Likely Pre-Slovenia Friendly - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Likely Pre-Slovenia Friendly

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

SSC tickets are £15 and a fiver for kids. Non SSC are £22 and kids a tenner.

12000?

I normally organise transport to home games for about 30+. When I asked last night who would be going or even interested I got no response other than the ones telling me no. :lol:1200 more like. Think I’ll drive an take the wee man

On January 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM, jamboman said:

From someone who now lives in Canada, the team is pish! Though i can see Marcus Haber (Dundee) bossing Grant Hanley up and down and a Scott Arfield assist, who has looked very good and showed great passion when he played for them. Sad to say.  

I hear Strachan now..... " Strong team... Very good 4-2 result against Bermuda... Away i might add... Not a must win game"

As a life-long Canadian supporter, I can't argue that Canada is pish, but that being said, we sent out an absolute disaster of a side about 2 1/2 years ago and only lost 1-0 in Slovenia against close to their first team at the time. If Canada has some of its key players, I think we'll provide a good test before Slovenia. If we don't, we won't and Scotland will win and it will all be fairly pointless for both of us. But I hope we send a proper team, have a manager in place and give you a good test.

If we're using the likes of Marcus Haber, forget about it.

Regarding the Bermuda result, it was a dead-of-winter domestic friendly on a non-FIFA date with four debutants who may never get a second cap and we had a defender in goal for the final 40 minutes. It was what it was. 

Having made the trip to Easter Road in 2002, I wanted to thank everyone who was there and whom we met pre- and post-match for making it such an enjoyable day out. Pretty sure I'm not going to bother this time around, but it is tempting.

Also re: U21s. We typically don't play a youth fixture before a friendly (we didn't in 2002, but Scotland played a different European nations U21s), but if we qualify for the under-20 World Cup (qualifying tournament begins in a few weeks), I can see us trying to get that squad back together as often as possible to prepare for the summer. 

cheers,

hobbes

51 minutes ago, hobbes said:

As a life-long Canadian supporter, I can't argue that Canada is pish, but that being said, we sent out an absolute disaster of a side about 2 1/2 years ago and only lost 1-0 in Slovenia against close to their first team at the time. If Canada has some of its key players, I think we'll provide a good test before Slovenia. If we don't, we won't and Scotland will win and it will all be fairly pointless for both of us. But I hope we send a proper team, have a manager in place and give you a good test.

If we're using the likes of Marcus Haber, forget about it.

Regarding the Bermuda result, it was a dead-of-winter domestic friendly on a non-FIFA date with four debutants who may never get a second cap and we had a defender in goal for the final 40 minutes. It was what it was. 

Having made the trip to Easter Road in 2002, I wanted to thank everyone who was there and whom we met pre- and post-match for making it such an enjoyable day out. Pretty sure I'm not going to bother this time around, but it is tempting.

Also re: U21s. We typically don't play a youth fixture before a friendly (we didn't in 2002, but Scotland played a different European nations U21s), but if we qualify for the under-20 World Cup (qualifying tournament begins in a few weeks), I can see us trying to get that squad back together as often as possible to prepare for the summer. 

cheers,

hobbes

Hi hobbes.

I think it's great to have a Canadian on here providing a maple leaf's point of view. B)

From this Scotland fan anyway, I am really sorry for the fools who are writing off Canada and claiming that we (Scotland) will win easily. A lot of the stupid comments, on twitter especially, were from dozens of idiots who's football knowledge is confined to the sports pages of the Daily Record (a trashy newspaper for idiots we have over here) and their FIFA 17 console game. 

Canada's national team and indeed, domestic game has made steady and respectable progress since 2000. I realise it's tough as well for football/soccer over yonder to compete with ice hockey, baseball, American "football" and basketball for participants, funding and spectators. 

If Lithuania can hold us to a miserable 1-1 draw at Hampden then Canada can easily provide a shock at Easter Road.

On 24/01/2017 at 3:54 PM, Reevesy said:

Are we likely to play a friendly before the England game in June?

Some of our players could be in the position of not playing a game for 3 weeks before it.

I think it is very likely we will play a game before the England game in June. 

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

From this Scotland fan anyway, I am really sorry for the fools who are writing off Canada and claiming that we (Scotland) will win easily.

Dear oh dear.

If people believe we will beat a team 53 places below us in the world rankings easily then they don't need you to "apologise" on their behalf.

Fair enough if you think differently but your post is cringeworthy.

Edited by Reevesy

Thanks for the welcome ErsatzThistle. I follow Scotland as well, so I read the forum (I used to post, but my post count has disappeared) and keep pretty close tabs on Scotland. I do think you should be favoured at home and should get the result. 

In the last two years we’ve lost 1-0 to a full-strength Colombia (No. 6) and drew Costa Rica (No. 17) in a competitive match. We also recently beat Mauritania (No. 113) 4-0 with a reserve side and we’re still behind them in the rankings. We’re not going to Russia and we’ve done nothing of note to earn anyone’s respect, so I have no problem being dismissed. But the FIFA rankings are a complete farce.

We also recently played friendlies with an interim manager and without any regular midfielders or our best forwards and we lost to Morocco (No. 57) in match that was closer than the score and to South Korea (No. 37) with a scoreline that flattered us and dropped even farther down the rankings. If we bring a similar side to Easter Road we’ll lose and Scotland might well win easily. If we bring our first team it should be a good match I think. 

cheers, hobbes

Edited by hobbes

9 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Dear oh dear.

If people believe we will beat a team 53 places below us in the world rankings easily then they don't need you to "apologise" on their behalf.

Fair enough if you think differently but your post is cringeworthy.

There's such a thing as showing a little bit of respect and courtesy towards your opponents no matter who they are or where they come from. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't cost anything you know. Try it sometime.

Do you seriously think we'll chalk up a 6-0 win against Canada ? We won't. 

What I find cringeworthy is Scotland fans (who should know a lot better) writing off another team despite knowing sod all about them, claiming if they haven't heard of their players then they "must be pish", speculating how many we'll win by and grossly overestimating our currently below average team's chances. That's called stupidity.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There's such a thing as showing a little bit of respect and courtesy towards your opponents no matter who they are or where they come from. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't cost anything you know. Try it sometime.

Do you seriously think we'll chalk up a 6-0 win against Canada ? We won't. 

What I find cringeworthy is Scotland fans (who should know a lot better) writing off another team despite knowing sod all about them, claiming if they haven't heard of their players then they "must be pish", speculating how many we'll win by and grossly overestimating our currently below average team's chances. That's called stupidity.

I didn't say we'd win 6-0. In fact, I didn't say we would win at all so you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

As for showing respect and courtesy to an opponent, that might be true if you're a player but I don't think it matters that much on a fans message board. Particularly when it's a board aimed primarily at Scotland fans.

Like I said, you don't need to apologise bon anyone else's behalf. Especially not for stuff that you've made up in your head like people saying players are pish because they haven't heard of them.

Just now, Reevesy said:

I didn't say we'd win 6-0. In fact, I didn't say we would win at all so you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

As for showing respect and courtesy to an opponent, that might be true if you're a player but I don't think it matters that much on a fans message board. Particularly when it's a board aimed primarily at Scotland fans.

Like I said, you don't need to apologise bon anyone else's behalf. Especially not for stuff that you've made up in your head like people saying players are pish because they haven't heard of them.

It's aimed at Scotland fans but there is absolutely nothing wrong with fans of other countries coming on here. In fact it makes the debate a lot more interesting - when we played the Republic of Ireland there was some great discussion with the dozen or so Irish fans on here. Livens the place up anyway.

Check the relevant SFA pages on twitter and facebook when the game was announced. Plenty of idiots slagging off Canada (when they know nothing at all about them) and predicting that we'll use this game for target practice. The very same idiots no doubt who thought we'd beat Lithuania at home and Slovakia away with ease.

2 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Another point is that traffic on this board is pretty slow these days - perhaps reflecting declining interest in/enthusiasm for the Scotland national side. Supporters of other national teams are doubly welcome.

Or perhaps it's just a reflection on us not having a game since November?