Motherwell - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Motherwell

I've joined the Well Society - fan ownership scheme - but remain really pessimistic about it all (I predicted we'll be part time in 5 years). Only 2000 members. I'm guessing here but imagine the average would £25 per month which gives us £600k per year. The former owner lost £1million in a year. So we are relying on selling players for £400k. Can't see that happening to honest. Hopefully I'm wrong and miles out with the figures. 

5 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

I've joined the Well Society - fan ownership scheme - but remain really pessimistic about it all (I predicted we'll be part time in 5 years). Only 2000 members. I'm guessing here but imagine the average would £25 per month which gives us £600k per year. The former owner lost £1million in a year. So we are relying on selling players for £400k. Can't see that happening to honest. Hopefully I'm wrong and miles out with the figures. 

Going to join too och aye.  I was a well supporter until about 12 then got taken as a kid to ibrox.  But love the well.  Worked at the college for 23 years and prob went to more games at fir park than ibrox.  But it's a feckin enigma of a support.  30000 at cup final then first home game get less than 5000.  I got my students, at wells request, to do a study on it.  Fecked if we ever got a conclusion.  After all the years I have my opinion.  Bigotry.  Buses leave every week from motherwell to ibrox and parkhead.  Simple!!  No need for the year long survey.  But I will pay money to join as well.  If you pardon the pun.

The Well society seems to be a bit of a shambles.

They've managed to alienate a lot of the folk that joined originally, poor comms, constant shifting of the goal posts and various PR disasters or missed opportunities.

They've changed things about so often, folk don't know if they're meant to be giving them money or not.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

A guy who stopped supporting Motherwell to go and support Rangers would be a good case study.

I know my pal.  One day I was getting takn to fir park to see peter marinello, joe wark and willie pettigrew.  Next I was taken to ibrox to see 65000 at ibrox in greigs testimonial.  Still feel guilty so dont make me any worse.  I only went where I was taken, thats my excuse.  But hated the bigotry mate.  Still love the well and of course Davie Cooper.  The tie that binds us :spin:

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The Well society seems to be a bit of a shambles.

They've managed to alienate a lot of the folk that joined originally, poor comms, constant shifting of the goal posts and various PR disasters or missed opportunities.

They've changed things about so often, folk don't know if they're meant to be giving them money or not.

Damn it. I was hoping for something optimistic from you! 

I looked into a one-off lifetime membership payment as a Christmas present for my wife, similar to what Rangers First do, however the website didn't seem to allow for such an option so I bought her other things instead. If this was possible, or at least clearer, it may bring more punters in.

Also, I know from my mate who is a local journalist, that the MFC press office have been especially unwelcoming towards the press since Burrows took over as CEO so maybe a charm offensive to get them back onside would help too.

On 30/12/2016 at 2:55 PM, Fermer said:

I know my pal.  One day I was getting takn to fir park to see peter marinello, joe wark and willie pettigrew.  Next I was taken to ibrox to see 65000 at ibrox in greigs testimonial.  Still feel guilty so dont make me any worse.  I only went where I was taken, thats my excuse.  But hated the bigotry mate.  Still love the well and of course Davie Cooper.  The tie that binds us :spin:

:rollsmile:

Aye, never any bigotry at Fir Park...

On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Regenmann said:

Fans' flute band no more :( ?

Eh ?

I can assure you both OF sides get a hot reception of fir park. 

Loved beating rangers 6-2 on aggregate in the play off. Helicopter sunday against the other half of the ugly sisters was also a fantastic day. 

Up the well.

Edited by Robroysboy
Typo

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

I looked into a one-off lifetime membership payment as a Christmas present for my wife, similar to what Rangers First do, however the website didn't seem to allow for such an option so I bought her other things instead. If this was possible, or at least clearer, it may bring more punters in.

Also, I know from my mate who is a local journalist, that the MFC press office have been especially unwelcoming towards the press since Burrows took over as CEO so maybe a charm offensive to get them back onside would help too.

Agree with this, think the club has went downhill since Burrows took over as CEO. crowds have dwindled and his appointment of McGhee who a lot of well fans cant stand and haven't went back because he was reappointed manager when most of the fans made there feelings clear they wouldn't welcome McGhee back. 

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, Och Aye said:

Agree with this also crowds are way down at Fir Park, use to be hard core of 4000 who went every week now just 3000.  Think we will be part time in another 5 years also.

41 minutes ago, Geed said:

Agree with this, think the club has went downhill since Burrows took over as CEO. crowds have dwindled and his appointment of McGhee who a lot of well fans cant stand and haven't went back because he was reappointed manager when most of the fans made there feelings clear they wouldn't welcome McGhee back. 

Agree with this also crowds are way down at Fir Park, use to be hard core of 4000 who went every week now just 3000.  Think we will be part time in another 5 years also.

I don't think the initial criticism was of Alan, in fact it was a backhanded compliment, that the media side of things has gone downhill since he moved upstairs.

I don't think any of the clubs problems are down to Alan either, crowds have been slowly dwindling for 20 years at most clubs the size of Motherwell.

As much as Mark McGhee isn't everyone's cup of tea, on the park we are in a much better state than we were when he came in. He took us from a relegation battle into the top 6 last season.

I think most Motherwell fans are willing to tolerate Mark McGhee because he is and has been a decent manager for us.

The whole blaming Alan Burrows for everything culture is a weird one. If he was some faceless suit, people would barely know his name, but because a lot of fans know him personally or know of him they seem to think he can't be up to the job. He must be one of the hardest working guys in Scottish football and you won't meet a bigger Motherwell fan.

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't think the initial criticism was of Alan, in fact it was a backhanded compliment, that the media side of things has gone downhill since he moved upstairs.

I don't think any of the clubs problems are down to Alan either, crowds have been slowly dwindling for 20 years at most clubs the size of Motherwell.

As much as Mark McGhee isn't everyone's cup of tea, on the park we are in a much better state than we were when he came in. He took us from a relegation battle into the top 6 last season.

I think most Motherwell fans are willing to tolerate Mark McGhee because he is and has been a decent manager for us.

The whole blaming Alan Burrows for everything culture is a weird one. If he was some faceless suit, people would barely know his name, but because a lot of fans know him personally or know of him they seem to think he can't be up to the job. He must be one of the hardest working guys in Scottish football and you won't meet a bigger Motherwell fan.

Not a fan of him, lost about a dozen season ticket holders by giving well fans jobs at fir park, that's money club could be doing with every season.  McGhee will jump ship first job that he is offered.  Anyway my opinion some folk agree with me some don't, but rather he wasn't there as manager and we had Leeanne Dempster still doing the job. 

15 minutes ago, Geed said:

Not a fan of him, lost about a dozen season ticket holders by giving well fans jobs at fir park, that's money club could be doing with every season.  McGhee will jump ship first job that he is offered.  Anyway my opinion some folk agree with me some don't, but rather he wasn't there as manager and we had Leeanne Dempster still doing the job. 

All about opinions, but I can't see how giving 'well fans jobs at the club is a bad thing, presuming they are qualified to do the job.

While Leanne Dempster talked a good game, I'm not convinced she was actually that good? One of these executive type folk that get short term results, then move on leaving a shambles for their successor to sort out.

A lot of the issues Motherwell have had since she left are arguably her legacy rather than issues because she left.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

All about opinions, but I can't see how giving 'well fans jobs at the club is a bad thing, presuming they are qualified to do the job.

While Leanne Dempster talked a good game, I'm not convinced she was actually that good? One of these executive type folk that get short term results, then move on leaving a shambles for their successor to sort out.

A lot of the issues Motherwell have had since she left are arguably her legacy rather than issues because she left.

But point being its done us out about dozen or so season ticket holders who aren't paying into games anymore as they are working at club and get to games for free now.

Each to their own opinion mate, but I am not the only fan who thinks this about him or McGhee and a lot folk wont return till McGhee is gone as well as wont forgive him for way he left us first time around.

Amazing some of the reasons guys have for not going to the football anymore.

I won't be back untill <s> McCall <\s> <s> Barraclough <\s> McGhee is gone. Could get somebody like Guardiola in and the miserable bastards still wouldn't come back.

Personally I think its an almost exciting time to be a motherwell fan with fan ownership and some decent prospects in the youth team.

I'll take the rose tinted specs off at somepoint.

Amazing some of the reasons guys have for not going to the football anymore.

I won't be back untill <del>McCall<\del> <s>Barraclough<\s> McGhee is gone. Could get somebody like Guardiola in and the miserable bastards still wouldn't come back.

Personally I think its an almost exciting time to be a motherwell fan with fan ownership and some decent prospects in the youth team.

I'll take the rose tinted specs off at somepoint.

Sod it can't get the strike though text to work

10 hours ago, Geed said:

But point being its done us out about dozen or so season ticket holders who aren't paying into games anymore as they are working at club and get to games for free now.

Each to their own opinion mate, but I am not the only fan who thinks this about him or McGhee and a lot folk wont return till McGhee is gone as well as wont forgive him for way he left us first time around.

I also understand that Burrow's somewhat partisan antics in the director's boxes at away games is considered unbecoming.

Edit: to say that I have nothing personal against Alan Burrows (I've never met him) and indeed my wife knows and likes him. My local journalist mate is very critical however, based on direct dealings.

Personally, appointing an unqualified fan as CEO seems to me to be a very brave move, but I genuinely hope it works out.

Edited by thewolf_1980

54 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Personally, appointing an unqualified fan as CEO seems to me to be a very brave move, but I genuinely hope it works out.

Not to be a pedant, but he is COO, which is probably more of a club secretary, general manager type role I think.

But how do you qualify to become a CEO of a football team anyway?

I am biased, as like your wife, I know and like him and want him to do well, so feel the scrutiny he is under is at times a bit unfair.

I don't remember anyone asking to see the CV of Leanne Dempster, and I couldn't even tell you who was in charge before that, nor did I really care.

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Not to be a pedant, but he is COO, which is probably more of a club secretary, general manager type role I think.

But how do you qualify to become a CEO of a football team anyway?

I am biased, as like your wife, I know and like him and want him to do well, so feel the scrutiny he is under is at times a bit unfair.

I don't remember anyone asking to see the CV of Leanne Dempster, and I couldn't even tell you who was in charge before that, nor did I really care.

He has basically gone from running a fans' message board to an elevated and important role in running a top tier football club in a challenging financial climate. I can't comment on his educational credentials but he certainly has a lack of experience in a job such as that. As I say, I have a real soft spot for Motherwell thanks to attending a number of matches with the wife over the last few years so I do hope he does well.

Edited by thewolf_1980

Yeah, it's not a gripe with you, more a general gripe with what I feel is the "I kent his faither" attitude, and to say he went from running a fans site to running the club is a bit disingenuous. He gave up the fan site 8 or 9 years ago when he started working at the club.