3-1 up and I think we would have seen it out from there and won a place in the final against Dundee.

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Would make a great thread, great misses.

For me, it would be David Clarkson in the 2003 Scottish cup semi. It wasn't the worst Miss in an Iwelumo sense, but Motherwell were 2-1 up approaching halftime and a ball from the right fell to Clarkson right in the middle of the goal 7 yards out with Klos in no mans land and he sliced his volley over the bar.

That would've put us 3-1 up and I think we would have seen it out from there and won a place in the final against Dundee.

Remember that well. Steven Thompson came on at half time and turned the game.

Who was the dirty big centre back that scored an OG that game? He was an animal. I also remember Leitch punching Craig Moore in head during a scuffle in that game.

David Partridge, by all accounts he was an angry man off the park too. Think he got a couple of Welsh caps.

I met him in the Hamilton Palace and he wasn't the friendliest of guys. Unlike his mate David Cowan (IIRC they had a house/flat with Dirk Lehman). Cowan was probably the friendliest footballer I've ever met, think he would have had a better career had he not had a horror leg break.