Puzzler - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

They baith hae my Mither? Some shaggger she wis.

Ignore me.

No

35 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Bill's born on February 29th, Bob on March 1st?

No, both born on the same day.

4 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Maybe some ludicrously contrived situation where they are born on a plane flying across the international date line?

No, but not that far away!!

3 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Or there are actually two sets of twins with Bob and Bill being from different sets.

No.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That wouldn't make him older. it would just mean he was born at an earlier time stamp on your chosen timeframe. Scientifically speaking, it would come down to how you define "older". 

Well to suit my agenda I define older as the time registered on Bill & Bob's birth certificates!! :P

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Well to suit my agenda I define older as the time registered on Bill & Bob's birth certificates!! :P

Even if those birth certificates were wrong? The data on any bit of paper is only any good if the person who fills it in, knows how to do it properly.

For your scenario to work, Bill would need to be born on the day the clocks change between 0000 hours and 0100 hours. Let's assume 0030. And let's assume that Bob was born 50 minutes later (ie after the clocks were changed). This would now be 0020. You might think that 0020 should be earlier than 0030 but in this case it isn't. The times should be recorded as 0030 BST and 0020 GMT. This a fine example of the importance of defining the units of measurement which are to be used. Many scientists get caught out with that one.:ok:

Fish still wins the prize for the best answer.:wave:

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Even if those birth certificates were wrong? The data on any bit of paper is only any good if the person who fills it in, knows how to do it properly.

For your scenario to work, Bill would need to be born on the day the clocks change between 0000 hours and 0100 hours. Let's assume 0030. And let's assume that Bob was born 50 minutes later (ie after the clocks were changed). This would now be 0020. You might think that 0020 should be earlier than 0030 but in this case it isn't. The times should be recorded as 0030 BST and 0020 GMT. This a fine example of the importance of defining the units of measurement which are to be used. Many scientists get caught out with that one.:ok:

Sorry, according to sky news 74% of the united population agree with Fairbairn ? 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I cannae believe you took time out from telling the kids that Santa insnae real to type that!!

27 minutes ago, dusseldorf mark said:

I've got two nieces, they are sisters (to each other!)

born almost at the same time, on the same day, same place, same mother, same father

but they are not twins

howzat then?

same biological mother but different birth mothers. One sister carried by birth mother. Other sister carried by a surrogate who was implanted with a fertilised egg from the biological mother.

13 hours ago, dusseldorf mark said:

born almost at the same time, on the same day, same place, same mother, same father

but they are not twins

howzat then?

They were born a year or two years or three years etc. apart.

Edited by Alibi

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, dusseldorf mark said:

but they are not twins

howzat then?

A brother was born along with them so the 2 of them and him are triplets?