Outer Hebrides - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Outer Hebrides

DOUBLE A

Heading to outer Hebrides for a week in June, got digs sorted so looking for a bit of advice for things to see and do on Barra, the Uist's/Benbecula then Harris and Lewis, got a couple of days in each area so any help would be appreciated

Apart from a game of golf at Askernish the rest of the time is free 

South Uist - The Polochar Inn is great. It's a good few years since I went though, but it's a fantastic setting plus they often have folk music, etc. on.

Eriskay - Pony spotting & the Politician pub. The pub is relatively modern but lots of stuff in there about the whisky galore story.

I was in Harris & Lewis not too long since. I went to see the place where they did the old rocket mail experiment; the name escapes me but it's a nice spot & a lovely drive to get there. I wasn't mad on Stornoway, but there's a couple of decent pubs around. I drove over a causeway to a smaller island just past the airport; again the name escapes me but that was nice.

I also discovered the story up there of the Iolaire which I'd not come across before. There's a memorial near Stornoway.

Thanks for the replies folks, managed to find a couple of threads on the archive board (yes it still exists) which has some good advice 

The Politician was on the agenda but just been reading about the wild horses, taking the dog with us so likely a few walks on the numerous beaches will be the order of the day

Huddiesfield, like you I hadn't heard about the Iolaire before but was at a Skippnish gig during Celtic Connections last year and they had recorded a new song about it, if you get a chance have a listen to it on YouTube, it pretty haunting

Will see how the week goes but might require another trip at some point 

the old missile base on South Uist is interesting, you can drive around it.  Make sure you visit Vatersay if you get to Barra, you can see an old plane crash wreckage still on the mountainside as you drive to it.

My favourite place was Bosta Beach on Little Berneray, you reach it via a small causeway from Lewis, cracking beach and there is also a stone age hut to visit there that was found around 15 years ago after a big storm.

3 hours ago, giblet said:

the old missile base on South Uist is interesting, you can drive around it.  Make sure you visit Vatersay if you get to Barra, you can see an old plane crash wreckage still on the mountainside as you drive to it.

My favourite place was Bosta Beach on Little Berneray, you reach it via a small causeway from Lewis, cracking beach and there is also a stone age hut to visit there that was found around 15 years ago after a big storm.

Bosta beach is on Bernera or great bernera proper name..... little bernera you can only access from a short journey by boat its a iron age house that has been reconstructed after a storm in 1993 plenty of old ruined blackhouses still there though if y can find them tucked above the iron aged  reconstruction as you cross the bridge onto bernera there are standing stones on your left up the hill 

On 1/10/2017 at 10:12 PM, Huddersfield said:

South Uist - The Polochar Inn is great. It's a good few years since I went though, but it's a fantastic setting plus they often have folk music, etc. on.

Eriskay - Pony spotting & the Politician pub. The pub is relatively modern but lots of stuff in there about the whisky galore story.

I was in Harris & Lewis not too long since. I went to see the place where they did the old rocket mail experiment; the name escapes me but it's a nice spot & a lovely drive to get there. I wasn't mad on Stornoway, but there's a couple of decent pubs around. I drove over a causeway to a smaller island just past the airport; again the name escapes me but that was nice.

I also discovered the story up there of the Iolaire which I'd not come across before. There's a memorial near Stornoway.

Sounds like the rocket mail place is Huisinis, and if you made it to the beach at the end and thought it a "lovely drive" well done! 

The smaller island isn't realy an Island it's a place called Point, I wouldn't go there as people from Point live there. 

There was a debate in TA Specific about remembrance day. I think the Iolaire disaster is one of the main reasons the First World War will never be forgotten on the Islands.

If you are taking golf clubs with you get a round in at Scarista golf course on the west side of Harris it is well worth a go. the old 9th hole is beside the sea(it might be the 7th now) is fun.

Rodel church in South Harris is well worth an hour of your time if you like that sort of 15th century stuff.  The nearby Anchorage restaurant at Leverburgh pier is good for a decent meal- Although I think you need to book.

The two pubs in Tarbert, the nearest thing to a town on Harris, are pretty naff, sort of " we used to be a pub but everyone left the islands so now just exist for passing tourists"

A wee trip down to Scalpay is nice(small Island with a pretty bridge and a light house) with the North Harbour Bistro a nice place to have lunch/dinner- need to book in  advance though.

Stornoway on Lewis is the main Town on the Island Has Chinese, Indian and Thai restaurants as well as the usual sort of stuff.

Pubs vary, Era is for teenagers and the Criterion is for old men.

The Crown and Macneils are middle of the road type pubs you can see all over Scotland and are good for a drink. The Star inn is a very friendly place(every one knows every one)  that hasn't changed much in a 100 years.

Finally the Lewis which hasn't changed ever! Live music on a Saturday night til late-great laugh if you are drunk enough. Can get a bit wild!

Also the sea Angling Club and the Golf Club have a variety of events on some weekend so well worth a look.