Arise Sir Andy... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Arise Sir Andy...

4 hours ago, exile said:

I must say I find it baffling that someone with the already hard-earned professional respect and no-nonsense gritty personal integrity of Andy Murray would finally succumb to a knighthood. 

Exactly. What a fvcking embarrassment. He's off of my Christmas card list now.

6 hours ago, exile said:

I must say I find it baffling that someone with the already hard-earned professional respect and no-nonsense gritty personal integrity of Andy Murray would finally succumb to a knighthood. 

I don't think "finally succumb" is the right phrase. You get "offered" it, and you either accept or you don't. If you decline first time round you don't get offered again. 

59 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If you decline first time round you don't get offered again. 

Pretty sure you can be. There was some older actor (name escapes me) who's now turned it down three or four times

Anyway, well done to Phil Scraton. 

Edited by Stapes

I don't begrudge anyone taking an honour, although we really need to be looking towards a more civic based system. Said it pretty much every time it comes round, why can't Scotland establish a civic honours system? 

2 hours ago, Stapes said:

Pretty sure you can be. There was some older actor (name escapes me) who's now turned it down three or four times

David Bowie allegedly knocked back a knighthood several times.

Andy had already accepted an OBE, so it's just another step up the ladder I suppose. Although that used to be a CBE. They've set their stall out in recent years by awarding knighthoods and damehoods willy nilly to sports people while they're still competing...

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think "finally succumb" is the right phrase. You get "offered" it, and you either accept or you don't. If you decline first time round you don't get offered again. 

I was just trying to be tactful. I thought that earlier he'd said (something like) he was too young for a knighthood, as if there had been soundings or as if he was pre-empting soundings, as if to say 'don't ask me yet, I don't know if I want it.'

No point in ranting about this - unless you want to create happy schadenfreude for others - it's his if he wants it. I was just baffled why he would want it.

It's not like, say, people in walks of life that normally go unrecoognised. He already had all the recognition and a solid gold world ranking, you could not be clearer than that. Yet he's content to muck in with a parochial pantomine cast of goodies and baddies, Ken Dodds and Tory donors.

For me, a knighthood is a ritual humiliation, imagine having to kow-tow to a fellow mammal.

1 minute ago, exile said:

For me, a knighthood is a ritual humiliation, imagine having to kow-tow to a fellow mammal.

Take it you aren't married then.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

David Bowie allegedly knocked back a knighthood several times.

Andy had already accepted an OBE, so it's just another step up the ladder I suppose. Although that used to be a CBE. They've set their stall out in recent years by awarding knighthoods and damehoods willy nilly to sports people while they're still competing...

Putting to one side whether or not there should be an honours system. I think the problem was that in the past British sportsmen and women weren't that great and Olympic gold medals, world championships, etc., were pretty few and far between. 

In 2004, when Kelly Holmes the 400m and 800m and they made her a Dame and set a precedent that two gold medals = a knighthood or dameship -or whatever being a dame meant.  That was a great achievement to be fair but they gave her the award while she was still competing.

The problem then was that UK athletes started getting good, especially in T&F and cycling and of course Andy Murray.

TBH, they should wait until a sportsman or woman retires as that is then the time to judge their career and whether or not they should be honoured.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Putting to one side whether or not there should be an honours system. I think the problem was that in the past British sportsmen and women weren't that great and Olympic gold medals, world championships, etc., were pretty few and far between. 

In 2004, when Kelly Holmes the 400m and 800m and they made her a Dame and set a precedent that two gold medals = a knighthood or dameship -or whatever being a dame meant.  That was a great achievement to be fair but they gave her the award while she was still competing.

The problem then was that UK athletes started getting good, especially in T&F and cycling and of course Andy Murray.

TBH, they should wait until a sportsman or woman retires as that is then the time to judge their career and whether or not they should be honoured.

Agree there. If the current "criteria" had been applied in the past, Billy McNeill and Jock Stein would've been knighted in 1967, Jackie Stewart would've got his 30 years earlier etc...

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Agree there. If the current "criteria" had been applied in the past, Billy McNeill and Jock Stein would've been knighted in 1967, Jackie Stewart would've got his 30 years earlier etc...

I remember reading that the reason Bobby Moore wasn't knighted in 1966 was because they thought it would be the first of many World Cup wins and so didn't want to set any precedents by knighting Bobby Moore - undoubtedly a huge amount of snobbery at that time as well