2017 running thread - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 running thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever suffered with patella tendonitis? I run mainly 10ks but fancied doing a marathon this year and have signed up for the Stirling one in May. Training was going great, managing 18 miles at 7 min/miles but the past month I've had pain in my left knee usually 5 miles into my runs. Pain disappears soon as i stop. Stupidly I've tried to run through it, doing some exercises to help it and appropriate massages etc, but it looks like I'm going to need to rest and at this stage will likely mean i cant do the marathon. Highly frustrating, feels like all my hard work during the winter months has gone to waste! 

Got the Garioch half this weekend and the London marathon next month.

Was meant to do London last year but had to defer so only really been getting back in to running properly since the start of the year after a shite 2016.

Noticed big improvement since January so just need to keep it up for all of 2017.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:53 PM, dezmondo said:

Anyone ever suffered with patella tendonitis? I run mainly 10ks but fancied doing a marathon this year and have signed up for the Stirling one in May. Training was going great, managing 18 miles at 7 min/miles but the past month I've had pain in my left knee usually 5 miles into my runs. Pain disappears soon as i stop. Stupidly I've tried to run through it, doing some exercises to help it and appropriate massages etc, but it looks like I'm going to need to rest and at this stage will likely mean i cant do the marathon. Highly frustrating, feels like all my hard work during the winter months has gone to waste! 

Sorry to hear that.  

Same thing has happened to me this season but with peroneal tendonitis.  It is rubbish just watching your hard earned fitness disappear but rest is the biggest healer for tendonitis I think, unfortunately.  But It sounds like you know what you are doing with the exercises and massage.  

Don't try to rush back too soon and run through the pain as you will just set yourself back further... I know because that is what I keep doing!

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

im looking for some help with a watch for running. I normally strap my phone to my arm for music and track distance etc but looking for a watch to do this. I've looked at the Apple Watch but probably a bit dear for my requirements. Does anyone know of another watch that can play Spotify and have a run tracker as well?

cheers

9 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Balmoral 10k for me tomorrow.

Just looking to go and enjoy it as I've been struggling mentally again over the last wee while, so a bit heavier than I'd like to be.

You'll have to run a PB to make KO at Hampden.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:57 AM, Stewart_Aberdeen said:

Got the Garioch half this weekend and the London marathon next month.

Was meant to do London last year but had to defer so only really been getting back in to running properly since the start of the year after a shite 2016.

Noticed big improvement since January so just need to keep it up for all of 2017.

How'd you get on in London?  I ended up having the race of my life on Sunday! Everything went to plan, 38 seconds between the first and second half of the race.

Did Playas del Pilar half last Sunday, little local event in a wee town in Murcia. Enjoyable, was one of only two non Spaniards out of a field of about 300. Tough going though, picked up another injury in February and didn't run much until mid March. Had a gentle plod for the Kilomathon in Edinburgh a couple of weeks back. Loch Leven half to come, once again hoping for a decent go at things without injury.

1 hour ago, in5omniac said:

How'd you get on in London?  I ended up having the race of my life on Sunday! Everything went to plan, 38 seconds between the first and second half of the race.

Sadly had to pull out for the second year in a row.

Went out for a run the morning of the Rangers game at Pittodrie and couldn't walk properly for a week and a half after that.

3rd time lucky?:(

21 hours ago, in5omniac said:

Anyone doing the Fling by the way?  I've got relay leg 3 on Saturday: Rowardennan - Beinglas.

Entered but had to withdraw due to injury.

That's a great leg - some nice wide tracks to start with before getting onto the narrow tracks with a fast finish, Enjoy!

23 hours ago, College_Boy said:

How did the Fling go?

Went really well thanks, our team was 10th overall in 8:28:24 (only 10 seconds behind 8th).  Loved my leg, was scenic and by no means easy terrain, I'll maybe do the full Fling one day.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Jon Cutler said:

Anyone do Stirling marathon? My  1st 1, thought the 1st half was quite tough.

I did.

Really struggled, although that was always going to happen due to non-existent training.

Shuttle buses from the town were a shambles and the less said about the laps at the end the better....

Just now, Jon Cutler said:

Managed to miss the shuttle bus fiasco, running past finish line twice wasn't pleasant. The in and out of the site of spectators and runners at single point was a shambles. Folk ended up clambering over the wall.

I was at the bus stop prior to the first bus turning up. First three to turn up were almost full, max of about 10 folk managed to get on them.

Thankfully they then sent two empty buses, which maybe got about half of us from the queue then collected.

Interesting 'offer' in the beer tent at the end...

Just now, Jon Cutler said:

I missed the beer tent, managed to grab a can from a spectator pal.

£4 for a pint, which I didn't think was too bad.

Gave the guy £20. He told me they had no £1 coins left, so he could either owe me a quid or I could get a can as well...

Tough decision...