2017 running thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 running thread

So, what does everyone have planned for the year ahead?

So far, I'm in for the following:

22nd Jan - Westhill Duathlon

25th Feb - National XC 

22nd Apr - Balmoral 10k

21st May - Stirling Scottish Marathon

27th Aug - Great Aberdeen Half Marathon

24th Sep - Loch Ness Marathon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Dublin half-marathon a few months ago (my first). Planning on doing the full marathon this year (also will be my first).

Haven't gone for a run in about 3 weeks though. Feeling very lazy/fat!

Still running three times a week but no more than 6km per run albeit its got a couple of decent climbs in the course. Decent pace and it ends with a half a mile climb to the finish. Got a long term nagging nerve pain in my right leg though which is getting progessively worse.

Running year will be setup towards EMF Marathon in May - first marathon so it's main priority. Probably do Meadows 10K again in March, but may do the half-marathon instead. Probably do Dundee Half DRAM again but if May goes well, might step up to full DRAM. Also fancying Glencoe Marathon.

Off to a good start by running into work this morning. 

I've had a great first year running last year, really enjoyed it!

For this year I have planned

April - Southampton half marathon

May - Durrell Challange in Jersey (13km)

June - Jersey half marathon

November - Marathon either San sebastian again or Valencia (anyone run this one?)

I would like to get my half marathon time down to sub 1hr 50 (current PB 1hr 58).

Also want to get sub 4hr for my 2nd marathon (1st one 4hr 14min last Nov)

First of all want to lose another 2-3 stone which will help me get there!

I used to be pretty fit when I played football, would train 3 days a week and play a game or 2 a week and it was never a problem. Would also go to the gym before training once a week as well which turned it into a 3 hour training session and would go to the gym on the days I didn't have training so would do 6 days a week most of the time.

Even with that I could never really run long distances, a combination of getting very bored and tired. 10k is the most I would ever do at the gym really.

Since I stopped playing and then the kids coming along which has hit doing regular exercise I am now 5 stone heavier than I was 4 years ago!!

Going to try and start back up again doing some exercise and try to shift that weight by July...

Edited by iainmac1

Iainmac1

Similar story to me and probably 6 stone over 10 years. Loved five aside football and would always play 3-4 times a week.  Once the kids came along suddenly found had less and less time to look after myself!  Exercise is great and really enjoying the running,  To be honest, diet is probably 75% of the issue! If you can sort out the food and drink then exersise is a bonus.  Keeping it simple - Eat Less, Drink Less, Sleep more and excercise more. 

I hated running when I was younger, took it up about 5 years back and love it now. Suffered a bit with injury last year (a calf muscle tear in the autumn, then a groin strain in early December) but back into it now. Anyway so far I have the following lined up:

Devilla Forest 15k 19/2

Torrevieja Half  26/2

Lasswade 10 6/3

Gartmorn 6  12/3

Cartmel 10k Trail  18/3 and/or Loch Katrine Half  19/3 (not sure what I'm going to do about this yet)

Edinburgh Kilomathon  9/4

Playas del Pilar Half   23/4

Probably sign up for Loch Leven Half in May too.

Edited by Pool Q

February - National XC

March - King's Buildings 5 miler and maybe Tom Scott's 10 miler

April - Jim Dingwall round the houses 10k and London Marathon.

London is my big target. Marathon training started last week - it will be my first full marathon. I'm lookign forward to it, and hopefully breaking a few other PBs along the way.

Hope no-one minds a request for a bit of advice? I'm after a new running watch but don't do enough to really justify one of the top of the range devices. Instead, I've been looking at the kind of hybrid watches in between the basic fitbit and the proper watch. Ideally I'd like something with GPS which provides decent enough stats without having to spend a fortune. I've been looking at the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ but before I take the plunge I was wondering if anyone on here has any useful advice? Cheers!

This is the one I use, Garmin Forerunner: goo.gl/rPKOLV

It's less than 100 quid and I find it quite useful, especially for continuous runs. It's easy to use, and then you can quickly sync up to the computer and see the map of your run, pace along the route, and comparisons with other runs etc.

I've only had it for a couple of months, and I would say my only real peeve with it is that it's not easy to use if you are doing a speed session and want to record each rep individually, especialy for short reps 2-800m etc. It's a bit of a fouter having to save each rep, and also waiting for the GPS can sometimes take over 1 minute (sometimes a matter of seconds, though). That's fine if you are training alone, but you can't hold everybody in a group back when you are waiting for a signal.

I'd give it about 7/10 and if you aren't doing a lot of speed work then I think it's ideal. Plenty of interesting stats.

2 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Hope no-one minds a request for a bit of advice? I'm after a new running watch but don't do enough to really justify one of the top of the range devices. Instead, I've been looking at the kind of hybrid watches in between the basic fitbit and the proper watch. Ideally I'd like something with GPS which provides decent enough stats without having to spend a fortune. I've been looking at the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ but before I take the plunge I was wondering if anyone on here has any useful advice? Cheers!

I don't know much about activity trackers but DC Rainmaker blog is a great place for exercise tech information.  His reviews are certainly detailed!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-vivosmarthr-review.html

You might be better picking up a cheap GPS watch, like the_burger mentions above, and a seperate activity tracker.

I've got a fitbit surge which is fine, but the Garmins are better made i think.

I'm on my third fitbit in about 14 months- keep breaking the straps.

They will give you a free replacement though.

Anyway, all I've got so far this year is the Edinburgh marathon, Will get a few others sorted once I get the holidays arranged,

On 11/01/2017 at 9:58 AM, wee-toon-red said:

If your only really looking for a GPS, calorie counter, speed, distance counter etc and you use your smart phone there are loads of free apps you could use instead of buying a watch that just gives u the same info. I've been using 'runtastic' for years and gives me everything I really need. Even the free version gives you the stats I've listed above and stores each individual run. I still just strap my phone to my arm even if I'm not using my phone to listen to anything.

Like someone said above unless you are closely monitoring your distance and speed while running then watches are obviously easier but I would recommend looking at all the freebies available to see if they suit what you are looking for before throwing money at anything.

My year's looking like this at the moment:

29th Jan - Meltham 10k
12th Mar - Silverstone Half Marathon
23rd Apr - London Marathon
29th Apr - Highland Fling Relay
Apr-Jul - York and District 10k league races
4th Jun - Milngavie Trail Race
3rd Sep - Glen Moray Marathon
15th Sep - Mamores VK
16th Sep - Ring of Steall Skyrace
12th Nov - Dalby Dash 10k

Also considering the Dales Trails series of races

• 1 month later...
On 6 January 2017 at 3:22 PM, Pool Q said:

I hated running when I was younger, took it up about 5 years back and love it now. Suffered a bit with injury last year (a calf muscle tear in the autumn, then a groin strain in early December) but back into it now. Anyway so far I have the following lined up:

Devilla Forest 15k 19/2

Torrevieja Half  26/2

Lasswade 10 6/3

Gartmorn 6  12/3

Cartmel 10k Trail  18/3 and/or Loch Katrine Half  19/3 (not sure what I'm going to do about this yet)

Edinburgh Kilomathon  9/4

Playas del Pilar Half   23/4

Probably sign up for Loch Leven Half in May too.

How did Devilla go for you? Course wasn't as tough as last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...