Touring The States By Driving - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Touring The States By Driving

Ormond

Really contemplating cancelling my proposed Slovenia trip this year and concentrating on doing a 3 week tour of the States. 
Looking at hiring one of those decent sized motorhome things and setting off along the border towards Seattle the first week, down the coast to California the second week, then the third going through Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and then home. I've done a lot of the major cities and stuff but always flown in and out of them. This way I can take my dogs and have no hotels to book while seeing more of the country.

Has anyone else done anything like this before and does anything really stick in your memory about it?

I think your itinerary might be a bit ambitious TBH.  I suspect you could logistically do that but you'll be doing the equivalent of driving from London to Glasgow every day for three weeks with little time for sightseeing  

I've done four 3-4 week road trips in the states including some of the route your proposing.

Two years ago, I went from Chicago to Denver and back, it was a great trip but knackering.  On the way out, I went via Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Deadwood, Badlands, and .Mount Rushmore.  That took seven days although as I spent two nights in bothe Milwaulkee and Minneapolis it was five days driving.  I recall the drive from Milwaulkee to Minneapolis - 350 miles - being pretty tough but that was mainly as it was pouring with rain all day and I still wasn't that used to the car.  The drive from Minneapolis to Pierre, SD - 450 miles - was unreal.  It was a lovely sunny day but the roads in the Midwest here are arrow straight and there was a constant cross wind that meant I had to grip the wheel to fight against. When I got out of the car I thought my arms were going to drop off.

I've also done highway one in California and if you're on a driving holiday going from San Francisco to LA, that's the way to do it, it really does live up to the hype.  I'd leave yourself three days for that as well.

I'd definately go for it but would look at the itinerary and be a bit more realistic.   How about doing the classic Route 66 down to LA and either head down to San Diego, through New Mexico, Arizona and Texas before heading back up broadly following the Missisippi.

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think your itinerary might be a bit ambitious TBH.  I suspect you could logistically do that but you'll be doing the equivalent of driving from London to Glasgow every day for three weeks with little time for sightseeing  

I've done four 3-4 week road trips in the states including some of the route your proposing.

Two years ago, I went from Chicago to Denver and back, it was a great trip but knackering.  On the way out, I went via Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Deadwood, Badlands, and .Mount Rushmore.  That took seven days although as I spent two nights in bothe Milwaulkee and Minneapolis it was five days driving.  I recall the drive from Milwaulkee to Minneapolis - 350 miles - being pretty tough but that was mainly as it was pouring with rain all day and I still wasn't that used to the car.  The drive from Minneapolis to Pierre, SD - 450 miles - was unreal.  It was a lovely sunny day but the roads in the Midwest here are arrow straight and there was a constant cross wind that meant I had to grip the wheel to fight against. When I got out of the car I thought my arms were going to drop off.

I've also done highway one in California and if you're on a driving holiday going from San Francisco to LA, that's the way to do it, it really does live up to the hype.  I'd leave yourself three days for that as well.

I'd definately go for it but would look at the itinerary and be a bit more realistic.   How about doing the classic Route 66 down to LA and either head down to San Diego, through New Mexico, Arizona and Texas before heading back up broadly following the Missisippi.

I used to think like that when I first arrived but not now. It's quite normal here to drive for 300-400 miles a day. It's not really the cities I'm looking at as I've done a lot of them by flying. My Wife is a big driver too so it doesn't phase her. We've been on drives back and forth to the likes of Niagara Falls which is 10 hours one way. We done another drive into Manhattan NYC which was cool. That was the same length one way. My job when I first arrived took me all over half a dozen states when I first came here and it doesn't worry me now the length. Weird I know because back home the thought of driving to London was exhausting 3 years ago. 

It's the scenery here that I feel I'm missing out on as I'm stuck in that flat, pishy Midwest. 

I actually live right on Route 66 actually. :lol:

Edited by Ormond

The Mrs and I toured round California, Utah, Arizona and Nevada over the space of a month.
We limited ourselves to about 100-150 miles of driving each day, though, as it can get tiring and you also want the opportinuty to actually get out and see things.

Although we had certain places we needed to be at certain times, a lot of it we could just make up on the hoof, and that's probably the best part.
I'd never have known beautiful Springdale, UT was; or how scarily steep Old Priest Grade in Coulterville, CA was; what the best preserved section of Route66 looked like between Seligman and Kingman, AZ; or how you could go from the burst couches on the street and bail bond shops of Long Beach to the bleached teeth and poodles in handbags of Palos Verdes so quickly.

If you were offering me the Slovenia game or a tour across America now, I certainly wouldn't be picking what may well be a dead rubber in Ljubljana.

On 1/2/2017 at 5:48 PM, Ormond said:

Really contemplating cancelling my proposed Slovenia trip this year and concentrating on doing a 3 week tour of the States. 
Looking at hiring one of those decent sized motorhome things and setting off along the border towards Seattle the first week, down the coast to California the second week, then the third going through Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and then home. I've done a lot of the major cities and stuff but always flown in and out of them. This way I can take my dogs and have no hotels to book while seeing more of the country.

Has anyone else done anything like this before and does anything really stick in your memory about it?

Ormond, that sounds fab - We've done several trips in a motorhome in the US - Canadian Rockies too.

I'd agree with the 'ambitious' comment though, given what you're looking to pack in, even across 3 weeks. Driving an RV is a lot more tiring (for me anyway) than a car. Sure, you can clip along at 70/80 mph no bother, it just takes more out of you I feel.

Our trip last summer ( Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria/Yellowstone NP, then back to Seattle via Idaho & Oregon) was over 17 days, and nothing (Distance wise) by comparison to what you look to be planning. I was goosed when we returned. I won't be in a rush to do another for a while either. Far better with quality than quantity IMO - Regardless of how stunning the scenery is.

That said, The RV's are a great way to do it, you'd need to check the pet policy though, as not all will take dogs. Those that do may have a premium added too.

Yosemite is another great trip if you're 'turning left' at Washington State, and down through Oregon / California. Parts of Oregon are beautiful too, and the Wineries are far better (Again, IMO) than ones further South. (Napa)

Personally, I'd 'turn right' at Seattle though, and head up to BC. If it's scenery you're after, the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler is spectacular. Don't stop at Whistler either......Continue across to Banff / Jasper (Lake Louise / Athabasca Glacier - Wow!) and back via the Okanagon Valley. (Hot Springs)

One final thing......Again, my preference, would be to pick the area you want to see the most, use 3/4 nights to get there and 3/4 night to return, then spend quality time enjoying that state(s). Alternatively, get a flight and pick up the motorhome near / at the destination you want to tour.

I'd 'sack' Slovenia that's for sure - Good luck / Enjoy! 

We took 2 weeks in October to do Vegas - San Fran - LA.  via Yosemite, Death Valley, Pacific Highway etc...

I had never driven abroad, and a few hundred miles a day wasn't all that bad to be honest.  If you plan it right, but give yourself some leeway for emergencies, or bad weather you should be fine.  Plan it on google maps

After talking with 'er indoors, we have decided to half our trip due to the costs of doing it over three weeks. A decent motorhome for hire is serious money for a start not taking into account the fuel and other costs. So looking at just doing Seattle and back now. It was Montana and Washington states I was looking forward to the most in the first place so I'd still get to do them.

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm just half guessing that car hire + motels would be cheaper and easier than a motorhome, but it all sounds good.   Enjoy!

We have a decent sized car. I just think cooping up two dogs in the boot is a bit shite for them.

21 hours ago, Ormond said:

After talking with 'er indoors, we have decided to half our trip due to the costs of doing it over three weeks. A decent motorhome for hire is serious money for a start not taking into account the fuel and other costs. So looking at just doing Seattle and back now. It was Montana and Washington states I was looking forward to the most in the first place so I'd still get to do them.

That's still a trek there & back in 3 weeks Ormond - 4500 miles ish?

Could someone look after the dogs for you? (Just a thought as I'd want to take mine too)

If so, you could fly to Seattle and get a one way rental back to Chicago. (yes?) From memory, Cruise America's (I think) one way hire rates are pretty decent.

My take on the I-90 through Montana is 'Boring as feck' - Once you get into Washington State though, after Coeur D'Alene, it becomes more appealing. (And greener!) A couple of things to consider 1/ You'll 'pass' Yellowstone NP (Stunning!) going either way. 2/ Leavenworth in Wenatchee NP (Cascades) is a pretty little town, and there's shit loads to do (Outdoor Sports) in the area. 

Pike Place & The Needle are worth the effort in Seattle. Mount Rainier is a decent trip too. The Puget Sound in and around Olympia (State Capital) is a nice place to spend some time as well, IMO.

It would be good to know how you got on if/as/when you do it......

Stand Free ;) 

When I was 20, me and two guys bought a Dodge Ram van up in Vermont for 500 bucks and drove it over to LA where we sold it for a grand before flying home.  Highlights of the trip were Washington DC (where one guy jumped ship after a successful soccer trial for Georgetown), New Orleans, the Sonora desert in northern Mexico, Tomstone, Arizona, the Grand Canyon, San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  We slept in the back of the van most nights and my mileage record was 600 in one night.  Good luck for the trip.  I'll be going to Ljubliana but would prefer to be on the beach in Santa Cruz (and 20 again!).