2017 running thread - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 running thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, McToot said:

Finish area was a bit of a farce. 

Loops at the end weren't great. 

Enjoyed the first half and running through centre of Stirling. I'm sure they'll make tweaks to improve it. 

Anyone doing EMF this weekend?

Aye. Marathon tomorrow. You?

Quite looking forward to it, now I know the weather is looking a bit more overcast.

Good luck to anyone else involved.

7 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Edinburgh Marathon done in 3h 48mins. Was completely broken after 18 miles - the turn at far end was soul destroying. Not in a hurry to repeat - will stick to half marathons I think. 

Great effort. Found it really warm out there, and the wind kept dropping off - back in about 4.44 myself

Aye, that part of the course, and the run into the country house bit are bad.

27 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Great effort. Found it really warm out there, and the wind kept dropping off - back in about 4.44 myself

Aye, that part of the course, and the run into the country house bit are bad.

Well done yerself. Respect to anyone getting round a full marathon. Boy I was speaking to at the end had just finished his 41st marathon - f***ing mental. How do people find the time and energy to train for marathons?! 

If I am ever tempted to run another, it won't be Edinburgh - last 3rd was an awful experience to essentially pound the streets just down the road. Will take a top tier event to persuade me to give it another go.

23 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Well done yerself. Respect to anyone getting round a full marathon. Boy I was speaking to at the end had just finished his 41st marathon - f***ing mental. How do people find the time and energy to train for marathons?! 

If I am ever tempted to run another, it won't be Edinburgh - last 3rd was an awful experience to essentially pound the streets just down the road. Will take a top tier event to persuade me to give it another go.

I think some people just treat it like any other 'hobby' - for example, my cousin and her husband have done 30+ marathons between them, so holidays, time off, etc, is all planned around that. Their group of friends are all the same. They were telling me they once met a lady that has done the 50 in 52- basically a marathon in each state of the US over 1 year :shocked:

I'm the same with Edinburgh. Done 3 half marathons along that route now, and one of the legs of a marathon relay. Hate it. Like you say, the last part is hideous on the legs. And the training takes up so much time.

Anyway, next goal is to get a half under 1:50. Been 1 minute off a couple of times. Hoping the marathon training helps with that,

Good stuff. Im going back to halfs now as well. If I can give some advice and you arent already doing it, look at doing specific training if you want to improve pace. Threshold and interval runs are great alternatives to just going out and running a certain distance - especially if short of time during week. 

Doing Milngavie trail race this Sunday but up all weekend as we're planning Bidean nam Bian on Saturday.  I'm thinking of doing a Glasgow parkrun before the mountain though, I've done Pollok before a couple times, any other recommended ones - looking at Springburn, Victoria or Drumchapel at the moment.

Well done on the EMF marathon guys. I only did the half this year. The route for the full thing is soul destroying when you see everyone heading back the other way. 

On the subject of doing lots of marathons. We met a couple in budapest when we were en route to the Slovakia game last October who had just done the marathon there. They done over 400! I guess he doesn't need to train though. Just does one every other week. 

On 30/05/2017 at 8:21 AM, Auld_Reekie said:

Good stuff. Im going back to halfs now as well. If I can give some advice and you arent already doing it, look at doing specific training if you want to improve pace. Threshold and interval runs are great alternatives to just going out and running a certain distance - especially if short of time during week. 

Cheers - I'll do that. Seems sensible.

On 24 May 2017 at 9:39 AM, scot scotland scottish said:

I done it - my lasting memory of it will be the support from the locals in the towns. They were outstanding!

Crowds were superb from Deanston to Stirling. My 1st marathon doubt I'll do another 1. Managed to just sneak sub 4 at 3.59.47